A question about men's league

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Call them and ask! I know of people who have played in men's leagues here as young as 15 or 16 years old. It really depends on the league. If they're really strict about the age requirement and won't budge, just ask them if you can join in November after your birthday.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I'm looking to join next season, I'm 17 but will be turning 18 in November. It requires me to be 18 so will they except me?

Thanks

Call them up and ask. Sometimes it's a legal issue, other times it's just a logistics issue. If they do let you in, your parent/guardian may have to handle your paperwork.

From a practical perspective... I hope you're ready to get rocked. You may have a speed advantage, but you'll get thrown around like a ragdoll in your first season playing with men.

At 6'2 190lb, I went from being the biggest/strongest guy in minor hockey (house league ftw) to being average height, lanky, and weak.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yep, good point by noobman. With younger guys in men's league, I've found that they're able to zip around the ice and dangle and everything, but they're easy to push off the puck, and they have a tough time hanging in the corners and in front of the net.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Call them up and ask. Sometimes it's a legal issue, other times it's just a logistics issue. If they do let you in, your parent/guardian may have to handle your paperwork.

From a practical perspective... I hope you're ready to get rocked. You may have a speed advantage, but you'll get thrown around like a ragdoll in your first season playing with men.

At 6'2 190lb, I went from being the biggest/strongest guy in minor hockey (house league ftw) to being average height, lanky, and weak.

Really? im pretty much the same size as you and i try to keep this size as my ideal weight. Sometimes i get lazy and go up to 195-197 and have to bring it down.

Last edited:

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Really? im pretty much the same size as you and i try to keep this size as my ideal weight. Sometimes i get lazy and go up to 195-197 and have to bring it own.

Yeah, I think it really depends on body type. If you're 6'2" with a bigger frame and you're muscular, you can be 190 and be built pretty solid.

On the other hand, there are guys who have a skinnier frame, but are out of shape, like me, with a higher body fat %. I'm 6'2, about 200 and I'm pretty lanky out there like noobman.

pfloyd75

Sep 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
There is also a strength difference between a 18y/o and a 30y/o that are the same size and build. There was a thread a while back about "Man strength". Its weird how it works.

That said- as long as its a non checking league, size plays a diminished role.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
There is also a strength difference between a 18y/o and a 30y/o that are the same size and build. There was a thread a while back about "Man strength". Its weird how it works.

I would agree with that, but not every where on the ice my strength is a good asset in the corners, along the wall and in front of the net (in either end) I can protect the puck well, and hold my position well. Of course those younger guys with their speed in open ice Im usually screwed. I usually try to let them go outside for a bad angle shot while trying to stay in the passing lane. its funny when I catch them I own em, but catching them is usually the problem. but hey chasing some kids around helps keep me young so who cares anyways

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

True enough

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Most all recreational men's leagues are no check. Those that do allow checking are usually A leagues that have former pros and such.

As a 5'6 140 guy who plays in men's leagues, don't worry about it.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Most all recreational men's leagues are no check. Those that do allow checking are usually A leagues that have former pros and such.

Yah, most A leagues at the very least are full of Junior/College guys. Most, like you said, have tons of minor pro/ex-pro guys.

pfloyd75

Sep 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would agree with that, but not every where on the ice my strength is a good asset in the corners, along the wall and in front of the net (in either end) I can protect the puck well, and hold my position well. Of course those younger guys with their speed in open ice Im usually screwed. I usually try to let them go outside for a bad angle shot while trying to stay in the passing lane. its funny when I catch them I own em, but catching them is usually the problem. but hey chasing some kids around helps keep me young so who cares anyways

That's why I said "a diminished role" and not "no role". At 6-0 205 lbs, I use my size similarly in the leagues I play in. Dig in the corners, camp the crease, screen the goalie... laugh when a 5-9 130lb kid tries to move me.

densetsu

Like others have said, it depends on the league. Some are very strict, some are very lenient.

I don't think I signed anything at all in the league I'm in now, which really surprised me. In the other leagues I played in, they made sure you signed waiver forms in case of injuries or anythign else you could sue them for.

If you do manage to get in, try to keep the issue under wraps. I subbed for a team once... apparently five or six of the guys were ringers, and we were beating them decently bad. Midway through the second, the opposing team suspected we were full of ringers, and had the ref ask everyone for ID. This is rare, but can happen. If the opposing team knows you're underage (word tends to travel), they can pull a similar move if they're losing an important game.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
That's why I said "a diminished role" and not "no role". At 6-0 205 lbs, I use my size similarly in the leagues I play in. Dig in the corners, camp the crease, screen the goalie... laugh when a 5-9 130lb kid tries to move me.

Thats why I said I agree with you, although I would rather have the legs and lungs of my youth again.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, I'm only 5"11 170-175 pounds but I've never had a problem with size in men's league. As you said there is no checking and actually when I play C league hockey I would say I'm much stronger on my skates than most and usually get the best of bigger people in the corners or accidental collisions and such. Being strong on your skates far outweighs size in hockey. Now if someone is bigger than you and as strong as you on their skates then obviously they will have the advantage.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
It's not your size or your strength that get you in trouble on the ice, it's your attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad