A Quarter (Century) for Your Thoughts

sharkticon

Jul 13, 2007
Teal Town, CA
Hi all. This a write-up I did about the Sharks. Hope you enjoy it.

A Quarter (Century) for Your Thoughts

The San Jose Sharks Hockey Club turns twenty-five this season. For a quarter of a century, we have cheered on our teal clad team through good times and bad times. A Stanley Cup still eludes this team. Even a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals still eludes this team, and to some that means they have failed. However, as Marc-Édouard Vlasic's famille de Québécois might put it, "Au contraire, mon amis."

The San Jose Sharks may not have reached hockey's nirvana, but failures they are not. In their entire existence, the Sharks have only missed the playoffs six times! Not many professional sports teams can claim that. And while there are some younger expansion teams who have already been etched into Lord Stanley's prize, they have not had the same amount of success in reaching the playoffs, with the Ducks missing the post season ten times and Lighting missing it fourteen times. "Sharks Territory" is not even in double digit territory. I realize the point of a hockey club is to compete for the cup year in and year out, but would I trade what the Sharks have brought to San Jose for what the Ducks or Lightning have brought to their respective cities? Absolutely not.

In twenty-five years, the Sharks turned northern California into a hockey hotbed. This after another NHL franchise tried and failed (Remember the Golden Seals?). The Shark Tank (the unofficial official name for what is now called the SAP Arena) is considered one of the loudest arenas and hardest for a visiting teams to win. Hockey actually matters here... not just when the team makes a deep run in the playoffs. Every day hockey matters here. Every day you will see a Sharks logo. Every day there will be games played at the several Sharks Ice locations throughout the bay area. Every day there will be hockey. Not just the days when the team does well.

The Sharks Ice Adult Hockey League (SIAHL) is the largest adult hockey league in the entire country. Yes, that's including Massachusetts, Michigan, and Minnesota. SIAHL has around 5,000 adults playing ice hockey and the San Jose location is the largest rink facility west of the Mississippi. The Jr. Sharks program is credited in advancing the careers of NHL alumni (Matt Tennyson - Sharks, Viktor Tikhonov - Phoenix Coyotes, Alec Martinez - L.A. Kings, Brett Sutter - Calgary Flames, Casey Wellman - Minnesota Wild).

While the other two California teams can claim a Stanley Cup, we can claim undying loyalty... and it didn't take the greatest player of all time to get it. From day one, we've been there. Through the 1992-93 season, when the Sharks set the league record for most losses with seventy-one, as well as most consecutive losses in a row (seventeen), we were there. When they failed to make it past the second round of the playoffs year after year, we were there. When they were up three games to zero on the L.A. Kings, only to join the small club of teams to lose that same series, we were there. When they missed the playoffs after 10 consecutive years of playoffs appearances, we were there.

We were there for "Like Wall", Momma Gaetz, THE goal, Ricci's smile, Freezer, the called shot, Nabby's debut, the Thornton trade, the Cheechoo Train, the 5-on-3, and Ninja Hertl. And we'll be there next season. Because this is San Jose. Shark City, Teal Town, Fin-land if you will. We don teal proudly, despite it being an early nineties fashion trend. We bleed teal; we cry teal. This is the city that we love. This is the team that we love. This is Sharks Territory.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I am 100% sure that if the Sharks had won a cup or two while also having not made in the playoffs in a single other year, they'd be boasting about their cup win(s) as having absolved all of that.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

Enjoyed the write. Your post brought up some great memories and now that I think about it, a cup doesn't seem all that great. I mean you could be an LA fan watching a team in their prime and have to put up with them being average for 82 games. That's probably rougher than getting blue balled in the playoffs. Tough call to make cuz at the end of the day, its about entertainment and I know the sharks will make for a good afternoon.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
What's crazy is we have members here who are older than the team and others who are as old as or younger than the Sharks! Crazy.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I am 100% sure that if the Sharks had won a cup or two while also having not made in the playoffs in a single other year, they'd be boasting about their cup win(s) as having absolved all of that.

You can be 100% sure that every sport team will spin their positive the best way they can. Still, you have to admit, that is at least a substantial positive. Especially if you consider we were the 1st expansion team for a stretch so we were competing in those early years with a higher percentage of fully established teams. It could have easily taken even more than 6 years for the sharks to even have made the playoffs.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Enjoyed the write. Your post brought up some great memories and now that I think about it, a cup doesn't seem all that great. I mean you could be an LA fan watching a team in their prime and have to put up with them being average for 82 games. That's probably rougher than getting blue balled in the playoffs. Tough call to make cuz at the end of the day, its about entertainment and I know the sharks will make for a good afternoon.

I completely disagree. I would take a so so 82 games and winning a cup, over an amazing regular season, can't get the job done in the playoffs. You would prefer a couple more of our president trophy winning seasons and bounced in the first round? I don't care if the sharks make for a good afternoon, the sharks have had success no doubt. But they have yet to get it done, the kings have had the perfect season 2 times. They have won the cup, who cares if we won a few more games in regular season, there's were better. Although we have had many years of making playoffs, much like every other team. If some of the young guys do not pan out we are looking at some dark days in the next 5 years when joe patty are gone and pavs out of his prime. We are gonna have another drop off soon and have some struggles, I would rather have a cup when this happens. I could care less if were no good for some years.

sharkticon

Jul 13, 2007
Teal Town, CA
Believe me, I would trade our regular season success for a cup. Who wouldn't? But that was not the intention of my article. The Sharks have done so much to grow hockey in a non-traditional market and they did it. This is now a hockey market. Anaheim and Tampa bay have their loyal fans, but those arenas are virtually empty until the post season. The Kings (while having some regular season success before) didn't even matter to the majority of LA until the Gretzky trade. And when he left, they didn't care again until the first cup. If it weren't for the Sharks, I wouldn't be playing hockey myself and neither would a lot of the SIAHL. These are the things I wouldn't trade for a cup.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
I completely disagree. I would take a so so 82 games and winning a cup, over an amazing regular season, can't get the job done in the playoffs. You would prefer a couple more of our president trophy winning seasons and bounced in the first round? I don't care if the sharks make for a good afternoon, the sharks have had success no doubt. But they have yet to get it done, the kings have had the perfect season 2 times. They have won the cup, who cares if we won a few more games in regular season, there's were better. Although we have had many years of making playoffs, much like every other team. If some of the young guys do not pan out we are looking at some dark days in the next 5 years when joe patty are gone and pavs out of his prime. We are gonna have another drop off soon and have some struggles, I would rather have a cup when this happens. I could care less if were no good for some years.

I think part of that thought pro-cess on this board is because we haven't been "no good" for a LONG time. I'll agree with OP, I'd rather have what SJ has than what Anaheim has. I do not like it when SJ is so-so. Life is too short to live by having only 1 winner and 29 losers. LA waited, what, 40 years?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Believe me, I would trade our regular season success for a cup. Who wouldn't? But that was not the intention of my article. The Sharks have done so much to grow hockey in a non-traditional market and they did it. This is now a hockey market. Anaheim and Tampa bay have their loyal fans, but those arenas are virtually empty until the post season. The Kings (while having some regular season success before) didn't even matter to the majority of LA until the Gretzky trade. And when he left, they didn't care again until the first cup. If it weren't for the Sharks, I wouldn't be playing hockey myself and neither would a lot of the SIAHL. These are the things I wouldn't trade for a cup.

You have to wonder how the Sharks will do now, with their star sinking and the other Bay Area teams doing really, really well. The Sharks's rise coincided with pretty much every other Bay Area sports team struggling tremendously. That surely helped the Sharks get attention; Anaheim/LA and Tampa don't have that tremendous advantage.

EyeSeeSharks

Aug 18, 2015
Nice read. You make valid points when it comes to supporting this team. While not having a cup to call our own yet and enduring playoff letdowns, we Sharks fans have nothing to be ashamed of or nothing to apologize for.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad