Line Combos: a Proper 4th Line

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
The more we go trough this season the more Carlyle miss uses his 4th line. At the start of the season we had Broll and Levio and Devane up with the big club for a few games. They provided a youthful crash and bang mentality which has not been seen since.

Teams like Chicago, Boston , Sharks , Blues have players on there 4th line that can play a actual shift and provide the other 3 lines with a rest. They are defensively sound and pitch in with the off goal and fight.

So when will we see Carlyle play a palpable 4th line that can play a actual shift 6-11 minutes a night.

Colton Orr seems to be a favourite of the coach, but he brings nothing to this line up.He is shying away from fighting and that is his only skill. Well we see a more fresh line for the upcoming playoffs?

Ashton-McClement-Bodie?
Bodie-McClement-Broll?

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Ashton-McClement- Bodie would be decent, if we actually used our organizational depth this team would be pretty good.

A bottom six of: would be pretty cool.

D'Amigo- Bolland- Clarkson
Ashton- McClement- Bodie

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Mclaren-Mcclement-Orr

don%2Bcherry%2Bthumbs%2Bup.jpg

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
McLaren and Orr are useless being in the everyday lineup. There are simply no heavyweight fights anymore. They can be slotted in occasionally, but I would much rather see them both sit more often than not. Just make sure the players who replace them are still willing to drop the gloves. Ashton and Bodie would fit the bill.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Ashton-McClement- Bodie is good enough, considering we wouldn't have to call up the younger guys.

Shame that McLaren and Orr have done a 180 from last season. They could actually go out there, provide a decent shift, and get the energy going for the rest of the team. This year, they have been nothing but lifeless out there (especially McLaren; Orr you may still notice every now and then for something positive).

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Ashton-McClement- Bodie would be decent, if we actually used our organizational depth this team would be pretty good.

A bottom six of: would be pretty cool.

D'Amigo- Bolland- Clarkson
Ashton- McClement- Bodie

I agree, I don't know why this seems to be so difficult to realize. For now, swap Holland with Bolland.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
I know im in the minority but I dont mind Orr.

Orr-McClement-Ashton/Bodie is fine by me.

McLaren could be waived.

He should be waived. Orr is okay, but if you're throwing him on the 4th line, no way should McLaren be there as well, he shouldn't be there the way he's played this season.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I definitely agree with the OP on this.

4th line needs more versatility and substance.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Bodie+Ashton+Phaneuf+Gleason can all fight AND play actual hockey

Lupul has shown that he is willing to drop the gloves too with some players.

It's not always about winning the fight. More often than not it's just showing the willingness to fight that wakes up your team.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Ashton - McClement -D'Amigo / Bodie

Bodie in depending on if they have a tough guy or not. At least Bodie will drop the mitts but D'Amigo can be used for PKing and Ashton for his size same with Bodie. They're actually useful. I was the biggest supporter of Orr / McLaren but they just don't fight anymore, and when they do it's already too late. Hopefully they change that tonight or again, useless.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The thing with a fighter is you lose them for 5 minutes. I dont want Lupul, Dion, Timmy, or even Clarkson all that often gone for five minutes.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
why does Carlyle continue to do this ... he cant have a consistent 4th line EVER !!!..

Nonis has to step in and do something soon or he will run McLaren-McClement-Orr in the playoffs

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Bodie in depending on if they have a tough guy or not. At least Bodie will drop the mitts but D'Amigo can be used for PKing and Ashton for his size same with Bodie. They're actually useful. I was the biggest supporter of Orr / McLaren but they just don't fight anymore, and when they do it's already too late. Hopefully they change that tonight or again, useless.

It's true, he was. I thought the world was coming to an end when I saw DirtyDion change his stance on this :laugh:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

This sums up my feelings on the 4th line as well.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I'd still play Orr against Montreal/Ottawa/other teams with heavyweights but when the other team doesn't have one I'd rather play someone else.

Bodie - McClement - Ashton/Orr (depending on team)

I would waive McLaren though. I would rather see D'Amigo/Broll/Devane/Levio/a Marlie on a hot streak over him

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Do you guys think McLaren would clear waivers if he was sent down? He does have another year left which may deter other teams from claiming him. I would love to get him on the Marlies and see if he can get his game going. No sense having him rot in the pressbox when we have guys who can improve from practising with the Leafs and getting a game in here and there (D'amigo, Holland and Ashton), especially when Bolland is back and ice time gets even scarcer.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Kulemin/Clarkson
Holland Bolland Kulemin/Clarkson
Raymond McClement Bodie

4th line would have been our 3rd line most nights this year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Do you guys think McLaren would clear waivers if he was sent down? He does have another year left which may deter other teams from claiming him. I would love to get him on the Marlies and see if he can get his game going. No sense having him rot in the pressbox when we have guys who can improve from practising with the Leafs and getting a game in here and there (D'amigo, Holland and Ashton), especially when Bolland is back and ice time gets even scarcer.

What game? he's a goon, like Orr. These guys are completely useless 99% of the time and when they do try and scrap, like the other night, the linesmen purposely try and stop it because the NHL is trying to faze fighting out of the game. Guys who fight are evolving. We'll see guys now who can actually play the game fight, like a Bodie. If your only ability is throwing knuckles...welcome to the ECHL. I respect what Orr does but he serves little purpose to this team. When he is on the ice his line is constantly giving up chances,getting hemmed in the zone and icing the puck. I just don't see a positive here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad