a positive spin - we are making progress

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I took a look at the record we have so far and compared it to the record against those same teams last year. I lifted this idea from calgary puck.

STL 0-2-0
Nash - 0-1-0
Dal - 0-1-0
Cal 1-1-0
Van 1-0-0
Det 1-0-0
Wash 0-1-1
LA 0-2-0
Mont 1-0-0
Phil 1-0-0
Pit 0-1-0
Chi -0-1-0
Ana 1-0-0
Arizona -0-1-0

We got 33% of the possible points

Last year

STL - 02-1-
Nash 0-2-1
Dal 1-1-1
Cal 0-5-0
Van 0-3-2
Det 0-2-0
Wash 2-0-0
LA 2-3-0
Min 1-2-0
Mont -2-0-0
Phil 1-1-0
Pitt - 0-2-0
Chi 1-1-1
Ana 0-4-0
Arizona 0-4-1

we got 15.5% of the possible points.

IMO, we have played a pretty tough schedule and had significant injuries. Despite this, we are more than doubling our points from last year.

Progress, I guess

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wow, you guys are really pulling out all the stops.:laugh:

Seriously though, through my eyes, despite the pathetic showing of points, I truly believe we are better than last year by a fair bit. We have a lot more positive younger players now than ever before. Eventually, the things will tilt that way. Problem is, instead of getting completely blown out and outplayed, dumb stupid mistakes are now killing us. And I believe that we can fix those, either with some more time and experience, or moving out the offending bodies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Seriously though, through my eyes, despite the pathetic showing of points, I truly believe we are better than last year by a fair bit. We have a lot more positive younger players now than ever before. Eventually, the things will tilt that way. Problem is, instead of getting completely blown out and outplayed, dumb stupid mistakes are now killing us. And I believe that we can fix those, either with some more time and experience, or moving out the offending bodies.

EDM was .500 after Christmas the first year Eakins was hired. And even last year with Eakins before the wheels fell off, the team did play alot better than their record indicated. On here and the media were saying all of that. So to be perfectly honest, it's the same old song and dance. They work hard often, but continue to be a fragile group and lose close games. :shakehead 41 one goal games last year basically sums it up perfectly.

The big difference is that they are obviously much more structure with McLellan. So that is a good sign moving forward.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
The Oilers are in games this year and look alot better in structure. We have lost many points due to games we have let slip from our fingers off the top of my head:

- can't remember the team but Yakupov misses the breakaway and the play goes the other way. I think this was Dallas and Spezza scores to break the tie game. 2 lost points there.

- LA Kings the Connor McDavid goal that was not officially a goal but we all know it was over the line...completely. 1 or 2 lost points there.

- Against Minnesota McDavid has a breakaway with a few minutes left in regulation and he misses the net by centimeters after Dubnyk made a play knowing Connor's move. 1 or 2 lost points there.

- Calgary Flames - Talbot lets in the worst goal in all of the NHL 2015/16 season. Maybe tied with Bernier last night. 1 minute left in the game. 1 or 2 points lost.

- Calgary Flames - McDavid's assist to Pouliot I believe gets called back due to the stupid coaches challenge. Would have tied the game. 1 or 2 points lost.

- LA Kings again, a couple minutes left on the clock Talbot decides not to override passing to his open defenceman and hucks the puck up the side wall where chaos ensues and the puck ends up in the net. 1 or 2 points lost.

That's a possible 12 points lost right there. Lets say we only manged 1 point in those games for a total of 6. We would only be 3 points back of a wild card spot or more importantantly we'd have 18 points only 1 point back of 2nd and 3rd in the Pacific Division.

I believe in McLellan and Chiarelli. Bad luck we've lost Schultz and Ebs and McDavid for significant time too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
EDM was .500 after Christmas the first year Eakins was hired. And even last year with Eakins before the wheels fell off, the team did play alot better than their record indicated. On here and the media were saying all of that. So to be perfectly honest, it's the same old song and dance. They work hard often, but continue to be a fragile group and lose close games. :shakehead

The big difference is that they are obviously much more structure with McLellan. So that is a good sign moving forward.

I thought they were crap for the nearly the entire time Hairspray coached them, and only started to climb out of it when Nelson took over. I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, I feel strongly that there is now some pushback that was never there before. The game against LA for example gave me some hope, in the fact that we finally have a forward (Drai) that can match up with the Kings and give us a big push. Drai was here last here for 37 games, but this is a far different player.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Oilers are in games this year and look alot better in structure. We have lost many points due to games we have let slip from our fingers off the top of my head:

- can't remember the team but Yakupov misses the breakaway and the play goes the other way. I think this was Dallas and Spezza scores to break the tie game. 2 lost points there.

- LA Kings the Connor McDavid goal that was not officially a goal but we all know it was over the line...completely. 1 or 2 lost points there.

- Against Minnesota McDavid has a breakaway with a few minutes left in regulation and he misses the net by centimeters after Dubnyk made a play knowing Connor's move. 1 or 2 lost points there.

- Calgary Flames - Talbot lets in the worst goal in all of the NHL 2015/16 season. Maybe tied with Bernier last night. 1 minute left in the game. 1 or 2 points lost.

- Calgary Flames - McDavid's assist to Pouliot I believe gets called back due to the stupid coaches challenge. Would have tied the game. 1 or 2 points lost.

- LA Kings again, a couple minutes left on the clock Talbot decides not to override passing to his open defenceman and hucks the puck up the side wall where chaos ensues and the puck ends up in the net. 1 or 2 points lost.

That's a possible 12 points lost right there. Lets say we only manged 1 point in those games for a total of 6. We would only be 3 points back of a wild card spot or more importantantly we'd have 18 points only 1 point back of 2nd and 3rd in the Pacific Division.

I believe in McLellan and Chiarelli. Bad luck we've lost Schultz and Ebs and McDavid for significant time too.

I agree for the most part.

But it's not so tight that the games are coming down to single plays, either. We make mistakes and they cost us.

Other teams have various advantages over us and they "exploit" them to cover for their mistakes. Better goaltending, better defense, playing some sort of "mental game", drawing penalties etc.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

I mean it's not like other teams don't miss chances against us sometimes. We also get some lucky goals. It all evens out. I've seen breakdowns like this for 8 years...

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

A combination of both.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
and yet we sit tied for dead last again.We have talent in the line up-evenwith the injuries--the McDavid injury excuse only goes so far. It has come time to cut bait with some of the the players who just are not coming around and maybe take a hit in moving one of out core, top young guys to fill the holes that are killing us on the third line and D. I think Hartnell withthe BJS is what our third line needs--
it is getting hard to be a fan of the oilers

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Well last year we had like three 10 game losing streaks. Up to this point there hasn't been anything like that, but this is also the point last year where they they started the first of long losing streaks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
and yet we sit tied for dead last again.We have talent in the line up-evenwith the injuries--the McDavid injury excuse only goes so far. It has come time to cut bait with some of the the players who just are not coming around and maybe take a hit in moving one of out core, top young guys to fill the holes that are killing us on the third line and D. I think Hartnell withthe BJS is what our third line needs--
it is getting hard to be a fan of the oilers

In my mind you don't trade talented core players to fill your 3rd line. Those guys you get through free agency or moving something else, or God forbid, actually drafting and developing some.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers are playing well enough this year that they are losing games in regulation that they should at least make it to overtime because of a stupid error or lapse.

That in itself is a big improvement. Last year that stupid mistake would have just made the score 6-2 instead of 5-2.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In my mind you don't trade talented core players to fill your 3rd line. Those guys you get through free agency or moving something else, or God forbid, actually drafting and developing some.

here is the big picture for me

Hall-Nuge-eberle
Leon--Mcdavid-

I have now removed Yak from being core. We have a lot of top end talent-maybe too much

Oilers glory years

****-Grets**Kurri
****-Messier--Anderson

4 top guys--we have 5 (after removing Yak), For me, McDavid and Leon are the centers to build around--meaning one of Nuge, hall or Eberle are put in play for the stud in the D-line

if you want to draft and develop we are looking at 5 more years before we get serious--or about the time Hall, Nuge and Eberle's contracts are up

We need a corrective trade for how we went about the redraft

I do not see anything positive with this team--we are just reminded of how we went wrong in the rebuild

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
This is more frustrating for me because

A - we are a better team and we STILL cant win

B - Its hard to tell exactly what we have with all of the injuries we have had

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
This is more frustrating for me because

A - we are a better team and we STILL cant win

B - Its hard to tell exactly what we have with all of the injuries we have had

Also frustrating that we have no idea whether we'll have competent goaltending this year or not. This will make a big difference of course.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Question is how much better will the oilers be if we actually dressed a full healthy line up? The way the Oilers are playing this year compared to last year is like night and day. Despite the first period collapses, and the consistent meltdown when its 2 mins left of the third period, the oilers have been borderline dominant at times. With the way were playing and if we can clean up the first period mess, and have our goalies make a key save in the third i'm confident that this team can string a few wins together multiple times during the season.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
technically we are second last, we beat columbus in the tie breaker

fgcu-celebration.gif

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Players who are better than last year:
- Hall
- Nuge
- Yakupov
- Leon
- Schultz
- Klefbom

Players who are worse than last year:
- Lander
- Fayne
- Ference (possible?)

Treading water (same as last year):
- Purcell
- Pouliot

Roster upgrades:
- McDavid
- Korpikoski
- Sekera
- Reinhart
- Gryba
- Talbot (recent troubles aside, still way better than Scrivens)
- Nilsson

Roster downgrades:
- Gordon - Letestu
- Derek Roy (still think he would've been a good fit as 13th forward)

Injuries:
- McDavid
- Eberle
- Korp
- Hendo
- Klink
- Schultz

Plus.. Chiarelli & McLellan

The team is better, and wikk be even better when players come back from injury.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I took a look at the record we have so far and compared it to the record against those same teams last year. I lifted this idea from calgary puck.

STL 0-2-0
Nash - 0-1-0
Dal - 0-1-0
Cal 1-1-0
Van 1-0-0
Det 1-0-0
Wash 0-1-1
LA 0-2-0
Mont 1-0-0
Phil 1-0-0
Pit 0-1-0
Chi -0-1-0
Ana 1-0-0
Arizona -0-1-0

We got 33% of the possible points

Last year

STL - 02-1-
Nash 0-2-1
Dal 1-1-1
Cal 0-5-0
Van 0-3-2
Det 0-2-0
Wash 2-0-0
LA 2-3-0
Min 1-2-0
Mont -2-0-0
Phil 1-1-0
Pitt - 0-2-0
Chi 1-1-1
Ana 0-4-0
Arizona 0-4-1

we got 15.5% of the possible points.

IMO, we have played a pretty tough schedule and had significant injuries. Despite this, we are more than doubling our points from last year.

Progress, I guess
They've only played 1 games vs Washington this season. They're record against the Flames last year was 0-4-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad