A positive ref thread

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Hey i know, i know, we all hate the zebras. As a Tomas Holmstrom fan i strongly believe i have more valid reason to than most. They've certainly made mistakes, nobody is going to argue against that.

And yet, right now i want to start a discussion about just how damn HARD that job must be. In a game as fast as hockey, to mostly stay out of the way of a play that can change directions in no time flat. In a game where players are allowed to collide at high speeds on purpose, but just not in certain ways that can be subtle. To keep track of a tiny fast puck amongst all those bodies. And to stick with a VERY thankless job, especially considering the constant flaring tempers and verbal abuse they receive.

So i just want to say hats off to the refs, thanks for doing a tough job and getting it right as often as humanly possible.

I'd love to hear some first hand stories and opinions from users who have reffing experience!

Anya6687

Jul 12, 2015
Nhl refs are better than the crooked nba and nfl refs...that's about all the positive things i have to say in this thread

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Seems like a largely thankless job with the potential to be awful. You basically don't exist unless you're making a bad call, a thing that's going to happen eventually when everything you're responsible for assessing is in motion and potentially trying to painfully occupy the same physical space as you.

Tons of respect for these people, I'm glad someone wants to have that job.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Nhl refs are better than the crooked nba and nfl refs...that's about all the positive things i have to say in this thread

The NFL refs I think have just stopped caring since replay so they get a bunch of replayable stuff wrong. The only other issue is they call absolutely everything now where a receiver is touched

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I think they do a good job overall and I'll even give my reason for thinking that In most games both sides seem to be upset over the officiating And if neither side is happy they are probably doing a good job
Not that there aren't any problems The reviews are very inconsistent on goalie interference And that needs to be addressed. General penalities aren't consistent in game at times and game to game isn't there
But many call for everything to be called and if that was done there would be no flow and that would create just as much uproar
Many fans just listen to their broadcast team and that's a mistake. They are paid by the team in most cases so are biased Some worse than others. And love to point out every potential missed call against their team but ignore every time it happens the other way. And in all games there are missed calls and phantom calls on both sides

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It’s a tough job, no doubt.

If refs could not let their emotions get in the way or judge calls based on the scoreboard, crest on the front of a jersey or the names on the back there would be far less frustration from the masses and I (personally) would have more respect for them.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think they're so bad considering the speed of the game.
The reality is they cannot see everything on the ice at the same time which makes it impossible to not miss things. I've seen literally thousands of posts critical of a call once it's been shown from the perfect angle in super slow motion or even freeze frame.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
they're over hated a lot of the time. sometimes its not their fault they miss a play or make a bad call. its all judgement at the end of the day

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not matter what they call or don’t call half the people are going to bitch about it... it’s lose lose being a ref

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't think they're so bad considering the speed of the game.
The reality is they cannot see everything on the ice at the same time which makes it impossible to not miss things. I've seen literally thousands of posts critical of a call once it's been shown from the perfect angle in super slow motion or even freeze frame.

See Kane on Benning last night.
If the ref couldn’t see that, then they shouldn’t be reffing

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only time I'll bash a ref is if there's a good enough reason. Because if there's a ref there's no winner, mind you not even a game.

But sadly, some of the blame is to Bettman.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The problem isnt the refs but the rules. How can we expect them to call goalie interference right when there is no standard. And its damn hard, was he pushed into the goalie? Was he pushed enough? etc etc. They cant get it right because often there is no right or wrong. Bob Mckenzie said on his podcast a time back that they had done a survey among GM´s in the league and i think every goalie interference call was called the way the majority(16+) of the GM´s thought was right.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Nice when they show personality and make the tough, but right call.

Not nice when they focus on game management and make up calls as that should have zero bearing on the result. Let the players decide.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I think they do a good job overall and I'll even give my reason for thinking that In most games both sides seem to be upset over the officiating And if neither side is happy they are probably doing a good job
Not that there aren't any problems The reviews are very inconsistent on goalie interference And that needs to be addressed. General penalities aren't consistent in game at times and game to game isn't there
But many call for everything to be called and if that was done there would be no flow and that would create just as much uproar
Many fans just listen to their broadcast team and that's a mistake. They are paid by the team in most cases so are biased Some worse than others. And love to point out every potential missed call against their team but ignore every time it happens the other way. And in all games there are missed calls and phantom calls on both sides

But why have it in the rule book then? If you call every offense the players will adjust. If not, then they probably won't be in the NHL long then. But, when you don't call everything, aren't you changing the outcome of the game? The hooking call that you called in the first period is NOW not a hooking penalty in overtime. Why, what changed besides the time it happened? Call everything or change the rule book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad