A New PowerPlay Setup

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017
Nothing the Flyers are doing on the PP is working this year, starting with their traditional setup they've run for a few years and now with the 5 forwards.

I propose we run the PP through the point, with Giroux at left D and Ghost at right D, and have them take turns blasting one timers from each others. Have Konecny in the usual Giroux spot, Voracek on the right boards, and then put someone big in front of the net like Simmonds, JVR, etc.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Their old setup, which has been successful for many years, is still perfectly fine. It didn't suddenly stop working this year, they just weren't converting and Simmonds should have been replaced by JVR or Patrick at the start of the season. Especially after how great Patrick was in that spot to end last season.

That's what they need to go back to because this new setup, where their two best PP players (Giroux and Ghost) are a non-factor, is clearly a horrible mistake.

Unfortunately it seems we'll need to wait for this idiot Knob to (hopefully) be fired before it gets fixed.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
G, JVR, Patrick, Ghost, TK.

G in his usual spot. TK as the RD on the half wall. Ghost at the point. Patrick and JVR net front

When G has the puck...Patrick plays the simmonds role like he did last year. Jvr sets up as the lefty shot from the slot. TK sneaks down the right side, ghost on the point.

When TK has the puck...JvR takes over net front in the right side and Patrick moves to the slot as the one time option.

Patrick could also set up behind the net for a new look. He could also switch with G or TK to throw the other team off.

Point is Simmonds and Jake are too one dimensional. The old look has been failing bc other teams who how to defend it. Patrick and TK are much more versitial.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Copying my post from another thread:

Was thinking about the PP earlier today and how I think I would try to fix it.

JVR

Giroux Voracek Ghost

Sanheim

Putting Sanheim up top allows him to run the PP and because the PK will have to respect both GIroux and Ghost's shots, should leave him more open as well. Left Voracek in the middle because of how good he is at entering the zone with possession, and his shot from there is OK.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Maybe, instead of a 2 min PP, the Flyers get a 2 minute break and the other team bag skates for 2 minutes while a video of Kurt Russell saying "again" is shown?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
------Patrick------ [NET]-------------------

Giroux -------------JVR-------------Ghost

--------------------Sanheim-----------------

or

------Patrick------ [NET]-------------------

Giroux -------------JVR-------------Voracek

--------------------Ghost--------------------

Not that complicated. The set-up can work if the personel is changed.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have an idea. Instead of letting a defenseman who doesn’t know how to play the half wall on the PP play the half wall on the PP because he has a good one timer (which is such a gross oversimplification of role), how about we let that defenseman play at the top of the umbrella where he led the league in PP points for defensemen, and then put on the right half wall the player who is top 10 in PP points over the last 6 years on that same right half wall. And then move back the best left half wall QB in the league to the left half wall. And then trade Simmonds to let someone else take his spot.

Really think I’m onto something, gents. I’m coming for your job, Knob.

Reactions: Striiker

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I have an idea. Instead of letting a defenseman who doesn’t know how to play the half wall on the PP play the half wall on the PP because he has a good one timer (which is such a gross oversimplification of role), how about we let that defenseman play at the top of the umbrella where he led the league in PP points for defensemen, and then put on the right half wall the player who is top 10 in PP points over the last 6 years on that same right half wall. And then move back the best left half wall QB in the league to the left half wall. And then trade Simmonds to let someone else take his spot.

tenor.gif

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I brought up before trying Voracek in the “around the net” spot before. I think we could use someone with better overall skills there than Simmer or JVR who are more of a one trick pony. He’s big and strong, great passer and better hockey IQ than both.

Maybe also try JVR in the coots spot on this setup as well

Voracek
Giroux - Coots - Sanheim
Ghost

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I read on here earlier this season that the way said defenceman shoots from given spot hurts Giroux and his production. Maybe you should rethink that :sarcasm:

Reactions: Chinatown88

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I still want to see Ghost on the right for longer than a game or two. Give it a few weeks before abandoning.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Whatever they do they have to keep moving their legs, as well as get the puck off their stick quicker.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I still want to see Ghost on the right for longer than a game or two. Give it a few weeks before abandoning.

I'd rather just keep him at the top and rotate him as part of the structure to catch defenders off guard. We have too many elite players to use the spot like that. Jake at the top is awful. They'd use Provorov there before Sanheim. It's just a no-win. The PP1 was historically unlucky, and they need to just let the talent out. Add Nolan and JVR as the net fronts, and we're golden.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd rather just keep him at the top and rotate him as part of the structure to catch defenders off guard. We have too many elite players to use the spot like that. Jake at the top is awful. They'd use Provorov there before Sanheim. It's just a no-win. The PP1 was historically unlucky, and they need to just let the talent out. Add Nolan and JVR as the net fronts, and we're golden.

I'm fine with this.

Also might not be a bad idea to try the powerplay setup they ran with Richards, Briere, Timonen, and Carter were here. @Appleyard has mentioned it a few times.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm fine with this.

Also might not be a bad idea to try the powerplay setup they ran with Richards, Briere, Timonen, and Carter were here. @Appleyard has mentioned it a few times.

Yeh, it would work nicely with Sanheim on paper on PP2 at least.

Briere/Giroux - Carter/Lupul - Richards
Timonen - Pronger

Was it generally. With the halfboard guys playing v.close to goal-line. At times all three forwards went to the net, and two were there all the time when puck was on other side (so if Timo/Briere had it Richards would cheat in) and teams had to make a choice to either go man to man on the fwds, or try and cover Pronger. So Pronger could cheat into the circles at times.

Also with this set-up the net-front guys handedness does not matter as much.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What people aren't addressing is why the PP collapsed this year.
Some of it is bad luck.
Some of it is it is being too static against PKs that have become more aggressive chasing the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad