A new member, new player and my journey thus far

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm from Calgary AB, Canada and decided to join HFBoards.com due to the intresting dialogue and information that can be found here, let alone you good buncha guys.

I just started playing again, after taking oh a 19 year hiatius from the sport (last I played I was an ATOM)... I was small @ the age of 10, and my parents were afraid of the contact that was to come lol
Mind you, I hit a groth spurt two years later and played soccer, skii'd nationally and played football up to a college level.

Anyways... in December I decided to borrow a buddy's pair of skates, that fit comfortable from the start (I know strange right?) an old pair of Nike Quest V4's, a his old wood stick, his old gloves which were in unstinky shape and started playing at the pond.

This was 3 months ago, and now I'm hooked!

I went out and bought gear, and started with some budget stuff...
I Kept the skates as they fit like a glove
Bought: CCM V08 helmet w/ a Itech Visor, Hespeler F30+ shoulder pads, Nike Supreme One 55 elbow pads, CCM Heat 292 pants, 5030 shin guards and couple left handed Easton wood sticks.

One thing to learn to skate and playon the pond, and another with full gear again indoors...

however I'm rather atheletic and was in decent shape which helped me pick up the game... I play indoor soccer, so the premise of off-sides/icing and the positioning for both defence, offence and breakout stradigy is all similar (especially cause there is no hitting in our mens league or shinny)

I've managed to play about 12 or so indoor shinny games and have improved significantly and finding much more confidance in my abilities as well as vision...

Things that come from playing are definately hands, and the ability to tell the difference that different gear can contribute or hinder in your game.

Being that I found that there is no contact in any leagues and shinny, and that an unspoken rule about blasting hard shots through traffic (that you don't), I've found it unnecessary to wear shoulder pads... BUT I did get tripped up into the boards that resulted in a slight 2nd degree seperation in my shoulder... It sucks, but I've had worse in football and once you get it, those legiments are prone to getting them again.

I said hey... those Sherwood 5030's would be nice... well $30 later and they are my go-to pads... money well worth spent!
They are so much lighter than my hespeler's which are full on shoulder pads with caps as large as my football pads, and actual hard armour on the chest and spine... (unlike most typical pads with high/low density foam combos)

I also bought a couple accessories: a smart hockey ball and a edge again
Both I cherish, and think are priceless... Smart Hockey Ball has helped me out significantly and the Edge again is great for in a pinch sharpening or burred edges!

Also... I ended up finding out and becoming a buddy with a neighbor who plays in the AHL... he only came out ever once to the pond, to show his 4 year old how to skate.
He's a pretty cool guy with alot of NHL games under his belt, and had a surplus of gear he just handed to me.
Yes Pro-Stock gear with those "Center Ice NHL authentic logo's"
He gave me:
Tackla 9000's
2-3 year old JOFA everything...
9044 Elbow Pads
8800 Shoulder Pads
9060 Shin Pads

So... with that, I promptly returned my Heat 292's (used only once so I didn't feel bad) and started using the gear!

but, I had the same problem with that gear that I did with my Hespeler shoulder pads... way too much for what I needed.

Pro-stock protection gear is definately intended to protect the livelyhood of the Profssional, perhaps even more than it is about performance.
This JOFA gear is AWESOME, made in sweden, and was made even though RBK had their 9K/10K gear out... but was made specifically as Pro Stock (not available to retail or consumer market)

Thing is... its well biult and has good ergonomics, but is built to protect like Motocross gear. The 8800 series SP has actual plastic plates, not foam, thick plastic plates on the sternum and spine. The 9044 elbow pads weigh like twice as much as mine, are at least 30% bigger and have an extra cap on the elbow cap!
The shinguards weigh at least 50% more than the 5030's that I have but do have a cradle to prevent hyper extention. I swear, my football shoulder pads would lose in a one on one battle against these 8800s.

All that is necessary not only with a hitting league... but to protect the professional who's entire livelyhood is based on his performance and durability in the game.

Also I'm obviously not nearly in as good of shape nor have the techinque or proficiencies as a pro, so that'll contribute to the added fatigue on my part.

What I did razz him about, concidering he is still a user of his pro-stock Bauer XXX sticks, is why he cares so much about the stick lightness? When his eagle ppf pro stock gloves and elbow pads weigh so much more than our consumer gear... he just shrugs

The tackla pants on the other hand are just like what is availble to anyone, so those I'm using every time.
But the consumer grade gear (5030 Shoulder Pads/Shin Guardss and Bauer One55 elbow pads) are in actuality really is good for me!

I did however upgrade to some Easton S11 sticks that were being blownout... first off... a light stick definately is nice to stick handle with, but you do lose the feel of wood. On the flip side, I nearly broke a wood stick a game with every snap shot... they just don't last...
A decent composite at a shinny level (not much for hacking sticks) is lasting me longer than the wood ones, and makes up for the difference in price!
The shots I find are more consistance and the release is very quick.
I use a 100flex as I'm 6' 210 and can load on even a wrister if I need to.

Last edited:

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
:laugh:

enjoyed your story OP, very detailed

i'm just starting out as well and bought the Bauer Supreme Classic shoulders (similar to the 5030s) .. they're awesome!

I really love the look of those, especially the caps... But, being in Canada, nobody seems to carry those specific pads and nobody will ship (maybe used but not a hockeymonkey)

I also like the look of the pro-defenders, but If I wanted to use real pads, I would just stick with the 8800 Jofa's or Hespelers that I have.

What I found crazy about using the 5030's are, if there hasn't been enough action to work my core temp consistantly, I find I get cold in them lol..
The freedom is nice, its like the next best thing to wearing nothing

I just found it intresting that though you do get protected less, the less you pay... the less that you have to wear!

macgyverthatshiz

Apr 3, 2010
North Carolina
Very good timing, as I am in the market for new shoulder pads. I am currently using the old Bauer Impact 300, a very lightweight and mobile pad. I have narrowed it down to the Bauer Classics or the Sherwood 5030. Which is better, which is more comfortable? I am not concerned with the lack of protection, as I play in a non-check league. I just like having them for when I crash into the boards or some random contact that happens from time to time. Anyone else have any experience with these two pads. I feel myself leaning towards the Bauer Classics as of now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So are you just talking about equipment or about starting to play hockey? I started playing ice hockey a few years ago at age 27 in Calgary, and if you want some startup advice then to fine tune your skating Rex Tucker has a great beginners power skating program, with one good time slot at UofC on a Sunday afternoon (the rest are during regular work hours or very early morning). And so it's not just all drills you get 10 minutes of 4 on 4 'posts' play time. at the end.

And if you're looking to join a league then Hockey North America (HNA) runs a very solid beginners intake program, where they'll take all the beginner sign ups, sort them into a few teams, run 10 or so weeks of beginner practice sessions + scrimmages, then drop you into a beginners division. For both programs you also get some scrimage time at the end, so you know This league plays in the northern half of Calgary, so if you're in the South it's a different league you want but I don't know too much about it.

That's how I started and it all turned out extremely well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad