Post-Game Talk: A New Day Has Come - Split Squad - Preseason I+II - Flames at Oilers/Oilers at Flames

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Did you honestly have McAvoy #3 on your list going into the draft? I find that a bit hard to believe to be honest. It's not like college hockey games are easy to access for those outside of the states. If you did indeed have a lot of viewings of McAvoy in his draft year then I apologize.

I wish people realized how accessible NCAA hockey is, even in Canada. TSN carried 17 NCAA games last year over thier 5 channels. On top of that TSN Go had an additional 20 games, on top of the 17. That's before we even get to the NCAA playoffs in which TSN and TSN Go carry close to every game.

They also always focus on the big programs, which have all the NHL prospects, so getting a look at the top players is very easy. It's been this way for 3 years now.

TSN puts almost zero effort into marketing to let people know they have these games.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I was just looking back at the lines for last night and realized I did not notice the Callahan-Malone-Rattie line at all in the Calgary game.

I noted everyone else at least once in both games(good and bad), but didn't see anything from that line. I actually forgot that they were even in the game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was just looking back at the lines for last night and realized I did not notice the Callahan-Malone-Rattie line at all in the Calgary game.

I noted everyone else at least once in both games(good and bad), but didn't see anything from that line. I actually forgot that they were even in the game.

Well I guess it's a positive that they didn't stand out in a bad way at least. :) For forwards though you'd like them to be a little more noticeable.

Usually it's 3rd pairing dmen that are said to have good games when they aren't noticed out there.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Usually it's 3rd pairing dmen that are said to have good games when they aren't noticed out there.

Funny you said that. I read a couple of flame fans describing Hamonic's game last night as just that - not very noticeable.. which they said 'is a good thing'

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I like Elliott more than Smith. I think most do although it's not like there is a big gap. I honesty think the Flames signed him mainly because he has an amazing record against the Oilers.

Smith is declining. If he declines too much Flames will play thier usual thier goalie sucks. Especially if he sucks against us. Elliott will be a pleasant memory in comparison.

I stated this weeks ago in the main boards flames thread.

Flames fans didn't like that very much.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Calgary has mediocre forwards beyond a few good ones, below average goaltending and a good (but overrated D).

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they struggled to finish as high as they did last season and instead finish out of a playoff spot in the West.

Calgary has decent/average forwards really.

Calgary has an above average group of defenders. Legitimately good at least if still probably a bit overrated.

Calgary has below average goaltending.

I find it interesting that so many put Calgary above SJS in the standings/to make the playoffs. No one is safe in the Pacific: Oilers and Ducks are a bit banged up. SJS is still a good team. Calgary improved and is a decent team. Arizona improved. Vancouver improved.

But... I really think people have an unrealistic expectation for Calgary. They still are an average team overall. "Should" make the playoffs but really not as good as many have indicated. 50/50 chance they actually improve at best IMO.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Calgary has decent/average forwards really.

Calgary has an above average group of defenders. Legitimately good at least if still probably a bit overrated.

Calgary has below average goaltending.

I find it interesting that so many put Calgary above SJS in the standings/to make the playoffs. No one is safe in the Pacific: Oilers and Ducks are a bit banged up. SJS is still a good team. Calgary improved and is a decent team. Arizona improved. Vancouver improved.

But... I really think people have an unrealistic expectation for Calgary. They still are an average team overall. "Should" make the playoffs but really not as good as many have indicated. 50/50 chance they actually improve at best IMO.

Calgary is a good team but I think theres a few (potential) issues.

1) Number 1 is goaltending. Big question mark.
2) I dont think their forwards help their defense much.
3) I think Gultuzan is a mediocre/bad coach. Coaching (can) make as much of a difference on defense as the players do. Look at Babcock with Toronto.
4) I dont think they have much gamebreaking talent. But I think if their defense/coaching system was as good as Nashvilles, gamebreaking forwards wouldnt hinder the team too much.
5) If Bennett doesnt turn into a #2C it really hurts this team. Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski, Stajan down the middle is a pretty good group if Bennett is a #2C.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I'll see what I can do, but I'm sure you can do it better. 31:54

23urn88.png

Probably better in gif form

rnh.stone.look.gif

?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just a random thought from the game. For some reason ive always had it in my mind Andersson was a scrawny skilled D like Nick Leddy. Especially after Nurse beat the wheels off him 2 rookie tournaments ago and Hunter Smith had to revenge the slaughter

Did not realize that guy is so thick. Jesus it looked like John Daley had converted to hockey. I thought he was a good player but I was floored when I realized that was him. Guy must weigh 230. I had him in my mind as a 180 5'10 D

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just a random thought from the game. For some reason ive always had it in my mind Andersson was a scrawny skilled D like Nick Leddy. Especially after Nurse beat the wheels off him 2 rookie tournaments ago and Hunter Smith had to revenge the slaughter

Did not realize that guy is so thick. Jesus it looked like John Daley had converted to hockey. I thought he was a good player but I was floored when I realized that was him. Guy must weigh 230. I had him in my mind as a 180 5'10 D

There's a reason why his work ethic and conditioning have been questioned since before his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad