A mini league idea for Older NHL Players

illpucks

May 26, 2011
So I know the initial reaction may be to rip this idea but a lot of players retire because they cannot keep up with the really young players who are running the league. But among their own age NHL level peers they can keep up.

So instead of retiring if the NHL could have NHL2 which could have maybe 6 teams for NHL players target age range 40-50. People will still be interested in watching this imo and those players could still earn money. Could also keep the stats going as it would still be NHL.

The downside is that it may discourage older players from the current NHL when some are still more than good enough ie JT. But it should allow guys like Jagr to keep playing.

Is this feasible and would you watch it?

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Some guys probably couldn't keep up with the wear and tear so they had to shut it down. They would have to go through that again. Some guys could do it, some guys couldn't. Also, some guys would play to serious while some would go through the motions and guys could get hurt.

Reactions: Brightwing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
There's already legends games that happen, but I don't know how competitive they are.

I think the biggest issue with older players is they're not going to play a truly competitive game due to past or possible injuries.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's the thing, though: a lot of guys retire not because they're not good enough but because they actually want to stop playing hockey.

They've been away from their families for 20+ years, have struck to strict dieting and training their whole lives, and have millions of dollars to have fun with.

Hockey is great and all but my fat ass likes pizza and chips, and I would get real sick of being in shape by my mid-to-late 30's (which is when it gets much harder too).

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Like how some ex-nba players play on that 3vs3 league Ice Cube founder? BIG3 it was called iirc.

I think that could work, there are multiple ex-stars playing in lower levels all over the world.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
They tried this in baseball in the late 80s. 35 years and older. Don't think it was very successful

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
but a lot of players retire because they cannot keep up with the really young players who are running the league.
No they don't. I've never ever heard a player say that he retired because he couldn't keep up.

They retire because their bodies are hurting when they do stuff outside the ice or they don't have the commitment for another off-season training or they don't want to eat-train-sleep anymore or because of injuries. If Jagr would've got a NHL contract he would still play in the league.
I thought that was European leagues or the KHL.
A good European/KHL team could spank any NHL team in 1 game on international ice size surface. A bottom feeder in the Swiss league beat the Flyers a couple of years ago.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Even if a player retires because they can't keep up anymore, I don't know how many of them would want to play in a 2nd-tier league such as the one being described in the original post.

A lot of professional athletes don't want to play in a lower league once they have already gotten a taste of the elite league. It is difficult on the ego and self-esteem.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Even if a player retires because they can't keep up anymore, I don't know how many of them would want to play in a 2nd-tier league such as the one being described in the original post.

A lot of professional athletes don't want to play in a lower league once they have already gotten a taste of the elite league. It is difficult on the ego and self-esteem.
But NHL2 with all ex-NHL players isn't really another league

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
You know lots of ex NHLers drop into beer league games, right?

They're done with the life of travel and living on the road.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
In theory it sounds great to have the Jagrs and other legends in their own mini league, but it wouldn't turn out that way. It would inevitably be filled with NHL/AHL tweeners that need the money more and be far less entertaining. Players that could barely keep up in their prime, now well past their prime. It would be like the AHL without the prospects and everyone is over 40.

All the names that pop up in those 'players you didn't realize are still playing' threads because you forgot about them as soon as they left the NHL.

Reactions: 1989

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
In theory it sounds great to have the Jagrs and other legends in their own mini league, but it wouldn't turn out that way. It would inevitably be filled with NHL/AHL tweeners that need the money more and be far less entertaining. Players that could barely keep up in their prime, now well past their prime. It would be like the AHL without the prospects and everyone is over 40.

All the names that pop up in those 'players you didn't realize are still playing' threads because you forgot about them as soon as they left the NHL.
Need the money? How much do you think an ex AHL regular would earn in such a league?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Golf is a unique sport. Advanced age doesn't erode skill to nearly the same degree as hockey or baseball.

Agreed, just pointing out that that's a sport that actually does this concept
Hockey would probably be like those alumni games they sometimes do at outdoor games, although I doubt many of the old-timers would want to do it.

Reactions: Amazinmets73

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Any player who is good enough to reach that age in the NHL has probably made a substantial amount of money by that point. How many would out their body through extra wear a tear for pennies on the dollar of what they made in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad