A Man’s Demands: Part 1 navigating this off-season.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1669-a-mans-demands-part-1

In all likelihood, much of the Leafs‘ off-season decision making will focus around improvements via various trade opportunities. With seemingly motivated ownership and CBA ramifications positioning them nicely amidst other scrambling franchises, the Leafs may need to consider hiring more office staff to field the influx of competitor inquiries.

steve%20weiss.jpg

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Good article. I think they were bang on for the prices.

Yep, which is why it sucks as I don't think I'd want any of those players at that pricetag... Even Horton who I'd like on the Leafs would be overpayed and force us to spend more $ on the wings that is not necessary for the Leafs as it'd be better for them to spend on the D or Center...

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I would take Horton for that price in a heartbeat. I would prefer shorter term but he is great in the playoffs, would be a ferocious line with him and JVR on it with Kadri in the middle. Then we can maybe get Streit for a 2 year deal and deal Dion for a Center or a better Defensive/higher hockey IQ guy in some sort of package not including Finn or Rielly. I actually think Horton will get a similar deal as Lucic, since the cap is going down maybe just under 6m a year.

Oh and when we ditch Dion we could give the C to our real Captain, King Joffrey.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Our winger's are fine, honestly.

Top 2 LW of JVR/Lupul and Top 2 RW of Kessel/Frattin is quite amazing.

If Bozak leaves, Weiss would be interesting.

Wouldn't mind Weiss, but only if he takes a hometown discount.

davehamilton100

Feb 14, 2012
Canada

Weiss is a tough one to nail down. Price will depend on a number of different factors and a few unknowns, but one thing is certain, the number of teams at least initially interested will be high.

Schennsation

Show goes on
Oct 8, 2008
Sudbury Ontario

Replacing Frattin with Clarkson sounds alot better to me Frattin hasnt proven he can play 2nd line rw

Last edited:

davehamilton100

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Frattin and Clarkson are different players. Most would probably argue that Clarkson brings more to the table, while others will say that Frattin's spead at a much lower cap hit is of a higher value to the team. Considering all options, I'd be icing Clarkson in the playoffs well before Frattin.

davehamilton100

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Aside from the pending UFA's listed in the article, who are some that the Leafs should take a look at?

Bickell?

Roy?

Filppula?

Murray?

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't want Weiss and if most saw him play, they wouldn't either. That is especially the case for the segment who believes that Grabovski is supposed to be a terrible at establishing possession player. Weiss has some decent offensive abilities, but when he's on the ice, expect to lose possession. Yes, I've noticed that when seeing him live a few times.

Moreover, his top season resembles Grabovski, and I think we're better off using Grabs on the top line. Once his production goes back to 60pts ( easily could without Kessel), we can ship him out for a big centre #1C who can be utilized against the top lines with JVR.

davehamilton100

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I don't want Weiss and if most saw him play, they wouldn't either. That is especially the case for the segment who believes that Grabovski is supposed to be a terrible at establishing possession player. Weiss has some decent offensive abilities, but when he's on the ice, expect to lose possession. Yes, I've noticed that when seeing him live a few times.

Moreover, his top season resembles Grabovski, and I think we're better off using Grabs on the top line. Once his production goes back to 60pts ( easily could without Kessel), we can ship him out for a big centre #1C who can be utilized against the top lines with JVR.

So turn Grabo into a #1 C in order to trade him for a #1 C? Personally, I like the guy, but he's not in the cards past this summer. His money can be used more wisely elsewhere. (i.e. in the process of attaining that #1 C)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd look into some combination of Horton/Clarkson/Bickell and some combination of Richards(buyout)/Filppula.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't know if we will be as active on UFA as many people think.

Nonis seems to suggest he prefers the trade route this year since their is a shallow UFA pool and the cap coming down will force teams to dump players.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Filppula is easily a 2nd line center when playing well, and the suggestions were simply names to get the discussion ball rolling.

Are you sure? He seems to be mostly a 0.5 PPG player, and When I watch detroit, he isn't the one doing the damage.

He has one 66 point season though. Which is interesting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are you sure? He seems to be mostly a 0.5 PPG player, and When I watch detroit, he isn't the one doing the damage.

He has one 66 point season though. Which is interesting.

He's 6'0", so I don't think size is a real concern, and he has over 100 games of playoff experience, and two runs to the finals, one being a championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad