A look back at my NHL 22 wishlist (and lamenting what won't be)

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
Cleaning out my PC, I found an unnamed Notepad file (yes, really) that contained an extensive wishlist of things I wanted to see in the then-upcoming NHL 22. Obviously, two games have come and gone, and it's time to see what they delivered on and what they simply haven't given us (and what they will likely never give us). I'll give my current feelings now in bold.

Official NHL 22 Wishlist/Delusions

Overall Changes:

- A possible fighting overhaul? It feels like we've been updating systems every once in a while,
then after 16 they just gave up. Maybe with a better engine possibility on new consoles, we'll
get more dynamic fights. On the subject of dynamic:

I doubt anyone really has issues with the current fighting system in the game. I should have specified.

- Graphical updates: Yeah, I know, not likely considering all the people that don't have the new
consoles, but seeing more outstanding effects in NHL games has always been a treat. Stuff like better
uniform movement and less clipping would be nice. I generally think the game looks great, but a new
coat of that NEXTGEN paint is never BAD.

Well, a new console generation will do that to a game series, but I guess I did want it.

- Reverse Retro Jersey Templates (Custom Teams): We all want this. We all want to make our own RR
jerseys, give them touchups, assign them to new teams. I really want this.

It's been a no for a while and I doubt it's ever coming.

- Just More Logos, Bro: Why did we get like none in 21? Sure, we got bordering on the letters, but
the fonts still suck and we can't use numbers. It's stupid, clearly the artists can throw up a few
more designs than f***in NONE.

A yes, in a big way in NHL 23, but I doubt anyone finds this a real success on the part of the past two games.

- UI Synergy: Does it bother everyone that Be A Pro, Franchise Mode(s), and EASHL (CHEL, Threes, Ones)
have separate designs for their menus and UIs for each individual mode? It would be a bit of a jarring
change for some, I'm sure, but having Franchise Mode and Be A Pro both work on a vertical path like in
NHL 14 would be better on the eyes for people who play both. Not sure how people feel on Online Modes
and their UIs though, that's anyone's guess.

Well, I got what I wanted for Be A Pro and I hate it. But then again I hate everything about Be A Pro as it is, so what can I say. I've played a lot of Franchise Mode too and can't say I feel strongly about its UI.

- James Cybulski Fired into the sun: I think we all agree the worst part of Be A Pro now is this horrible
show we have to skip EVERY SINGLE TIME and he's in the opening cutscene we for some reason CAN'T SKIP.
Please get him out of there and back into the broadcast booth.

Still a hell we can't fully escape.

- ESPN Graphics: Remember Detroit, Missouri? Yeah, the in-game graphics are Bally Sports-Tier ASS. Get
ESPN in to fix em up, please.

Nope. Now I hate that I'm used to them. So it goes.

===============================================
Be A Pro Changes:

- More Teammates to Talk To: I find it a little jarring that you only get to talk to your captain.
I think it would be more fun and immersive if we were given like 3-5 other teammates to
antagonize/bond with. Would be interesting to make friends with some teammates and be standoffish
to others. I'd also like a separate teammate likability score for individual teammates, as well as
the team as a whole. Certainly, pissing off one teammate too much would stink up the locker room. It
adds a bit of drama that I think would make a career more fun and engaging.

Haha for me, even now, we only end up talking to the captain (or your former captain, since if you play well enough you take their captaincy away). This is a big part of the immersion we lack in Be A Pro that feels so seamless. We don't need 2K-levels of off-ice wackery, but we would appreciate some love, right?

- Negotiating Contracts: I believe that we're already building to this, but regardless I think that
if we're allowed to set our terms, it would serve to better immerse us in this idea that we're living
a player's life out. Like in building your own created player, or dealing with resigning and FA in
Franchise Mode, I think being able to set demands would be very interesting. Based off your brand score,
you can ask for more or be seen as more valuble by teams, and if you've got good standing with teammates
and the organization, they might ask you back with more money or incentives.

Hasn't happened, probably will someday, but still not happening. Again, feels like something we all know should be there that isn't.

- Team/Player Rivalry/Beef: One thing I hope will become a thing in futire installments is the idea of
building relationships with players not on your team. Say you've been traded to another team. Now, you
weren't traded to a rival, but say one of your teammates doesn't like you very much. He'll make it a point
to be more physical and agressive towards you when you're on the puck. Same thing with a team or organization.
Say a team is displaying interest in the draft towards you, but decides to pivot to someone else on draft day.
You could choose to harbor a grudge, and now beating those teams adds to your brand score and follower count.
Maybe you're such a pain, they'll lowball you in free agency.

I pray and I pray and I have to wait another game. This would set the gamemode apart by miles, and it also feels doable and natural, but it's screaming into the abyss.

- Have Dialogue Separate from Perks: Choosing between upgrading stats and abilities and choosing dialogue
options is stupid. Instead, use it like Fallout, by having it be purchased by different kinds of tokens (DT,
to simplify). Now you don't have to choose between talking your way out of challenges as opposed to being able
to dominate the ice surface. Also have your follower count rising mean that you become better at talking to
people, and thus earns you DT for milestone numbers of followers.

God do I hate that this isn't a thing. I hate that I used Fallout as the example, but I do think your follower count should still mean something, and your interactions with your coach, GM, agent, and god forbid one or more of your teammates should have a bigger passive impact on your speech ability.

Since NHL 22 came out, I've given up on the games as a whole. I think the time has to come when you have to choose between your wallet and your view of the games, and I've reached a point where I can live with the games I have, 22 in particular. The games are still buggy and borderline unplayable at times, but they are by the whole the most enjoyable sports gaming experience you can have, and that's not a complement. I'm tired of these games getting a pass for "being a great representation of the game", they are, but so was NHL 22, and NHL 21, and NHL 20. I'm glad to see the fans have decided that this rendition of the "EA SPORTS: IT'S THE SAME GAME" experience is the last straw, and I'm happy to see the reviews have given the game its just deserts. I will preface by saying I don't doubt the developers for this game care deeply about the game, and they have labored to create a great game, but I think it's also time for us as fans to say that we would like something different, and we would be willing to wait if it takes them the time to pump out something worth $70 USD at retail (depending on whether or not you can find it perpetually on sale.)

I purposefully didn't correct my awful spelling because I find it endearing to see how badly I require autocorrect.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Thanks for revisiting this! There are some hits in there (way to go, EA) but a lot more misses, and I think it's important to look back at what we were complaining about years ago to see where the series has improved or stagnated.

Since 2000, I've been buying NHLXX on release date every 2-4 years, depending on the scale of update or console requirements. I bought 21 but then moved to 22 when it came to Game Pass / EA Play. I was going to buy 23, but it's clear that it's just a repolish of 22 and will be available on Game Pass come May-ish for free.

EA is committed to being the next Blockbuster. Video games are moving to hub-style and subscription-style marketing, but EA is holding on to the annual release gouging for [reasons]. They spend so much time building an annual re-release when they could just have an EA Sports hub game that you download and patch repeatedly, which would allow for better updates and a larger market base. As it is, you're never going to have FIFA fans migrate to NHL when the buy-in point is $80, but if you had soccer and hockey in the same hub and same menu structures; or you could import your pro from one sport to another, it would open the market. As it is, most of us have been starting a new Pro career or World of CHEL build or Franchise or HUT Team every year or two and never getting to "end-game".

Just look at Master Chief Collection as an example. It's not perfect because it's porting old games rather than updating new games, but I'd love to be able to download "EA Sports" and then buy into the games I want to play for monthly/annual subscriptions, with the ability to port my created players between sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad