A list of things the NHL does well.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
1) they recently switched to Fanatics jerseys, we’re all super happy about that.

2) I’m a fan of the parity as well, but that’s more just a function of the cap and current players’ abilities.

3) Ya, that’s just standard for the US though.

4) I’d say that’s just money- tends to collect at the top, and that’s what the NHL is. Again, same with most other US sports leagues.

5) Professionalism? Have you seen reffing, the website, the lack of transparency on anything? Sweet, there’s some money put into the broadcasts. There should be.

I could go on, about how it’s like I don’t have a Ferrari or basic health care, but I’m gonna guess that doesn’t quite register with you.
Haha, my man, I'm just trying to convey to you that I'm jealous of what you guys have over there in terms of hockey standards, and that even though the NHL isn't perfect for many reasons listed in this thread (many of which I agree with), you asked for things the NHL does well and I listed some up. It's okay to feel like the NHL needs improving and at the same time appreciate some of the things it does do well.

I feel like NHL fans can get really close-minded sometimes in their own pity parties. Every league is horrible to the hardcore fans (just have any discussion with any EPL fan about VAR or ticket prices or financial fair play rules or what actually constitutes a hand ball). I'm just trying to bring some relativism to the table, since it could be way, way worse than what you have over there. Honestly, I mean it more as a complement than anything else when I say you guys are spoiled :thumbu:

I actually thought this thread was going to be refreshing when I clicked on it and there would be some positivity around the NHL -- nope! :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Polakis

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Haha, my man, I'm just trying to convey to you that I'm jealous of what you guys have over there in terms of hockey standards, and that even though the NHL isn't perfect for many reasons listed in this thread (many of which I agree with), you asked for things the NHL does well and I listed some up. It's okay to feel like the NHL needs improving and at the same time appreciate some of the things it does do well.

I feel like NHL fans can get really close-minded sometimes in their own pity parties. Every league is horrible to the hardcore fans (just have any discussion with any EPL fan about VAR or ticket prices or financial fair play rules or what actually constitutes a hand ball). I'm just trying to bring some relativism to the table, since it could be way, way worse than what you have over there. Honestly, I mean it more as a complement than anything else when I say you guys are spoiled :thumbu:

I actually thought this thread was going to be refreshing when I clicked on it and there would be some positivity around the NHL -- nope! :laugh:

Ah I get ya, I guess I just view most of the good things as a result of money/economy, and it’s not the league itself actually making good decisions. I do get where you’re coming from, and it’s a good reminder to be thankful for the good aspects. We get frustrated that the games aren’t on tv, for instance, but just having games broadcast with professional announcers is a thing. I guess that’s part of the frustration though- the structure of the league is great, it’s an amazing sport, and play is awesome right now! But it feels like the league just kinda drops the ball more often than not as of late, on pretty much every issue possible. Still a great game played at the highest level.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Preventing Canadian teams from winning the Stanley Cup. :thumbu:
LTIR as superstar player for a season then playing $16million over the cap in the playoffs is fine as long as it's a sunbelt team like Vegas or Tampa.

But the second a Canadian team does it, the league will fine that team and they'll forfeit draft picks, and the rule will be changed as it is not considered 'in the spirit of parity'. Just watch.

BTW, you guys like how Vancouver was the ONLY team that was dinged for the cap recapture rule that benefit Florida?

But the second it was going to benefit Montreal (Weber) and Edmonton (Keith) the NHL stepped in to revoke the cap bonus it would have given them?

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Resisted the temptation to cover the player uniforms with ads from top to bottom.

1704738594490.png

m.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
LTIR as superstar player for a season then playing $16million over the cap in the playoffs is fine as long as it's a sunbelt team like Vegas or Tampa.

But the second a Canadian team does it, the league will fine that team and they'll forfeit draft picks, and the rule will be changed as it is not considered 'in the spirit of parity'. Just watch.

BTW, you guys like how Vancouver was the ONLY team that was dinged for the cap recapture rule that benefit Florida?

But the second it was going to benefit Montreal (Weber) and Edmonton (Keith) the NHL stepped in to revoke the cap bonus it would have given them?
I love that. :thumbu:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
  • The expansion system that provides opportunity for expansion teams to be immediately, competitive.
  • The lack of recent franchise relocations.
  • The previously mentioned hard cap.
  • The previously mentioned playoffs and Cup presentation and that they have not increased the number of playoff teams even though the league has increased teams.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Destroy divisional rivalries so we can get more games that start at 4 or 10PM local time…

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sign a TV deal with a broadcasting company that fails to broadcast the NHL on a consistent basis because they think viewers want to see women’s amateur lawn bowling instead.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
NHL handles the Stanley Cup well. The trophy itself is iconic and the commissioner hands it to the Captain and its about the players. Compared to the NFL where I have to watch some billionaire owner (sorry, governor) take the trophy and talk about how great he is

I'll second this. It is probably the most iconic sports trophy in North America, and the lore around it is very much boosted by the league's brand strategy.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
NHL handles the Stanley Cup well. The trophy itself is iconic and the commissioner hands it to the Captain and its about the players. Compared to the NFL where I have to watch some billionaire owner (sorry, governor) take the trophy and talk about how great he is
This is what always clinches the Stanley Cup celebration being the best in sports, in addition to it being the best trophy. The team captain getting it first instead of the owner really puts the trophy presentation above the rest. I like Jeff Vinik as an owner, but I wanted to see Steven Stamkos (and the rest of the players) hoist the cup first.

Related, I also like that the Conn Smythe trophy is for the entire playoffs. Never liked how the NBA only does it for finals MVP, especially since in both sports the finals often aren't even the toughest round. Give me the MVP for the whole playoffs, not just the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad