Post-Game Talk: A kick or not a kick | Pens 4, Flyers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like winning and I enjoy watching scoring, but I'll tell you this. That last game several years ago when Vitale nailed Briere and then all hell broke loose.... Engellend destroys Simmonds, Asham abused Schenn... Laviolette with his meltdown...

I enjoyed that game about as much as any Pens win, including their 3 cups.

i liked that one. I liked all of those guys. They could actually play.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
just caught the rebroadcast on ROOT. Few thoughts:

1) You guys were holding out on me. The only reason we even got to a goal review is because Kunitz was incapable of handling a puck for 40 feet. Just another brilliant game from the best LWer in the business.

2) That was even more embarrassing and pathetic than I imagined, and I have a pretty good imagination.

3) A year ago, people were analyzing every goal celebration to determine just how much Crosby hated Hornqvist. Their post-ENG celebration was fab. Can't remember the last time I've seen Sid look so happy.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

1) You guys were holding out on me. The only reason we even got to a goal review is because Kunitz was incapable of handling a puck for 40 feet. Just another brilliant game from the best LWer in the business.

2) That was even more embarrassing and pathetic than I imagined, and I have a pretty good imagination.

3) A year ago, people were analyzing every goal celebration to determine just how much Crosby hated Hornqvist. Their post-ENG celebration was fab. Can't remember the last time I've seen Sid look so happy.
My favorite part was Steigy's deep thought "It is today, Bob"

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Oh yes, one of Kunitz's many screw ups was involved in the ENG screw up.

Now we're analyzing Phil's involvement in goal celebrations. Pretty sure there was some mockery in the post ENG celebrations, though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
IC - it was bad. He flubbed like you couldn't imagine. But it's hard to not do anything but just love the game today. Pens were up against an important week against foes that they struggled with in the last year or so. They went out and took care of business.

But seriously.. **** Kunitz.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed it :laugh:

The goal celebration was great. I love a good sarcastic celebration.

Does anyone have a video of the Hornqvist-Crosby celebration after the ENG? I keep seeing it getting mentioned but I can't find it.

Pretty sure it's in this link http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-refs-flip-flop-letang-goal-4-times/

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Does anyone have a video of the Hornqvist-Crosby celebration after the ENG? I keep seeing it getting mentioned but I can't find it.

Full video.

Plus I went looking for gifs for the lazy among us.

tumblr_o4bcmiMbo11retk6lo1_500.gif

tumblr_o4b1ptHOY61v69piuo1_500.gif

And found these.

tumblr_o4ay66g9vy1v0y680o1_500.gif

tumblr_o4bcouXDXq1retk6lo1_500.gif

And found what they need an adult version of for Kunitz.

tumblr_o3nuk0yWau1sznyklo1_540.jpg

I had a massive coffee earlier and it's made me productive.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I don't know where he was at in scoring but

Under Johnston

Games - 28
Goals - 6
Assists - 13
Points - 19
Pts/Game - .68

Under Sullivan

Games - 42
Goals - 25
Assists - 30
Points - 55
Pts/Game - 1.31

I know that is only this season, but that is completely insane. He'd be neck and neck with Kane right now with that kind of production.

So good to read this. Like they are coming to grips with the fact that they can beat anyone in front of them, history be damned.

When you see guys like Bones and Phil stepping up too (and getting props from the rest of the team for it) you know something good is happening in that locker room.

Between that comeback win a month or two ago, and today's game, I'm actually kinda glad we have Philly a couple more times. The dread of playing them has started to ebb away.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So good to read this. Like they are coming to grips with the fact that they can beat anyone in front of them, history be damned.

When you see guys like Bones and Phil stepping up too (and getting props from the rest of the team for it) you know something good is happening in that locker room.

Between that comeback win a month or two ago, and today's game, I'm actually kinda glad we have Philly a couple more times. The dread of playing them has started to ebb away.

I've been going back and forth on that comment. I like that they are focused, but I don't want that arrogance that they should win. I do want them to recognize the importance of each game and do the small things. Tonight, they should have showed some love in the locker room because they did ALL of the small things right.

But I hope you are right about the overall atmosphere of that room.

everyone talks about how MJ was killing Sid, but Hornqvist has benefited just as much [from the coaching change]

I was a little worried today. Early on Sully was moving Hornqvist around and Hornqvist is far from being the problem on Sid's line. Horny was absolutely tremendous today. All over the ice and stirring the pot. I just hope Sully recognizes how important Hornqvist is to Sid instead of Kunitz.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've been going back and forth on that comment. I like that they are focused, but I don't want that arrogance that they should win. I do want them to recognize the importance of each game and do the small things. Tonight, they should have showed some love in the locker room because they did ALL of the small things right.

But I hope you are right about the overall atmosphere of that room.

Given the way they celebrated on the bench after the 4th goal, I think they'll savour this. They're not guaranteed anything, and they want to stay focused, but I think they know this one is good.

I was a little worried today. Early on Sully was moving Hornqvist around and Hornqvist is far from being the problem on Sid's line. Horny was absolutely tremendous today. All over the ice and stirring the pot. I just hope Sully recognizes how important Hornqvist is to Sid instead of Kunitz.

it's insane. This is one of those situations where you don't even need to look at the play, just look at the box score. Sid and Hornqvist have really taken off, Kunitz... is putting up points, sure, but not at the pace those two are.

If you actually watch him play, you see just how little he impacts the box score. When he's NOT producing, he's a negative impact. He's exactly what a lot of people incorrectly claim Kessel has been.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I did not know Hornqvist had a child, but that is the most Swedish-looking family I've ever seen.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Anyone else get the feeling that this team is actually having FUN playing hockey again? Just a thought...

I am reminded of the Montreal team that dispatched the Boston team that completely dominated the Pens a few playoffs ago.

This team is not in that small handful of teams that are the cup favorites. But they are very firmly in that tier right below.

Speed kills in the playoffs, and the Pens have shown that they can roll four lines that will give other team's fits.

I almost never quote other team's boards for obvious reasons, but in the after game thread on the Flyers' board one said early in the thread that the Flyers were just slow tonight. The truth is that the Pens make a lot of teams look slow now. Their team wasn't slow as much as our team is fast, very fast.

Say what you want about JR, and yes the Despres trade makes every single move that he has made since irrelevant as it is the unforgivable sin. But that said, JR actually has built a team that we can point to and say 'this is Penguins' hockey'. It is a game built on speed and skill. Four lines of it. It is why we can lose a Malkin and still give teams problems. How many times could we point to a Pens' team in prior years and say what the hell Pens' hockey was?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad