A job in hockey II

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
for a Scout you can take a Scouting course and the ISS hires you with some ****** junior team and get paid **** pay if you want haha its a start.

CheeseSandwich*

My uncle is a head scout and he is looking to hire some jr scouts (boy scouts).

Basically he tests applicants by having them rate players in the NHL based on a variety of attributes (shooting), (aggressiveness).

Let me know if you or anyone is interested.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB

Basically he tests applicants by having them rate players in the NHL based on a variety of attributes (shooting), (aggressiveness).

i am. wait.. which regions is he lookin for?

Redden Hogalot*

I'm interested. What are the ages?

CheeseSandwich*

Was just joking guys, thought it was obvious. Stay in school.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I've worked in three different sports and I've never met anyone that actually went to school for sports admin. It seems like a major you take to be a ticket sales rep, and you don't need a specific degree to be a ticket rep.

I've got a sports management degree and it's opened a lot of doors for me in the field. However, that degree alone won't get you that much. I went on to do more school in a related field to help specialize me for certain positions.

But working in sports generally pays less than the same job at a regular organization. So be prepared to not eat as good.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=125958

Since I saw the thread that I listed above was closed, I wanted to ask the board that Ive been watching hockey all my life. I was just inquiring how that I could get a job in hockey as a coach or scout.

First, do you have any coaching certification with USA Hockey? If so, what level of certification are you at.

Second, if you do not, you will have to start here:
http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=CO&id=220328.

Third, Some states allow you to take level 1,2 and 3 all in the same year. Example: Arizona. Where as other states, you must be in your current level for one year before you can advance.

The first level, you will need some on Ice instruction, so bring your skates. Level 2 and 3 will be in a class room setting for about 8 hours each.

Level 4 and 5, will be in a Conference style setting with about 400 coaches from all over the country. I had to fly into Denver to get my level 4 and a year later, I had to fly into Ann Arbor, MI. for my level 5.

Both of these will cost you money for the flight and stay in a hotel for about 5 days. each. The majority of the food you pick up! Sponsors do pick up after dinner get togethers. :handclap:

Once you get your first level, get together with your local youth group and put in some time. I recommend that you start off as an assistant coach. Watch what the head coach and do what works for him and don't do what doesn't work for him.

After you have done this for about two or three years and you have some coaching experience behind your belt, then advance to a head coach. By this time, you should have your level 3.

Do one year or two as a Head coach, then move up to travel. I would not recommend starting off in travel at first. By being in the house league first, it will help you learn how to deal with parents!

I have been coaching now for over 30 years and last year was my first scouting assignment for a junior team. You could probably start scouting earlier, but the experience as a coach, will help you determine right away, which kids will make it and which kids to cut!

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Find a legit scout you can tag along with to games. That's what I'm doing with an ISS scout I met. From there, you can make connections and prove yourself before starting to climb up the ladder.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Head coach,

Do you have to move or temporary relocate in order to do this?

No! However, it all depends on what you want. I know this is kind of a suck answer. But, for me, I have always gone to where the hockey job is.

I am currently a GM for an Ice Rink in Illinois. Plus, it gives me the chance to keep my eyes open for kids in the Chicago area.

My wife and I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ. But I commute back and forth every once and a while to visit and take care of the pool and landscape.

There are a lot of Junior teams out there that are looking for scouts. Especially, at the tier III level. Most of them don't pay you unless you get a kid to come to the team for a try-out and he gets selected. Then you get paid. Other then that...nothing.

The team that I scout for pays all of my expenses, which is pretty nice. This year, I went to the Chicago Showcase and scouted about 45 kids with the defensive coach. The team paid for my gas, hotel and meals. Plus, I got to see a lot of fine hockey. The Chicago Showcase maybe isn't the best place to go see future NHLers, but, it's not bad to go see kids that want to continue playing at Juniors.

Generally after that, kids want to go play college. A buddy of mine, who's a head coach of a NCAA Div I school, told me that he would even look at a kid unless is had some experience on a Junior team.

So the scout jobs are out there, you just need to call the teams. Send me a PM and I will hook you up with a team in the league. I see that you are in New Jersey. If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a scout on the east coast. However, I have found it kind of hard to get kids to come to the west coast. If they want to continue their hockey, they'll come! Maybe we can get you hockey up with our team.

Let me know.

Head Coach

Leroux 66

May 22, 2007
Seems like the kind of thing where you really need connections to make headway in a reasonable amount of time. I would really love to get a job in hockey after college, but i'm not sure what to major in in college as i am just finishing my junior year of hs.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Seems like the kind of thing where you really need connections to make headway in a reasonable amount of time. I would really love to get a job in hockey after college, but i'm not sure what to major in in college as i am just finishing my junior year of hs.

Well, depending on the state in which you live in, there are University's all around the country that have Sports Management Degrees. However, I didn't go that route. I just have 30+ years of experience.

As far as connections. I didn't have any and the connections that I did have are nice, but they are only looking out for their own interests. One of the things that most people have is advice. I guess that's why this is a great forum.

The thing that got me the scouting job was that I called and asked. Mind you, I had 30 years of experience as a coach behind me. I started coaching at the age of 16 and I have been coaching ever since...bad english and all! The good thing is, I hope I get my point across to my players.

With getting a job in something you like, all you have to do is ask. "The Squeaky wheel gets the grease!" If you don't ask, you don't get! People are not mind readers. Sorry...small life lesson.

Here's what I would do, if I could start all over again....

1. Start getting my coaching certification levels (1 through 5) as quick as possible.
2. Put in some time with a AAA travel Head coach in your youth group or association.
3. Pick up pucks, cones, move nets...etc, for this head coach.
4. When you are not moving stuff. Stand next to him and ask questions.
5. Once you have learned all you can learn from this guy...move on to the next coach.
6. Keep the stuff that works and S**t can the stuff that doesn't work.
7. Read about the game and become a student of the game...read, read, read!
8. Watch Video or training DVD's of every thing you can get your hands on.
9. When you volunteer with your association, the ice is free...get it!
10. Once the ice is free, you practice all of the things you have learned as a student and keep doing it until it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about it.
11. Go watch hockey! See what works and stuff that doesn't work. Find a mentor and ask him or her, questions all the time.
12. I had one of those one time and I lost contact because I move out of the country. Always, try to stay in touch with your mentor, until he say to stop calling.

I think that's it. Good luck!

Head coach

Leroux 66

May 22, 2007
i also came across that awhile ago and was too afraid to ask if people thought it was legit and reputable, looks good enough to me, ej hradek is one of the instructors right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad