News Article: A headline before buyout...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Key word...AGAINST the Canadiens. There is just no way that a guy like him, with how limited he now is, would thrive in a market filled with expectations. He'd take an AHL team before he comes in Montreal...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Key word...AGAINST the Canadiens. There is just no way that a guy like him, with how limited he now is, would thrive in a market filled with expectations. He'd take an AHL team before he comes in Montreal...

Possible....but he does seem to high regard Montreal the city.
Richards does speak french ,so that is a non issue.

Richards told reporters in New York there's no bigger stage than Montreal.

"It's the greatest place to play our sport

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Possible....but he does seem to high regard Montreal the city.
Richards does speak french ,so that is a non issue.

Richards told reporters in New York there's no bigger stage than Montreal.

"It's the greatest place to play our sport

He knew that when he specifically left Montreal off his list of teams too.
This guy doesn't want to play here. Furthermore, I don't want him to play here.
Can we stop grabbing guys that are at the end of their careers and off buyouts?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He knew that when he specifically left Montreal off his list of teams too.
This guy doesn't want to play here. Furthermore, I don't want him to play here.
Can we stop grabbing guys that are at the end of their careers and off buyouts?

Lists change....like Danny B.

Who was Gm and coach of Habs in 2011? when Hab were off his list.

Richards did have 51 pts... 19 power play points this yr..Habs need help on Pp too.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW, he's still a decent 2nd line center and leader with experience.

The issue is I don't think he's better than Plekanec and at best equal. Equal is being very generous.

If you swing a deal where we trade one of our centers+ for an upgrade on the wing then sure I'd take him on a relatively low risk contract.

The likelihood of that happening? Very low.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lists change....like Danny B.

Who was Gm and coach in 2011?....When Hab were off the list?

Richards did have51 pts... 19 power play points this yr..Habs need help on Pp too.

And how great has Danny Briere been?? Was a wasted signing, especially when we could have grabbed a guy like Jagr who fit our needs.
Richards isn't as finished as Briere, but we don't need yet another 2nd-3rd center.
Now, of course, if he doesn't mind playing wing, and signing for 2 years, it might be different, but I doubt this. Even if he did though, we have enough players of his mold.
The only way this makes sense is if we move Plekanec to get help on the wing. I don't see this happening though.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
And how great has Danny Briere been?? Was a wasted signing, especially when we could have grabbed a guy like Jagr who fit our needs.
Richards isn't as finished as Briere, but we don't need yet another 2nd-3rd center.
Now, of course, if he doesn't mind playing wing, and signing for 2 years, it might be different, but I doubt this. Even if he did though, we have enough players of his mold.
The only way this makes sense is if we move Plekanec to get help on the wing. I don't see this happening though.

Briere points in playoffs helped this yr.......even with reduced mins.....

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This same headline could be used again very soon;)
He speaks french too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/brad-richards-keen-to-play-in-montreal-1.2645109

Brad Richards keen to play in Montreal

Greatest place to play hockey, says Richards
CBC News Posted: May 16, 2014 11:01 AM AT
Last Updated: May 16, 2014 11:01 AM AT

Yeah, I guess his agent told him to shave his legs, put on some lipstick and slip into that red dress and dim the lights - you got no one knocking at the door asking for you.

Why does this sound like every other washed-up, has-been's wish to play in Montreal?

Oh wait I read that article too quickly. He said that before he was bought out.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Briere points in playoffs helped this yr.......even with reduced mins.....

Bouillon scored 2 goals too, that helped us. Doesn't mean he doesn't completely suck. Every point helps in the POs. That really isn't the issue. Briere didn't get 4M so he can play 10min in the POs and score 3 goals.
It was a bad signing, period.

Richards doesn't fill a need.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, I guess his agent told him to shave his legs, put on some lipstick and slip into that red dress and dim the lights - you got no one knocking at the door asking for you.

Why does this sound like every other washed-up, has-been's wish to play in Montreal?

The article is from May 16th. It's prior to his buyout.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Oh wait I read that article too quickly. He said that before he was bought out.

Another soft, slow and fading 45 pt man.exactly what the habs need.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Don't feel like "plan B" enough eh habs?

Gomez, Gionta, Vinny, Briere and maybe Richards! Just keep chasing them Montreal and one day when they are unwanted by everyone else you just might get to be the "lucky" swamp donkey he takes home at last call.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
If this was last year between Brierre and Richards, I would not have had a problem signing Richards for the same contract we gave Brierre.....but that was last year...

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Don't feel like "plan B" enough eh habs?

Gomez, Gionta, Vinny, Briere and maybe Richards! Just keep chasing them Montreal and one day when they are unwanted by everyone else you just might get to be the "lucky" swamp donkey he takes home at last call.

Pretty much this + we'll miss the usual Jagr propping up his value by using the Habs as a negotiating tool, Richards can take his spot and hopefully takes his services elsewhere too

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
....that's a thread, really?

Engels even said we aren't looking at him. Not that reliable of a source but still better than the speculation that this thread is based on.

It just makes no sense. We already have Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller as our top 3 center and we'll have to make some space in the middle for Galchenyuk sooner than later. I doubt Richards wants to be moved to the wing. He can get more money and ice time elsewhere.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
It's a longshot but I wouldn't rule it out. Unless someone does a LeCavalier type 4 year deal. We need to get bigger up the middle and he'd be a stopgap and a hell of a piece of depth.

Course someone has to move out. And his value is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad