A Gritty Story (creation of a mascot)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The making of Gritty, the Flyers' new mascot sensation: Will...

From the Athletic (paywall)

Deep (long) article on the history of how the Flyers (one of three teams that did not have a costumed mascot) decided to get a mascot, designed it, fabricated it and his big splash on TV and in MSM and social media.

(The other teams without a costumed mascot: Rangers, Red Wings)

With 28 other NHL teams having mascots (not to mention all the minor league teams and other sports leagues), there was a derth of animals that could be used, and bats (flyers) didn't make the cut.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.
-- William Shakespeare

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
John Oliver on HBO

upload_2018-10-1_0-26-40.png

upload_2018-10-1_1-7-6.png

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Gettin’ Gritty Wit It: Flyers new mascot a big hit
”If he’s supposed to bring attention to the game , I think he’s done a pretty good job of doing that,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said.
Mascot mythology is fun.

But the truth is, the Flyers had missed out on the in-game frivolity, the merchandise revenue streams and the community outreach programs that result from a marketable mascot. At the 2016 NHL All-Star game in Nashville, Tennessee, the Flyers’ marketing department saw the rest of the league’s mascots – like Bailey the Lion , S.J. Sharkie and Stormy – competing in various games and realized it was time to make a mascot from myth to reality.

The Flyers had tried a mascot before, but Slapshot lasted just one season in 1976.

”Our players, the Flyers’ wives, the alumni, you can only ask them to do so much,” said Joe Heller, Flyers’ vice president of marketing. ”We felt that there is so much more we could do by creating a mascot program.”
The Flyers considered over 100 options before they settled on a sketch from freelance designer Brian Allen of Flyland Designs.

Gritty's back story is that he was found during renovations to WFC. Gotta wonder how unoriginal that is at times. :D

One in a hundred, obviously.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys sorry for bringing up this old thread but I'm doing a presentation in part about Gritty. Take a look at how the search results increased for Flyers when Gritty was announced and how the search results for "gritty" increased up to now from the announcement. I realize that the it was a low bar as not many people were googling the word "gritty" before, but still interesting.

upload_2018-11-23_2-4-15.png

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is actually unreal he's become such a phenomenon. I was in Cleveland to see a Browns game with my dad, were taking the elevator up and get into a discussion about where we are from. After saying we are from Toronto, and seeing we are Leafs fans (I'm wearing a hat), the first thing the guy asks is "what do you think of Gritty?" This is in mid-October, quite awhile after his announcement.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Has anyone looked at the financial impact Gritty has on the Flyers brand?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He has a brother called Dratuti in Nizhni Novgorod, Russia. Mascot of Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod, KHL.

How it started as April Fool ...

And how it is going today ...

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad