A (*good*) GM Game/Fantasy League

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1

No offense to the other GM games out there, but they lack structure and interest. So here's how we're going to do this one: A fantasy draft of however many teams we can field (I'd hope for around 30, I'd settle for whatever we can get.) There will not be a salary cap; instead each team will have a budget. At first, each team will have the same budget. When you have drafted your team, you will pm me with a set of team goals, and how ambitious your goals are and how well you achieve them once (if) the season starts will determine whether your budget will increase or decrease. For example, if you expect to win the HFL (Hockey's Future League--real, origional, I know) and you are a last place team, expect your budget cut. If you hope to finish out of last place, don't hope for huge sums of money to do it with. If this system doesn't work, then we'll just go to a cap which will be adjusted to fit the number of teams we field.

Then, as you would expect, the you will play the part of GM (Assistant GMs are welcome as well) and it will be your responsibility to sign any unsigned players that you draft, trade and the like, all of which has to fit under the cap. All moves are to be approved by the Commissioner (in this case, me) and an assistant Commish who can take the reins if I am unavailable for one reason or another.

Here's the kicker (which probably isn't so unexpected): When your players become Free Agents, it is your responsibility to fit them back into your budget. Once FA's hit the open market in the offseason, it will be my job to decide which offer is best (usually it is just about the money, unless one team is offering Jarome Iginla the first line spot and another wants him on the checking line.) Each offseason we will do a draft. If there's enough interest in the league, we'll even draft prospects and have a minor league system to hold them in.

Anywho, this seems like a great way to keep us occupied for a while. I, Commissioner Henry Decker, have just founded the HFL and its 1st team:

1) New York Ice Liberals

Hopefully some of you will sign up!

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Sounds interesting.. What exactly do we do with our team once their drafted? Is it an FHL league or what?

KH1

Fantastic--we're off to a pretty good start as far as getting teams is concerned. Anywho, here's how we stand as of now (in no particular order):

1) New York Ice Liberals
2) Frederick Hillbillies
3) Kensington Vipers (way to go PEI!)
4) Saskatoon Blades
5) San Clemente Brown Beavers
6) Vienna Sausages

A note: Make a little post on whatever board you frequent about this thread. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this game.

KH1

2forsbergaura1 said:
do u have a website yet so we can take a look?

also,is this a SIM or based on NHL stats?etc. thanks
No website yet, but I'll get around to it once we get a little more organized. And it is based on NHL stats, in standard fantasy categories. If there's no season, however, we could sim games.

1) NY Ice Liberals
2) Frederick Hillbillies
3) Kensington Vipers
4) Saskatoon Blades
6) Vienna Sausages
7) Portland Smokies

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
ok, would u be able to explain the rules a bit more clearly? lets say i tell you that i expect to finish 1st and i do finish 1st...if u give me a larger budget for doing so then you are only helping a 1st place team become even better. i dont quite get it...

KH1

2forsbergaura1 said:
ok, would u be able to explain the rules a bit more clearly? lets say i tell you that i expect to finish 1st and i do finish 1st...if u give me a larger budget for doing so then you are only helping a 1st place team become even better. i dont quite get it...
Your budget would be slightly increased as a reward for completing your goal. It's the most realistic way I can think of.

UltimoRoger

Nov 2, 2004
I know I'm new here, but I'd like to participate as well.

My team name will be the Waterloo Knights

KH1

Sorry, my computer's been acting up recently, but that's all fixed now and we can move forward (Mozilla Firefox is a lifesaver, btw.)

1) NY Ice Liberals
2) Frederick Hillbillies
3) Kensington Vipers
4) Saskatoon Blades
6) Vienna Sausages
7) Portland Smokies
8) Collwood Crusaders
9) Waterloo Knights
10) Lehtonen 32's John Doe's

We've hit double-digits, people. Spread word of the league around, the sooner we can draft the better!

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Sounds like an interesting league. I will join and be part of the action.

Barrie Bobcats will be my team.

KH1

Lehtonen32 said:
You could try posting a thread on the Fantasy Hockey Board aswell, from what I've seen that usually works pretty well.
Suggestion noted.

1) NY Ice Liberals
2) Frederick Hillbillies
3) Kensington Vipers
4) Saskatoon Blades
6) Vienna Sausages
7) Portland Smokies
8) Collwood Crusaders
9) Waterloo Knights
10) Lehtonen 32's John Doe's
11) Barrie Bobcats