A good flex for me?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Im 5'7" , 125lbs, 15 yrs

Currently using a NBS One55 OPS with an original flex of 87..I believe it's an Intermediate stick

I cut it down one...'bar'? you could say, the bars are about 1.5 inches apart the one I cut it to is illegible cuz of the tape, but the other ones are (in a diagram):

- Top of stick, my unknown flex

The problem I have with this is I cant flex the stick very much, a wood stick is more yielding and it's harder for me to get a good shot and to make strong passes.

Is this 'unknown' flex the problem? Or is it just me?

And If it is, what is your recommended flex?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
An 87 is a senior flex. 75 and up are usually senior, 65 ish are intermediate, 50 is junior and 40 is youth.

You need a 75 flex or a 65. Probably better to go with the intermediate 65.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
I recently learned the rule of thumb is your stick flex should be 1/2 your bodyweight. By that rule, 87 is too much for you, and so w/e your flex actually is is definitely too much.

I have pretty much the same issue. 5'10" (5'11" some days), 135 lb, and I have a 95 flex stick. I can flex it a little but it takes a lot of force. I've wanted to swap to a lower flex for a long time, but I don't spend a lot of money on equipment so I pretty much need to wait until this one breaks or hope something goes on sale for really cheap.

First skate today though, since April, and my shot has definitely gotten better. Just practice with it and you'll get better.

Anyways, a good flex for you would be 75. Of course this is just a general rule. You want to use as stiff a stick as you can comfortably flex, so if you're really strong or something, you can go to 80-85 (or whatever flex they make sticks in around there).

I don't know how low stick flexes go in intermediate, but if need be by a really stiff junior stick and then put a stick plug on the end. Make sure the blade is large if you go this route.

BadHammy*

I'm 180-ish and can manhandle a 102. It all depends on the person and what shots you take.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Switch to a 67 intermediate. After you cut it it will be in the 70s, which is fine for your size.

EDIT: One nice bonus is that the intermediates are cheaper.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AHHHH!! Crap there was an Easton Synergy Elite: http://www.fs4sports.com/catalog/a117831.jpg

On sale a couple of weeks ago at my LHS for 69.99 intermediate, I tested it at the store on their shooting ranges, put it bar down on 1st shot!!!

Should have asked you guys earlier...DAMN IT!!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
AHHHH!! Crap there was an Easton Synergy Elite: http://www.fs4sports.com/catalog/a117831.jpg

On sale a couple of weeks ago at my LHS for 69.99 intermediate, I tested it at the store on their shooting ranges, put it bar down on 1st shot!!!

Should have asked you guys earlier...DAMN IT!!

Ask them if they will give you the sale price. They may have received a deal to move them.

What does "bar down" mean?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, I gues Im stuck with the One55 I have right now, which would put it around the mid 90's in flex...any tips on how to maximize on this? I don't mind shooting poorly, but passing is important

Butters Scotch

Sep 2, 2009
Canada
Get bigger and stronger. 15 yo is usually a good year for you to slowly start gym training (at your school or in a commercial gym). I don't know what level you're playing, but you could consider asking some competitive hockey players of your age you might know (Bantam or Midget AAA). They probably know some workouts (not necessarely weight training) you could try. Maybe you won't find it useful to make all those sacrifices for a stick, but you'll quickly see a great improvement in your game shape and your overall strength (and your stick won't seem to be that stiff anymore).

BadHammy*

Get bigger and stronger. 15 yo is usually a good year for you to slowly start gym training (at your school or in a commercial gym). I don't know what level you're playing, but you could consider asking some competitive hockey players of your age you might know (Bantam or Midget AAA). They probably know some workouts (not necessarely weight training) you could try. Maybe you won't find it useful to make all those sacrifices for a stick, but you'll quickly see a great improvement in your game shape and your overall strength (and your stick won't seem to be that stiff anymore).

Develop naturally as much as you can, e.g. let yourself fill out as you age because you will. If you're playing very competitively, consider trying to gain weight and start lifting at 16-17. Personally, I would work on speed if I were you since that's most likely what you're built for. In order to succeed in hockey, you have to work with nature, not against it.

Butters Scotch

Sep 2, 2009
Canada
And just for the record:

Sydney Crosby, 2003-2004, just turned 16 yo, Rimouski Oceanic: 5'10, 170 lbs, Sher Wood Force 110 Flex Shaft.

So I guess having a stiffer stick isn't that bad for passing...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
ha thnx butters and donG, I turned 16 on Aug 12th and forgot that I was 16 lol

for the record, I have no arm strength, and play House League

I really like the training idea, but I suppose the only thing driving me back is commitment.

Butters Scotch

Sep 2, 2009
Canada
Yeah, it's the same for all of us. But once you'll get into it and you'll begin to see improvements, you won't want to stop. Trust me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
lol I'm sure, but how to start off? I would like to do something from when school starts (on Tues), but I dont hve any money for a gym or equipment, I only have a reclining bike and an upright stationary bike.

And I want to work on upper body, not lower

BadHammy*

lol I'm sure, but how to start off? I would like to do something from when school starts (on Tues), but I dont hve any money for a gym or equipment, I only have a reclining bike and an upright stationary bike.

And I want to work on upper body, not lower

Remember that shooting strength comes mostly from the legs, hips and core, not the upper body. I recommend you work on legs and forearms specifically, and triceps too, in order to help your shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad