Value of: A gently used Patrick Marleau

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Keep in mind leafs will have roughly 25M to sign 11 players (projecting a 1.8M cap increase). They have 12 players on their current roster signed for next year.

Matthews will get 10-11, Marner 7-8, Kapanen 2-3. That right there eats 20.5M. The leafs will need 8 players with around 4.5M. A backup goalie, 4-5 dmen, 2-3 forwards.

Let’s say the leafs promote liljegren. That’s another 896k. Leafs now have a top 4 of Reilly Zaitsev liljegren and dermott.

That leaves 3.6M to sign 7 guys. Even if a team left themselves 0 cap space (meaning cannot recall players without placing someone on ir who’s salary is the same or higher than the call up) that leaves an avg of 515k per player remaining. Considering minimum salary is 650k and could go up, something’s gotta give
Damn does that take into account Gardiners cap leaving? If so they are in a tougher spot than i thought.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only way he'd waive is if another team was willing to extend him after July 1st. Otherwise, I just don't see any logical reason why he'd want to move his entire family. Toronto is stuck with him.

He'd be very marketable to a budget team after July 1st because he'd be making 4th line money as a veteran presence who can score.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Damn does that take into account Gardiners cap leaving? If so they are in a tougher spot than i thought.
Yes it does. they have 12 players signed for next season that they have on their roster as of today. This does not include any rfa or Ufa salaries. After those 12 signed players, they have 23.2M cap space. I estimated a 1.8M cap rise bringing it to 25M. From there i used the mid mark on my cap projections for Matthews (10.5), Marner (7.5) Kapanen (2.5). Added in liljegren at 896k. That leaves a shade over 3M with 1 goalie 4 dmen 10 forwards. Leaving 8 roster spots left. Avg cap hit per player they have is the 518k which is not possible given that minimum salary is 650k

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Yes it does. they have 12 players signed for next season that they have on their roster as of today. This does not include any rfa or Ufa salaries. After those 12 signed players, they have 23.2M cap space. I estimated a 1.8M cap rise bringing it to 25M. From there i used the mid mark on my cap projections for Matthews (10.5), Marner (7.5) Kapanen (2.5). Added in liljegren at 896k. That leaves a shade over 3M with 1 goalie 4 dmen 10 forwards. Leaving 8 roster spots left. Avg cap hit per player they have is the 518k which is not possible given that minimum salary is 650k
Yikes. And those seem like pretty conservative estimated on those 3 new deals. I doubt they will be able to move Marleau so how will they make room? Try getting rid of Zaitsev? Trade Nylander?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yikes. And those seem like pretty conservative estimated on those 3 new deals. I doubt they will be able to move Marleau so how will they make room? Try getting rid of Zaitsev? Trade Nylander?
Marleau and zaitsev are the main candidates imo. From there if guess kadri

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Are u taking into account Hortons contract going on ir? I just checked capfriendly and if u put Hortons 5.3mill on LTIR they should be fine.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Marleau and zaitsev are the main candidates imo. From there if guess kadri
If they trade Zaitsev their RD would be horrible. And if they trade Kadri i dont see any replacements at #3c for him unless the plan on using Nylander there who i dont think is the best in a defensive #3c like Kadri.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
He has 1.25 million for 1 year.

Exactly. Everyone needs to read your comment before posting nonsense about the Leafs needing to add assets just to get rid of him. A large portion of the teams in the league are not cap teams so his large cap hit is of zero concern to them. A 1.25M salary for someone that looks to be going to score 20+ goals again is of course something many teams would be willing to pay a decent price for.

Having said that, I don't see any reason he would waive his NTC so it's probably a moot point.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Keep in mind leafs will have roughly 25M to sign 11 players (projecting a 1.8M cap increase). They have 12 players on their current roster signed for next year.

Matthews will get 10-11, Marner 7-8, Kapanen 2-3. That right there eats 20.5M. The leafs will need 8 players with around 4.5M. A backup goalie, 4-5 dmen, 2-3 forwards.

Let’s say the leafs promote liljegren. That’s another 896k. Leafs now have a top 4 of Reilly Zaitsev liljegren and dermott.

That leaves 3.6M to sign 7 guys. Even if a team left themselves 0 cap space (meaning cannot recall players without placing someone on ir who’s salary is the same or higher than the call up) that leaves an avg of 515k per player remaining. Considering minimum salary is 650k and could go up, something’s gotta give

You are forgetting Horton is LTIR so there is another 5+M in cap space. Their 4th line will all come from the Marlies as well and will be cheap. Rosen is a bottom pairing D signed for 650k who wil ply next year.

They have cheap depth. They'll bridge a few guys if they have to. After next year they lose Horton and Marleau off the books for good as well for even more cap. That's also assuming the cap doesn't go up by 3M each year.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You are forgetting Horton is LTIR so there is another 5+M in cap space. Their 4th line will all come from the Marlies as well and will be cheap. Rosen is a bottom pairing D signed for 650k who wil ply next year.

They have cheap depth. They'll bridge a few guys if they have to. After next year they lose Horton and Marleau off the books for good as well for even more cap. That's also assuming the cap doesn't go up by 3M each year.
Idk if cap friendly includes Horton in the 12 players. I’d have to go back and check

Edit: don’t think they do as I counted 13 with Horton signed through next season and the projections I used by them lists it’s with a roster of 12

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
You forgot to include 5.3 million for Horton's LTIR and a 1.8 mil cap increase is lower than projected (should be around 3), but the numbers you used for Marner and Matthews' contract are a little low. Add 1 mil to both.

Leafs will likely have 12 players signed with around 31 mil to fill the rest of the spots. With Marner(9), Matthews(11), Kapanen(3), Johnsson(1.75) and Sparks (0.9) signing + Grundstrom(0.925) and one of Rosen (0.75) or Liljegren (0.9) making the NHL, the leafs should have around 4 mil to sign 4 players. Connor Brown might have to be moved to make that 6 mil to sign 5 players.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Let’s assume he agrees to waive his NMC after this year for whatever reason. What is his value? Great leader and mentor, makes you better just by walking by you. A lot of NHL games and he ocassionly looks like his younger self but most of the time can’t handle a pass and has lost a step. Err didn’t mean to put that last part..

I’ll start the bidding at Marleau + 2nd 2019 at the draft for a 7th rounder. No long term bad contracts coming back please.

There is only one scenario where he waives his NMC in the off season... if the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup this year. He might then cut the Leafs a break and allow them to deal his contract.

Oiler fans might as well start a thread... If Lucic were to win the Rocket Trophy this year, what would you offer us?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just let Gardiner go and sign your guys and let his contract play out. Marleau is going to play another year after his contract expires.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You forgot to include 5.3 million for Horton's LTIR and a 1.8 mil cap increase is lower than projected (should be around 3), but the numbers you used for Marner and Matthews' contract are a little low. Add 1 mil to both.

Leafs will likely have 12 players signed with around 31 mil to fill the rest of the spots. With Marner(9), Matthews(11), Kapanen(3), Johnsson(1.75) and Sparks (0.9) signing + Grundstrom(0.925) and one of Rosen (0.75) or Liljegren (0.9) making the NHL, the leafs should have around 4 mil to sign 4 players. Connor Brown might have to be moved to make that 6 mil to sign 5 players.
nope capfriendly has those numbers with 12 players. Horton makes 13

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

What is this? 1.8M cap increase? The early projections are 83M or 3.5M increase. If you look at the following team the leafs have 32M to work with, not 25: Test - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. If you assume that Rosen and Grundstrom will make the team (safe bets) that leaves the Leafs with 30.3M to sign Matthews (11), Marner(8.5), Kapanen(?), Johnsson(?), Sparks (.9), and 2D.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
What is this? 1.8M cap increase? The early projections are 83M or 3.5M increase. If you look at the following team the leafs have 32M to work with, not 25: Test - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. If you assume that Rosen and Grundstrom will make the team (safe bets) that leaves the Leafs with 30.3M to sign Matthews (11), Marner(8.5), Kapanen(?), Johnsson(?), Sparks (.9), and 2D.
So based off that I see I was wrong even though when you just look at the leafs cap situation this season and moving forward, it’s listed they have 23.2M left with 12 players signed. It does in fact include a 13th player (Horton) and his 5.3M. That’s why my projections were so off.

Now when it comes to the cap increase I hadn’t looked into early reports that it will go up to 83. I just made an informed guess based on the last 3 cap increases.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
nope capfriendly has those numbers with 12 players. Horton makes 13

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding but right now Horton is on the cap for the Leafs. Next year they will LTIR him adding an additional 5M to what they have next year. And they can move out guys like Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau if needed without impacting the team very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad