Value of: A gently used Patrick Marleau

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Let’s assume he agrees to waive his NMC after this year for whatever reason. What is his value? Great leader and mentor, makes you better just by walking by you. A lot of NHL games and he ocassionly looks like his younger self but most of the time can’t handle a pass and has lost a step. Err didn’t mean to put that last part..

I’ll start the bidding at Marleau + 2nd 2019 at the draft for a 7th rounder. No long term bad contracts coming back please.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Let’s assume he agrees to waive his NMC after this year for whatever reason. What is his value? Great leader and mentor, makes you better just by walking by you. A lot of NHL games and he ocassionly looks like his younger self but most of the time can’t handle a pass and has lost a step. Err didn’t mean to put that last part..

I’ll start the bidding at Marleau + 2nd 2019 at the draft for a 7th rounder. No long term bad contracts coming back please.

A lot of the negative value is that he has a NMC and kinda controls his destiny. If were assuming he is willling to waive for anyone, it wont cost nearly as much to move him. The problem is he isnt (likely) going to waive for just anyone.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Youd get out of the Marleau contract pretty easily I would assume, could see him having value

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Canucks offer Tim Schaller (sorta helps your toughness need) for Marleau + 2019 2nd and 3rd

Schaller is signed through next season at 1.9M

Reactions: Kamiccolo

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
1.25M in actual salary next season (if traded after July 1st).

I definitely think he has positive value for a bunch of teams in this league at that # (at least those that don't spend to the cap). Issue is the NMC. At his age, I can't see him wanting to displace his family, especially seeing as he's already on a contending Leafs team.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

How bout jaybo, Steen
For
Marleu 1st 2019

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
If he agrees to wave, I bet you wouldn't have to add to move him. After that bonus is paid there are lenty of copetitive teams who have space because of an internal cap.

Reactions: TML1967

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if he's willing to waive, he's a great target for a cap floor team after July 1st. He shouldn't cost anything to get rid of if that's the case, otherwise I'd say we're stuck with him until the end of the contract (which was an obviously stupid one to give out right from day 1)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Keep in mind leafs will have roughly 25M to sign 11 players (projecting a 1.8M cap increase). They have 12 players on their current roster signed for next year.

Matthews will get 10-11, Marner 7-8, Kapanen 2-3. That right there eats 20.5M. The leafs will need 8 players with around 4.5M. A backup goalie, 4-5 dmen, 2-3 forwards.

Let’s say the leafs promote liljegren. That’s another 896k. Leafs now have a top 4 of Reilly Zaitsev liljegren and dermott.

That leaves 3.6M to sign 7 guys. Even if a team left themselves 0 cap space (meaning cannot recall players without placing someone on ir who’s salary is the same or higher than the call up) that leaves an avg of 515k per player remaining. Considering minimum salary is 650k and could go up, something’s gotta give

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe to go back to SJ for a retirement lap. Other than that I think he wants to stay.

He came to Toronto in the first place cause San Jose wouldn't give him that third year, seems kind of unlikely they will change their mind and add a 40 year old eating up all that cap space.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Worst thing is that if they try to pressure him to waive he can retire and leafs are still stuck with the cap hit

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yup, don't see him waiving unless it's back to the Sharks.

I could see him waiving to go to another contender, but what contender has $6.25M in cap space laying around? IMO if Toronto really wants to move him they’re going to have to retain a good deal to make him affordable to any team that he would realistically waive to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad