A Fresh Start For Misused James Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
How do you know the OP isn't looking at things subjectively?

I mean, I would love to hear his reasons for not liking Reimer when he was putting up #1 goaltending numbers. That's as objective as you could get.

The person in question is irrelevant. I'm just saying as a 'fan' you don't have to think everybody is a perfect fit for the team to be one.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Honestly, I don't care who's in net as long as they stop the puck and win games. The answer to the goaltending question is quite obvious - fix the way the team plays in front of the goalie and I dare say even Bryzgalov could win a significant number of games for this team.

This occurred in the 2010 Cup Finals when Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher took the Philly Flyers to a Game 6 OT loss to the BlackHawks.

Build the team and then worry about the goalies. If, in the meantime, you can draft or trade for a Carey Price - you do so.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
When Bernier gets back we are really going to see who gets to play based on merit.

Is he going to be handed the starter job back on a silver platter again?

Hopefully they will ride Reimer as long as he is hot. He plays better when he plays.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Reimer looked more lucky than good yesterday. He looked better in the Washington game than he did in this game. He was flopping around like a fish out of water & a good handful of pucks hit him, where he had zero clue where the puck was coming from or going to.

He had one save in the first that Millen & the other idiot were calling a great save, but it was only a "great" save because he was 2 feet out of position, for no reason. If he was where he should have been it is a routine save. Big save, but a complete screw up by him on the play.

After watching yesterdays performance I have not gained one ounce of confidence in him.

Not: I'm not a Bernier fan & have little confidence in him as well.

P.S. No Hasek comments please, he was a freak of nature.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Reimer looked more lucky than good yesterday. He looked better in the Washington game than he did in this game. He was flopping around like a fish out of water & a good handful of pucks hit him, where he had zero clue where the puck was coming from or going to.

He had one save in the first that Millen & the other idiot were calling a great save, but it was only a "great" save because he was 2 feet out of position, for no reason. If he was where he should have been it is a routine save. Big save, but a complete screw up by him on the play.

After watching yesterdays performance I have not gained one ounce of confidence in him.

Hmm how bout Tim Thomas?

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Swimming around, flip flopping as much as its not pretty, has always been reimers style. Even in the lockout season, if you go back and watch the earlier years when he was our undisputed number 1, he still played like this. He relies on his athleticism

When it works, he looks amazing. When is doesn't, he looks garbage. Its very on and off.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If you go back to the preseason, there's really no comparison between Reimer and Bernier.

That probably says more about Bernier's lack of focus this season though.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

To the bolded, I feel like positioning and reading the play gets a bit undervalued among many fans when they evaluate goaltenders. A goalie who had perfect reads and positioning sometimes get comments like "He didn't face any tough shots". He did, he just made them look easy.

And I think you can connect this to Reimer and the reason they brought Bernier and why Babcock made an early decision to use Bernier as the #1. As a coach, you want a structured game. You want the forwards to know what the D-men is going to do so that they can support them properly, and you want the D-men to know what the goaltenders will do so they can support them properly. Reimer has always been a bit of a chaotic goaltender. His positioning isn't great and his rebound control has been crap as well, which lends itself to chaotic situations that can break down that defensive structure that the coach want. He makes up for it with other qualities, but he can't undo the scrambling needed.

However, there are two points that needs to be considered with this. First, Reimer has gotten better at this. His rebound control is much better, and his positioning has taken steps as well. Second, having a style that lends itself to a structured defense is secondary to actual shot stopping performance. Reimer has outplayed Bernier easily so far this season, and that should always be the main factor.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It doesn't matter if Riemer can become a legit high end starter since our only options are him or Bernier at this time . I couldn't give a damn whether he's flopping around like a fish out of water as long as the puck stays out of our net . I don't give points for style and as calm and technically sound as Bernier is it doesn't mean anything if he can't stop the puck .

Above all else you have to mentally tough to be a starter and Reims has proven that he can take a lot of crap and still bounce back . Bernier has been coddled his entire time here and still can't keep focus . It's time for him to fill the b/u role and wait to see if he'll get another opportunity as a starter .

unfortunately for the team Bernier has the longer contract so i believe they'll keep giving him chances to be the starter regardless of whether he's earned it or Riems has faltered

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Swimming around, flip flopping as much as its not pretty, has always been reimers style. Even in the lockout season, if you go back and watch the earlier years when he was our undisputed number 1, he still played like this. He relies on his athleticism

When it works, he looks amazing. When is doesn't, he looks garbage. Its very on and off.

It doesn't work more than it works.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To the bolded, I feel like positioning and reading the play gets a bit undervalued among many fans when they evaluate goaltenders. A goalie who had perfect reads and positioning sometimes get comments like "He didn't face any tough shots". He did, he just made them look easy.

And I think you can connect this to Reimer and the reason they brought Bernier and why Babcock made an early decision to use Bernier as the #1. As a coach, you want a structured game. You want the forwards to know what the D-men is going to do so that they can support them properly, and you want the D-men to know what the goaltenders will do so they can support them properly. Reimer has always been a bit of a chaotic goaltender. His positioning isn't great and his rebound control has been crap as well, which lends itself to chaotic situations that can break down that defensive structure that the coach want. He makes up for it with other qualities, but he can't undo the scrambling needed.

However, there are two points that needs to be considered with this. First, Reimer has gotten better at this. His rebound control is much better, and his positioning has taken steps as well. Second, having a style that lends itself to a structured defense is secondary to actual shot stopping performance. Reimer has outplayed Bernier easily so far this season, and that should always be the main factor.

This absolutely.

Many would still take Joseph over Belfour for this very reason.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It doesn't matter if Riemer can become a legit high end starter since our only options are him or Bernier at this time . I couldn't give a damn whether he's flopping around like a fish out of water as long as the puck stays out of our net . I don't give points for style and as calm and technically sound as Bernier is it doesn't mean anything if he can't stop the puck .

Above all else you have to mentally tough to be a starter and Reims has proven that he can take a lot of crap and still bounce back . Bernier has been coddled his entire time here and still can't keep focus . It's time for him to fill the b/u role and wait to see if he'll get another opportunity as a starter .

unfortunately for the team Bernier has the longer contract so i believe they'll keep giving him chances to be the starter regardless of whether he's earned it or Riems has faltered

I agree with your first paragraph. Not the second. I'm not sure I see the connections between a starter having to handle being put as a backup. Or that Reimer is actually mentally tough, he seemed to have a hard time handling a rather bleak comment from Carlyle and he did demand a trade. I think "bounce back" is premature, especially considering he's gotten other chances and done the opposite. And I don't see how any of that mental toughness has anything to do with Bernier's focus issue. That's two completely different issues altogether.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

If I'm a shooter & I'm watching tapes of Reimer, I make a mental note, delay 1/2 second & there will be an opening coming.

If I'm not the shooter, or after I shoot, I'm going to the net.

Regarding the Bernier point, I agree, roll with Reimer as long as we can.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I agree with your first paragraph. Not the second. I'm not sure I see the connections between a starter having to handle being put as a backup. Or that Reimer is actually mentally tough, he seemed to have a hard time handling a rather bleak comment from Carlyle and he did demand a trade. I think "bounce back" is premature, especially considering he's gotten other chances and done the opposite. And I don't see how any of that mental toughness has anything to do with Bernier's focus issue. That's two completely different issues altogether.

The only reason we're even having a discussion about who should be our starter is because after 2 plus years of doing everything possible to hand the starters job to Bernier he still hasn't been able to run with it . All i hear is how Riems has been given chances and has failed but then those saying this keep ignoring Bernier has been given even more chances and has also failed .

it isn't easy for any b/u to come in after long periods of not playing and play well especially if they feel they been treated unfairly like Riems deservedly must feel

i don't give a damn if we replace both next year but i have no idea why there's this love affair with Bernier , the guy has been given every chance and still can't prove himself

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If I'm a shooter & I'm watching tapes of Reimer, I make a mental note, delay 1/2 second & there will be an opening coming.

If I'm not the shooter, or after I shoot, I'm going to the net.

Regarding the Bernier point, I agree, roll with Reimer as long as we can.

and if i'm a coach i'm telling my team to throw anything on net early on Bernier since he's proven he'll give up a softie or two until he gets his head into a game

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The only reason we're even having a discussion about who should be our starter is because after 2 plus years of doing everything possible to hand the starters job to Bernier he still hasn't been able to run with it . All i hear is how Riems has been given chances and has failed but then those saying this keep ignoring Bernier has been given even more chances and has also failed .

it isn't easy for any b/u to come in after long periods of not playing and play well especially if they feel they been treated unfairly like Riems deservedly must feel

i don't give a damn if we replace both next year but i have no idea why there's this love affair with Bernier , the guy has been given every chance and still can't prove himself

Who exactly have a love affair with Bernier? He's barely been mentioned in the recent discussion.

As for chances, Reimer has a larger sample size of sustained play that is not good enough for a long-term starter. That might change this season though. Either way, in all likelihood neither of them are more than at the most a part of the answer to our goaltending long-term.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
and if i'm a coach i'm telling my team to throw anything on net early on Bernier since he's proven he'll give up a softie or two until he gets his head into a game

If you throw Bernier right in the fray I think he'll give you a good performance. It's when there's a lull on his end of the ice is where there's issues.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you throw Bernier right in the fray I think he'll give you a good performance. It's when there's a lull on his end of the ice is where there's issues.

Yeah. Someone brought up statistics to compare Bernier when he's busy and when we keep the shots down. Considering that the goal is to become a better team that is proficient in keeping shots down, this is rather damning for Bernier.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I would too. I don't have much confidence in either.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who exactly have a love affair with Bernier? He's barely been mentioned in the recent discussion.

As for chances, Reimer has a larger sample size of sustained play that is not good enough for a long-term starter. That might change this season though. Either way, in all likelihood neither of them are more than at the most a part of the answer to our goaltending long-term.

how has Riemer had a larger sample size that has been deemed not good enough ? his last year as a starter he led us to the playoffs and his numbers were very good , Bernier has been nothing but a failure as a starter

don't worry however i'm sure Bernier will keep getting more chances regardless of how Riems plays , there contract status pretty much makes it inevitable

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I agree with everything except saying Reimer has easily out played Bernier. Reimer has more points and wins but has also had goal support. I do strongly agree that Reimer has improved his game a lot.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Opie seems like such a nice guy that I can't help being happy when he does well, even if he gets low marks for technical merit.

Hopefully he plays well enough in future to be a reliable backup, no matter who takes the starting job, because he's the kind of person you'd like to have on this team. Can't say that about everyone.

I don't think he'll ever be the saviour, but it doesn't look like Bernier is either. Maybe Berner will grow into that, or if not that a more talented goalie will eventually come along.

Until then, I enjoy watching Reimer and I'm glad he's still with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad