A Fresh Start For Misused James Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is nice to see a goaltender pick up some points for a change.

Although, it might not be in the best interest long term.

The goal isn't winning this year, and if Reimer keeps picking up points perhaps they should look at moving him or at least undermining his confidence and messing with his head.

Goalies have to play with confidence, while you can get away with being non-productive in skating positions you can't do that in net.

I can imagine "he was in the right spot and he waved his glove at the puck but missed it. Doesn't matter, he is doing the right things. Actually making the save is secondary to being in the right spot to make the save." :help:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Nith has written that he doesn't believe Reimer got a fair shot when Bernier arrives, and that Bernier has had more rope. The fact that Reimer was played so inconsistently could've led to his terrible play.

But in fairness he's had some great opportunities to take the ball and run with it and it's only now that he actually has.

Good point. I would admit Reimer was given one good opportunity at the end of last season when Bernier was injured. However the team as a whole was at an all time low
In the confidence department especially without Carlyle.

ULF_55 - I play net, and I strongly disagree. The most important thing is keeping the puck out of the net. Positioning and technique are secondary to that.

Also, winning is everything in professional sports. I think we will have to agree to disagree

I know we are in rebuild mode. But if someone is playing well, we should trade them? What? Are you advocating messing with his head? Lol

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
It is nice to see a goaltender pick up some points for a change.

Although, it might not be in the best interest long term.

The goal isn't winning this year, and if Reimer keeps picking up points perhaps they should look at moving him or at least undermining his confidence and messing with his head.

Goalies have to play with confidence, while you can get away with being non-productive in skating positions you can't do that in net.

I can imagine "he was in the right spot and he waved his glove at the puck but missed it. Doesn't matter, he is doing the right things. Actually making the save is secondary to being in the right spot to make the save." :help:

The Leafs management regime don't need any help in messing with Reims' head. My guess is as soon as Bernier mentions he's good to go they'll staple poor James' butt to the bench and continue on with the tank commander of October.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The answer was right there for you in the first sentence.

I said why include 2011 - that's a question not an answer and you have yet to answer that question. Once again, I was commenting on his play for the last two seasons. To be crystal clear, we're talking about 2013-14 and 2014-15. Please explain how a 2011 injury is relevant here. Keep in mind that he played very well in 2012-13.

You are someone running on an assumption that his problems are "mental weakness". While it is a possibility, it is equally possible that his recurring physical issue has hampered him.

Nope. I mentioned as one possibility, nothing more. It's hard to have a discussion when you make stuff up.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
When Bernier gets back we are really going to see who gets to play based on merit.

Is he going to be handed the starter job back on a silver platter again?

Hopefully they will ride Reimer as long as he is hot. He plays better when he plays.

I think Babcock is better than that. How do you justify going back to the guy with an .899 save percentage and an 0-6-1 record?

About Reimer, November 10: "I think when you get an opportunity to start, and you gotta start every night, your job as the goalie is to keep the other guy on the bench, and as long as you play well, that's what you do." --Mike Babcock

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
well why they fire horachek then

I think he means we aren't expected to make the playoffs. We are in rebuild mode. We also are not expected to win. The goal is to prepare a foundation for Nylander, Brown, and Marner to come into a system that works and is firing on all cylinders.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
seriously?

Reimer played great in 2012-2013, Now a 2011 injury is being used to excuse his poor play in 2013-2015. Yes that is news to me. First it's that Bernier being brought in messed with his head, now this?

I like Reimer, I'm glad he'äs playing well. I'm hopeful (but skeptical) that he can keep it up, I would be thrilled. But let's stop making excuses for the guy. He played poorly for 2 seasons, period.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reimer played great in 2012-2013, Now a 2011 injury is being used to excuse his poor play in 2013-2015. Yes that is news to me. First it's that Bernier being brought in messed with his head, now this?

I like Reimer, I'm glad he'äs playing well. I'm hopeful (but skeptical) that he can keep it up, I would be thrilled. But let's stop making excuses for the guy. He played poorly for 2 seasons, period.

Goalies tend to break down over time in Toronto.

Bernier looked pretty good for a season ... and now a broken down, injury prone, mush-head. :sarcasm:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Reimer did play poorly for two seasons. In said two seasons, his schedule was poorly managed, and was poorly treated by the coaching staff, when he would start on a groove, it would be interrupted and was forced to fester and corrode. Let's call it for what it is, Reimer was most definitely mistreated by the TML organization. They crucified him for game 7. It would be like the Raptors organization relegating Kyle Lowry to a bench warmer, like the Jays replacing Donaldson and getting as much play time as Kawasaki.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

news to you?

he was great first year, crappy after being concussed to start his 2nd year, great his 3rd year....then never given a legit chance to start again. the one time he sorta was given a chance when the other goalie was injured, he was concussed again but played through it again.

right now is the first time in 3yrs he has received a healthy legit starting run.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
news to you?

he was great first year, crappy after being concussed to start his 2nd year, great his 3rd year....then never given a legit chance to start again. the one time he sorta was given a chance when the other goalie was injured, he was concussed again but played through it again.

right now is the first time in 3yrs he has received a healthy legit starting run.

Your response has nothing to di with what I said. Here it is again for you:
Reimer played great in 2012-2013, Now a 2011 injury is being used to excuse his poor play in 2013-2015. Yes that is news to me.

If you're going to quote a post, perhaps you should address what you qouted instead of rambling.

And stop with the excuses already. I like Reimer and am rooting for the guy but these excuses are getting embarrassing.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Reims will get his run now as #1 and we will see. Hope he continues but some of us have our doubts. Like Babs said if he plays good he goes back in. If he craps the bed he will come out. Good to see him get another shot and perform though he is such a likeable guy. Bernier has an attitude and fashionista look to him which I don't like but then again if he can solve his mental puck focus issues he can be elite. He was always really strong positionally and with his technique so if he can figure out the softies he can be good.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Reimer played great in 2012-2013, Now a 2011 injury is being used to excuse his poor play in 2013-2015. Yes that is news to me.

If you're going to quote a post, perhaps you should address what you qouted instead of rambling.

And stop with the excuses already. I like Reimer and am rooting for the guy but these excuses are getting embarrassing.

Pretty much.

If the argument is: He had competition.
then quite frankly, you raise to the challenge and kick his ass, regardless of how many chances you get because, (if you counter he didn't have that much) - you don't know how many you DO get.

He failed. Constantly. (until now, he's been v. impressive, but I am going to put a flag on the play - Contract Yearitis. and quite frankly, hopefully it's enough that makes us where we roughly are, and we can toss Reimer for a pick or something).

If the argument is that he was injured
I am sorry. I doubt very much that the club is allowed to let someone with a concussion play. Even if he had his "bell rung" if the Doctors etc (AFTER the game) said that he was unable to do so, he wouldn't have. If Reimer opened his mouth and said he was fine - that doesn't make him a battler, or a good team mate, it makes him an idiot. You don't get a gold star for being injured, playing and costing the team in the long run. (and I said the exact same thing with bernier when he did that mystery leg-cut thing and came back in. that was dumb bananas too).

If the argument was he wasn't "treated" fairly.
I am not even going to go there, because I think that is soooo subjective. ultimately, you suck it up, play better, then you hold the cards. Reimer did not.

He wasn't good. and if he was playing hurt, that was his fault.
same with Bernier.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
For what it's worth Jonas Siegal on TSN 1050 just said there is no goalie controversy, it's an injury and Bernier will be back as the #1. He did say that the heat is on Bernier to perform now as Reimer had a good little run there.
The panel also agreed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
For what it's worth Jonas Siegal on TSN 1050 just said there is no goalie controversy, it's an injury and Bernier will be back as the #1. He did say that the heat is on Bernier to perform now as Reimer had a good little run there.
The panel also agreed.

which, makes sense. If Bernier can't do that - then you put Reimer in.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
The panel also agreed.

That's because the Leafs need Bernier to be the guy. Reimer is on his last year of his contract. Bernier on the other hand has two more years left and if he doesn't perform well or at all, it will be hard to move him. Essentially they are stuck with him.

YOYOTCROSTER*

That is interesting as Siegel tweeted at 1233 Babs told Reims he is starting and told bernier he is backing up. I guess we will see when puck drops.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I don't really care which little comment you want to splice to respond to.

I've laid out exactly how his injuries have paralleled his performance issues. It might be coincidence, but that's the way it happened.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The panel also agreed.

I can see it already, Bernier will get injured again.

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015
That is interesting as Siegel tweeted at 1233 Babs told Reims he is starting and told bernier he is backing up. I guess we will see when puck drops.

IMO Babs will play Reims until the Leafs don't get a point. And then get Bernier back playing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad