A few questions from a hockey beginner..

dirtydevs9

Feb 2, 2008
USA
So I'd like to play Roller hockey this upcoming fall and I'd really like to be ready (as in able to compete and be amongst the best).
I go out everyday and skate and get some passes off, but that's about it.
So here are my questions:

1. How exactly can I perform a snapshot? is it in between a wrister and a slapshot? Please explain.

2. I have trouble keeping my head up when I'm stickhandling. Any tips for this?

3. I also have trouble getting the puck in the air (somehow I can easily float the puck when I'm passing, but never when I shoot)

Thanks

We'reGonnaWin*

So I'd like to play Roller hockey this upcoming fall and I'd really like to be ready (as in able to compete and be amongst the best).

1. How exactly can I perform a snapshot? is it in between a wrister and a slapshot? Please explain.

3. I also have trouble getting the puck in the air (somehow I can easily float the puck when I'm passing, but never when I shoot)

Thanks

1. Without going into detail, it's the same idea as a slapshot, but with about 90% less wide-up. I'm basically hitting the ice 1/2" behind the puck and flicking my wrist to point my blade to where I want the puck to go. It's a quick shot cause you're mostly using your arms as opposed to your whole body to get the shot off. Just take 5-6 pucks to the hash marks during warmup and practice shooting the puck with little to no-windup. Power through arms.

2. There's no silver bullet for this. Just practice off-ice. Tennis balls, golf balls -- just don't look down. And eventually you'll develop "feel".

3. Follow through with your blade pointing where you want the puck to go. So in your case, follow through so that your blade is pointing high.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007

Thanks

Let me give this a try, as I'm sure someone will chime in with a much better explanation:

1) I take snap shots slightly different than Delorme does. My snap shot isn't as much a small slap shot as it is a quick wrister. You know the feeling of letting the puck roll from the heal (Or mid part) to the toe of the blade, in a wrist shot? That's basically what I do, sans wind up, plus a much quicker motion, but don't forget the snap, or flick of the wrists. (I'm not saying his or mine are correct, I find the small slap shot type snap shot much easier for saucer passes, I just don't prefer it for shots)

2) Practice. Sit in front of your TV with your stick and a golf ball, or stand in your driveway and walk around without looking down, or get on your skates and skate around, forcing yourself not to look down. You just have to develop the feel. It will just come to you, but you have to work at it.

3) Try shooting like you pass? While shooting, don't simply drag your stick across the ground and push the puck. Use the blade and your wrists to almost cradle the puck (heal to toe, or mid to toe. let the puck ride the blade) and snap your wrists towards the end of the shot. It's a little difficult to explain without the use of a video or picture, which I'm sure someone else will be able to supply and be more useful, but lifting the puck is something not that difficult to learn, especially if you can do it with passes.

We'reGonnaWin*

No-no, I think we take snapshots pretty much the same. We're just describing it differently.

I'd still stress paying attention to the followthrough and pointing the blade at the target if the OP is working on getting his shots up. And it makes sense too. Stand 6 feet in front of the net and try to hit the crossbar without a high follow through with your blade -- it's pretty difficult. One way to cheat at this though is to pull a puck back quickly so you can cradle and "scoop" it on to your blade easier; therefore make it easier to get a puck up.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
1. Keep in mind snap shot is ALL WRIST, snap the wrist, hence the name Snapshot. Slap shot is a full out wind up and follow thru. Snap shot is just nothing but wrist movement.

2. There was a thread about this awhile back with some very good points, headcoach can help you out with all of this actually.

3. What ever you do to your pass to float, apply it to a snap shot or a wrist shot except with more power behind it and it should go up high, in simplest terms.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
My snapshot is basically the same as everyone elses. I use more of the wrist. My blade just a few inches off the rink before i shoot. Nothing close to being viewed as a slap shot.

Practice Practice Practice. Easy as that. You will get it eventually. Its harder to move from concrete to roller hockey floors and still have the puck move the same but it will come with practice.

For me, its all about where the toe of your stick is pointing. If its pointing to the goalies pad. Guess where the puck is going? Keep it up. High stick side is my favorite place to shoot. I don't score much because I'm more of a pass first guy. But keep the toe of your blade pointing upwards and you'll get there.

dirtydevs9

Feb 2, 2008
USA
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to go out and practice some of these techniques tonight, and I'll get back to you in this thread.

We'reGonnaWin*

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to go out and practice some of these techniques tonight, and I'll get back to you in this thread.

You probably gave yourself better advice than anything I or anyone else in this thread could've given.

johnunit

Aug 16, 2007
Winnipeg
Something no one mentioned, but you need to keep in mind (even if you already kinda know it): you will NOT be the best person there. You won't be even close. If you are as much of a beginner as you sound, you will easily be in the bottom half of any league. Just don't let that drag you down, because every other person on the ice (concrete?) would be too if they were just starting. Just be ready to accept that there will be a lot of things other people on the ice will be able to do that you can't, but accept it with the knowledge that with more practice you probably will be able to do it someday.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
The snap shot is neither slap shot with no wind up, nor it is wrist shot without a drag. It is, however, kind of combination of the two. You start with scooping the puck like in wrister, yet you place the blade 1-2 inch behind the puck like with slap shot. You then load the shaft the way you do it in slap shot, yet at the same time or short after you turn your both wrists and (most important!) pivot the shaft over your bottom hand like in wrist shot. The follow trough and pointing to the target are identical in all three shots.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net

Well, you have asked one of my favorite subjects that I love to teach my players. I have read the complete thread and I like what a lot of the guys have posted here. However, I would like to add just a couple of things. A snap shot can be one of the most deadliest weapons you can use against a goalie. If performed correctly, the goalie will not be able to react in time. To perform this shot correctly, you want to give as little motion or communication of the shot to the goalie. A good goalie, not a great goalie, can read and react to the movement of your stick.

If he sees this big wind up, he knows that you are going to do a slap shot. If he sees you drop your shoulder, he knows you are going to do a wrist shot.

But, if you come down the ice prepared to shoot. One, you are going to kind of freeze him in his tracks the minute you open up that blade. Try to not communicate the shot as much as possable. Once you get upon him, without dropping your shoulder, get the shot off. The shot is more of a wrist shot, but with a snap of the wrist and light pressure on the shaft of the stick(soft hands). Once you are about to get the shot off, you add pressure to the shaft of the stick with your hands. Remember...don't drop that shoulder!

I did like the golf ball thing! One of the things you will need to do is use your peripheral vision. Hold the golf ball just a little bit a head so that you can use your peripheral vision. Stand in one place while looking up and use your peripheral vision to see the ball. Once you have this down, then I want you to walk around with the ball and control the ball. How is it ok to look down? Yes! every once in a while you have to make quick "camera snap shots" of where you are at and what you are doing. I call it a camera snap shot, because this is the same thing you use when you go into a corner. Before you go into a corner, you always want to take a snap shot of your surroundings. So this way, when you get the puck you don't have to think where you are going to pass the puck. Because you have taken a snap shot of where your team mate is at and you can get it to him without problems. But, you must be comfortable with keeping your head up.

Well, getting the puck in the air is a matter of puck placement. If you have the puck a little bit behind you (in line with your skates), the puck will not fly. However, if you have the puck a little in front of you during the release, the puck takes flight.

Then it's just a matter of follow through. And as several members have already posted, where ever you point the blade is where the puck is going to go. follow through low and the puck fly's low. Follow through high, and the puck fly's high.

Now, there are a couple of things you can do to help improve the flight. If you hold the puck just a little ahead in line with your skates, and you place the puck more towards the heal, pull the puck towards your body to that the puck spins on the blade towards the tip of the blade. This spin is going to give the puck a gyro effect. Once the puck gets to the tip, you kind of cup the puck with the tip of the blade and then make a move like you are trying to get the blade underneath the puck. Even though there really isn't any room between the puck and the ice, the gyro effect has help pick the puck off the ice enought to slit a piece of paper underneath it. This space is good enough to help take flight with the puck.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Breakaway23*

Yeah, it's like a mini slapshot. But you only pull your stick back a few inches to about a foot, rather than a full wind-up.

Not really. Keep your puck-handling in front of you. It's just a feel and co-ordination thing. Moreso, it's a peripheral vision thing. It's just something you need to practice. Don't drag the puck, but do keep it moving.

This is just a follow-through when you shoot. Get a lot of velocity on the puck and kind of pick it up at you shoot it.

GOONSQUAD

Jun 12, 2008
Frederick MD

Thanks

Does hand positioning play a role in the wrist, snap and slap shots?

a wrist'er, for me, is whenyou have a bit more control so basically your hands are in the same position as when you are stickhandling. the hand controlling the shaft is closer to the butt end.

a snap shot, to me, is loaded about mid shaft, so about equidistant from the shaft hand to heel and butt end to hand. (he-he.. he said butt ot hand)

a slap shot loads the stick more so your shafat hand is further down the shaft or close to the heel.

Can someone corroborate this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad