A few questions about refs and juniors

Bupi

Jul 26, 2006
Does somebody know...

- how many games does an NHL referee officiate in a season?
- what's their salary?
- what's their schedule, ie. do they have a road trip of 8 games in two weeks followed by a week of rest?
- does two referees work together most of the season or do they have several "partners" to work with?
- does a single referee only officiate in one conference?

And about juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL)

- how do players get drafted to junior leagues?
- where a player lives during a season?
- how teams travel to road games (bus/airplane)?
- does players also go to school?
- do they get paid for playing and if they do, what's a typical salary?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
And about juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL)

- how do players get drafted to junior leagues?

The Bantam Draft (or the Priority Draft. They're all different names for the same thing). Basically 14/15 year olds across the country get drafted by the junior leagues which represent their region (BC/AB/SK/MB for the WHL, Ontario for the OHL and Quebec and the Maritimes for the QMJHL). American players can also get drafted but I'm not entirely sure of the zoning. THen there is also the Import Draft where teams draft the rights to various European players.

- where a player lives during a season?

With billets. Families volunteer to put the kids up for their time in junior.

- how teams travel to road games (bus/airplane)?

Well the WHL is bus only so I'd imagine the other leagues are as well.

- does players also go to school?

Yes. At least the ones who haven't graduated do.

- do they get paid for playing and if they do, what's a typical salary?

Well, they get paid some money, but its not much. Somebody will be able to tell you the exact amount, but its only like $50-$100 IIRC but its meant for food and gas and such. These guys eat alot, the billets can't be expected to buy everything.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
The Bantam Draft (or the Priority Draft. They're all different names for the same thing). Basically 14/15 year olds across the country get drafted by the junior leagues which represent their region (BC/AB/SK/MB for the WHL, Ontario for the OHL and Quebec and the Maritimes for the QMJHL). American players can also get drafted but I'm not entirely sure of the zoning. THen there is also the Import Draft where teams draft the rights to various European players.

With billets. Families volunteer to put the kids up for their time in junior.

Well the WHL is bus only so I'd imagine the other leagues are as well.

Yes. At least the ones who haven't graduated do.

Well, they get paid some money, but its not much. Somebody will be able to tell you the exact amount, but its only like $50-$100 IIRC but its meant for food and gas and such. These guys eat alot, the billets can't be expected to buy everything.

The money depends on who you are(well not the low end, they all get what you describe). But if a good player is weighing options, it's not unheard of for the junior teams(at least those that can) to try to entice.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The money depends on who you are(well not the low end, they all get what you describe). But if a good player is weighing options, it's not unheard of for the junior teams(at least those that can) to try to entice.

Well that I was unaware of, but I'm sure it happens (whether legal or not). Especially in the OHL where it seems alot of players hint at the NCAA.

It is also important to point out that every season a player spends in the CHL, a year of university is paid for them (Canadian university anyway). That is why the CIS is packed full of ex-CHLers. Though I think that is for players who don't go on to sign a pro-contract somewhere.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
Does somebody know...

- how many games does an NHL referee officiate in a season?
- what's their salary?
- what's their schedule, ie. do they have a road trip of 8 games in two weeks followed by a week of rest?
- does two referees work together most of the season or do they have several "partners" to work with?
- does a single referee only officiate in one conference?

-I believe their contract is between 70-80 games.

-Anywhere from $90k to $250k per season.

-Week of rest? Doubtful. Schedules are released monthly to the officials.

-Two referees might do a couple games in a row (IE: Friday in Anaheim, Saturday in LA), but as an official, you have to be able to work with everybody on the roster.

-No. All officials travel the entire league. That said, I believe linesmen may travel a bit less and are a bit more regionalized, but referees go everywhere.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Well that I was unaware of, but I'm sure it happens (whether legal or not). Especially in the OHL where it seems alot of players hint at the NCAA.

It is also important to point out that every season a player spends in the CHL, a year of university is paid for them (Canadian university anyway). That is why the CIS is packed full of ex-CHLers. Though I think that is for players who don't go on to sign a pro-contract somewhere.

This is true. The guys who could sign a big pro contract get a lot more to come play for the junior team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00