A few noob questions from a beginner

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
New Question

ARGH!!!!

I just found out that the 3 on 3 league im going to is open to all levels. Not only beginners. The coordinator says that although its just "for fun" it is still mostly filled with AA and AAA players. Should I still go? Opinions anyone?

I should probably post this on a new thread or something, but do any of you guys know a good place to play around the Vancouver B.C area? Minor hockey is closed for the season so i need a place with summer leagues.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
You can try to contact one of the captains (in the division you want to play in) to see if you can be a sub for a particular team? There are always going to be guys that cannot make it to a particular game. You can also try contacting the person in charge of the adult league to see if they have a free agent list to put your name on it.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
You can try to contact one of the captains (in the division you want to play in) to see if you can be a sub for a particular team? There are always going to be guys that cannot make it to a particular game. You can also try contacting the person in charge of the adult league to see if they have a free agent list to put your name on it.

Hi southpaw,

I wish it were like that. Its actually a midget leauge (not adult) and you have to pay 150 for 10 games. No subbing in for one game. It would be so much easier to decide if it were like that.

Right now i have to pay 150 and probably another 200 investing in hockey gear.

Speaking of which:

New Question

Do any of you guys know where to get cheap hockey gear? all my local stores are selling them for pretty expensive. Im looking online, but im not sure which sites have the cheapest prices. I've looked at hockeymonkey and hockeygiant so far. Any suggestions?

trtaylor

May 5, 2010
Do any of you guys know where to get cheap hockey gear? all my local stores are selling them for pretty expensive. Im looking online, but im not sure which sites have the cheapest prices. I've looked at hockeymonkey and hockeygiant so far. Any suggestions?

Support your lhs. Different brands of gear fit differently. Buying on line will be a crap shoot for you.

Do some calling around. Some of the pro shops are running end of season sales. One shop near me is 50% off everything in stock right now.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Support your lhs. Different brands of gear fit differently. Buying on line will be a crap shoot for you.

Do some calling around. Some of the pro shops are running end of season sales. One shop near me is 50% off everything in stock right now.

When generally do hockey stores have those big "end of season sales"? My local sports stores are still at full price. If I am going to sign up i need gear by the 19th.

Local sports stores around me are: cyclone taylor, sportschek, sportmart, canadian tire. Any idea when hockey gear goes on sale there? I've tried calling and they've said that it usually happens anytime.... and then some sales talk trying to get me to go to the store.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Hi southpaw,

I wish it were like that. Its actually a midget leauge (not adult) and you have to pay 150 for 10 games. No subbing in for one game. It would be so much easier to decide if it were like that.

Right now i have to pay 150 and probably another 200 investing in hockey gear.

Speaking of which:

New Question

Play It Again Sports by a hockey rink. Not only did I find one that pretty much qualifies as a LHS, but I picked up shin guards, ice hockey pants, (later a shell), elbow pads, and all of my skate sharpenings & stick adjustments there.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010

So do you guys think that buying online is risky?

I was thinking that I would prbly go to my local sports chek buy one or two items but test out the rest of my gear and buy online.

Does that sound rude of me though? lol

Buying online will save me about 100 bucks and I'll end up getting much more quality stuff.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Good old white long johns and a wife beater under the equipment works good.

After you get your skates and socks on, I would recommend taping your ankles heavily with clear sock tape (wrap from the skate tounge around the back of the boot and back to the tounge tightly, and do so numerous times). The weakest part of the body for a new skater is usually the ankles. The tape will help you turn tighter with less wobbles, and it will also give you some added protection when twists and ankle strains occur.

Last edited:

Ulic

Mar 5, 2007
Washington
6. Will it roller blading make my ice skating worse?
No. Skating, no matter what skating it is, will improve your ability on ice. You should be skating as much as you can. If you can roller blade well, you can ice skate well. There is a transition phase, but it is much quicker to learn to transition from roller to ice than to learn how to skate solely on ice.
Plus, by skating you will be improving your balance, strength, quickness, and endurance. If you can roller blade with a stick and practice handling a ball, even better. Once again, a ball isn't the same as a puck and there will be a transition phase but you are gaining invaluable hand eye coordination while skating.
Anything you do off ice will improve your game more rapidly than sticking just to ice. Do you think NHL players developed great shots from ice time alone? Shooting pucks off a concrete floor in the basement isn't the same as shooting off ice, but your shot improves regardless.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
If you can roller blade with a stick and practice handling a ball, even better. Once again, a ball isn't the same as a puck and there will be a transition phase but you are gaining invaluable hand eye coordination while skating.

I've been looking a the "super ball". Is it good?

Any other off ice training tips you guys might have?

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all:

Well, if you read my other thread you understand that I am going to start playing in a 3 on 3 hockey league during the summer :).

I have a few newbie questions:

1. What do I wear underneath all that equipment? How do you get "dressed"?

Full hockey equipment isn't required for the stick and puck sessions I go to so I not much people really get "dressed" for hockey (and plus I wouldn't watch guys change). I don't really know how to get dressed for hockey.... can you wear a regular t-shirt and shorts underneath?

Also, what is the standard "procedure" to put on hockey equipment?

2. What should I do to please/not annoy the coach and players?

I've played enough street hockey to know that nobody likes a ball hog. But what other things should I not/do to please the coach and players? Other then the obvious things like skate hard and never stop working....

The last thing I want is for the coaches and other players to be annoyed at me.

3. Should I just get rid of the puck the first few games?

Because I'm a beginner, I'm afraid I'll make a completely bone-headed play. Should I just pass the puck to people and just stay under the radar for the first few games?

4. For line changes, is it totally noobish if you use the door instead of just climbing over the boards? :laugh:

5. I'm playing 3 on 3, is there anything different I should do from playing 5 on 5? What differences should I expect?

I was planning to practice skating forwards and backwards (not turning or stopping) on roller skates on days I can't get to the ice. Even though I won't be practicing turns I was hoping that forwards and backwards skating would translate on the ice (making my stride more powerful, smoother etc.)

Is this a bad idea?

7. Do any of you know any good dvds, books, websites, threads that can help with my shooting, passing, skating, general hockey sense?

That's all the questions I have for now, but I'm sure I'll think of something later on. Any answers would be really helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Hi again guys,

Okay now I've got a problem. A friend of a friend said that he tried out 3 on 3 and it was MURDER. He apparently puked on the first day.

Now I have an option of playing 5 on 5. What would you recommend for a beginner?

EDIT: May 20, 2010

New question:

ARGH!!!!

I just found out that the 3 on 3 league im going to is open to all levels. Not only beginners. The coordinator says that although its just "for fun" it is still mostly filled with AA and AAA players. Should I still go? Opinions anyone?

I should probably post this on a new thread or something, but do any of you guys know a good place to play around the Vancouver B.C area? Minor hockey is closed for the season so i need a place with summer leagues.

Ok, heres how i put my gear on,

Jock
Shin guards
socks
pants
skates
elbows
sholders
jersey
helmet
gloves
stick

Now, i wear a regular t shirt under it, and use my jock in raplace of boxers.

To please your coach, ASK A FEW Q'S. And work on what your bad at, not what your good at. Never Cuss.

Pass 1st, and if nobody is open infront of you, skate the puck in. do this every game.

3v3 is all about going to the open ice. just spread out, and youll be fine.

ROLLER BLADING WILL MAKE YOUR ICE SKATING BETTER keep rollering

For a website, in this section of the Boards click on the one "Improving bad slap shot tecnique" and go to that website. It helps, but i forgot the name :shakehead

NOW: DO THE 3V3 INSTED OF 5V5
3v3 is the BEST thing for a beginer, its fun, and helps your fundementals first. DO THE 3V3

Still do 3v3 if theirs AA and AAA guys, playing with better players makes you better, and they can help you.

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've been looking a the "super ball". Is it good?

Any other off ice training tips you guys might have?

What i do, is in my garage (The concreat in your garage is PERFECT)
I use a wooden ice stick (Buy a nice cheep $10-$25 one)
and a roller hockey puck, and shoot them into a net with my roller skates and gloves on.

It helps alot, the concreat in garages is nice and smooth unlike the street so your stick doesnt get ruined.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Playing with those better players will no doubt be very huge for your improvement. I have found that hockey players are probably the nicest when it comes to beginners. As long as you can skate forward you shouldn't be annoying them, they will probably give you all the advice you need.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Socks
Pants
Skates (easier for me to get tight without those shin pads in the way)
Shin Pads
Tape
Shoulder
Elbow
Jersey
Gloves
Warm up until they yell at me about the helmet, and viola, all ready to go.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Socks
Pants
Shin Pads
Tape
Shoulder
Elbow
Jersey
Gloves

warming up without a helmet, keep your head up, i wouldn't recommend any newbies doing this.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd give an update.

I finally came to the decision to sign up for 3 on 3 today.

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
Congratulations:yo: Have a great time playing; it will be a great learning experience to say the least. Just remember to have fun, keep your shifts short and keep your head up:)

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
warming up without a helmet, keep your head up, i wouldn't recommend any newbies doing this.

Hahaha, I'm kidding...I'll skate around without it before they throw the pucks out, but I always have my helmet on when people start shooting them.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Hahaha, I'm kidding...I'll skate around without it before they throw the pucks out, but I always have my helmet on when people start shooting them.

I'm glad you put it on once the shooting begins, in Canada, I think most if not all rinks would kick you off the ice if you don't have your helmet on. In Alberta, coaches have to wear helmets for minor hockey. But they let the little figure skating girls bounce around without them. Sorry for the rant.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
New Question

Well this league I'm playing in is a no checking league, my question is:
Does this mean that I shouldn't "play the body" and just play the puck?

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
As long as you don't hit/check somebody you should be fine. You can use your body as leverage and force opposing players aways with your body, just don't lower your shoulder or shove anyone. Thats my interpretation of it

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
New Question

Well this league I'm playing in is a no checking league, my question is:
Does this mean that I shouldn't "play the body" and just play the puck?

You should always play the body, no checking doesn't mean no contact. I play forward in a beginner hockey league, but most of the defensemen in that league are C leaguers. I can handle the sticks, but nothing pisses me off more than a big body blocking me off the puck. They get position, and your options as a forward are to collide with them or get rid of the puck and chase.

FrozenHeat21

May 26, 2010
1. I wear Under Armour under my gear.
-Under Armour Top/Pants
-Jock
-Jock
-Socks
-Skates
-Shin pads
-Tape around socks/shine pads
-Pants
-Elbow pads
-Shoulder pads
-Jersey (tuck my left side)
-Helmet
-Gloves

2. I am sure they will know that you are a beginner so make friends with a guy that is a bit more skilled and explain to him your situation. Ask coach a lot of questions on and off the ice/tile...

3. No...well yea...maybe...depends on the situation...one rule of thumb my first coach taught me was "take what they give you - don't get rid of the puck unless you feel pressure." Now obviously that is not always the case...but I am a Defensemen with pretty puck handling ability so I do give it up until I have to or I see an opportunity for a break out or a goal for my teammates...it all depends

4. Yes...learn how to climb over the boards....it's not as hard as it looks

5. Never Played 3 on 3

6. I have played Ice Hockey for 20 years and roller for about 10 and I have seen no difference

7. Youtube has alot...but you better off finding someone who has played for a while and is good and ask them for help....head to the rink and learn first hand

Buying Gear: Try Scherer Hockey (online) my buddy owns the place and they are pretty reasonable. Hockey Monkey and Discount Hockey online as well

Body/Puck: (When defending a player with the puck) YOU ALWAYS PLAY THE BODY!!! If you stare at the puck....you won't have much to look at because they will skate around u in a second. No Checks does not me NO CONTACT...check the rules for light "bumps" and a good rule of thumb...always look in the crest or logo of the guy in front of you and you can't go wrong....what I do is..."3 seconds looking at logo, 1/2 second quick glance at the puck puck"...and repeat until the play is finished...in a non contact league your stick checking ability will be key.....I hope I was helpful

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Socks
Pants
Shin Pads
Tape
Shoulder
Elbow
Jersey
Gloves

1. I wear Under Armour under my gear.
-Under Armour Top/Pants
-Jock
-Jock
-Socks
-Skates
-Shin pads
-Tape around socks/shine pads
-Pants
-Elbow pads
-Shoulder pads
-Jersey (tuck my left side)
-Helmet
-Gloves.

You guys put your socks on before your shin guards...... Umm how is that possible?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad