A Few Changes to Encourage Trading

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I would like to see more trades. I think the biggest problem is that GMs are so terrified of 'losing' a trade that they never pull the trigger.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To the first one, the CBA specifically forbids trading a player away, then trading for him back with retained salary within a year. That means they have specifically thought of the scenario where a team would use that maneuver in order to simply trade salary for some kind of incentive, and said to themselves "no, that's not right, that's not something we want, we can't allow it." So I don't see that happening.

As to why, I believe it is because it is risky to have the possibility of trades where one team literally loses nothing. I believe the league seeks to make sure that in any trade, each team must be giving something up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Allowing cash to be traded would be good.

Toronto trying to make a deal with say, Arizona, and Arizona is on the fence? Hey, we’ll toss in 1M in cash

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Same contract rules exist. NMC's and NTC's are standard on high end contracts anyways. So it i would be par for course?
I guess i see it a bit differently - a long term contract (without NMC/NTC) where a player gets traded is one thing. They get moved with the expectation (usually) that they will be sticking around for a while, not moved right back in a few months. That's the sticking point to me - that a player with a long term contract can be moved back and forth so quickly (e.g. just being sold for one playoffs). At the end of the day these are not lifeless assets, but real people that have families/homes. Obviously moving around comes with the territory, but such rapid moves are one of the things I would think a player is hoping to avoid if they sign a long term contract (otherwise, why on earth would would a player bother signing long term without a full NMC/NTC over the entire term of the contract). Just my two cents I suppose.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
How about the max contract length is one day so every player has to resign with their team each day and can move to another team at any point imagine all the movement around the league wooooowww

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As a hockey fan, I'd enjoy that.
When I was 13 so would have I. Seeing the same 20 superstars in the playoffs every year while likely on different teams every year would be the dumbest thing ever.

This idea is right up there with having a post season tournament to decide who gets first overall pick for worst ideas.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Just trade the player not the contract;

Whatever contract they were on gets wiped and they sign a new one with the new team.

Then it’s just value vs value.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I’d say no to 1, big no to 2, unsure about 3.

2 intrigued me, but the more I thought about it, I realized it would be a total disaster. So let’s say the Oilers miss the playoffs again. They trade McDavid to WPG and he wins a cup in a 2 month stint with the Jets. Doesn’t that cheapen the value of winning the cup?

Another issue is it creates a system where the teams out of the playoffs have an incentive to trade every player on their roster. There’s literally no disadvantages to trading a player (except maybe the frustration of seeing that player win a cup elsewhere?). If they were to do this, they’d have to put a limit on number of rentals you could trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've always thought teams should be able to trade cap space directly as an asset, but not necessarily like salary retention.

For example, Team A trades Team B $1,000,000 in cap space, and it costs a percentage of that cap space in real dollars, putting luxury tax money directly into the hands of Team A, plus a negotiated return or a schedule of picks associated, so instead of trading Datsyuk to Arizona, Detroit could have bought the cap space from the Coyotes, but paid out real dollars which would have gone back into Arizona's spending budget.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I’d say no to 1, big no to 2, unsure about 3.

2 intrigued me, but the more I thought about it, I realized it would be a total disaster. So let’s say the Oilers miss the playoffs again. They trade McDavid to WPG and he wins a cup in a 2 month stint with the Jets. Doesn’t that cheapen the value of winning the cup?

Another issue is it creates a system where the teams out of the playoffs have an incentive to trade every player on their roster. There’s literally no disadvantages to trading a player (except maybe the frustration of seeing that player win a cup elsewhere?). If they were to do this, they’d have to put a limit on number of rentals you could trade.
I think there would be rules, salary cap, and roster limits, if anything were to happen like this.

It would be more of a stipulation to a trade than just trading rentals. Just gives teams more options. Gives the lower teams more chances to sell assets. Gives playoff teams more ability to beef up. I know there's people against this, but at least for star players, their NMC's give them power. They don't have to agree to being a rental.

Anyways, I'm just spitballing here. It's freakin' the end of June here. Not like any real hockey happens for months, so just creating a topic. Thanks for those that even if they are against these ideas actually provide substance to their responses.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Don't touch the salary cap. This is a hard cap league. Selling off space so the rich get richer and the poor can stay poor is so very dumb.

But the point of the Salary cap was to provide a fair split between players and owners so the league can stay healthy. As long as the split and total value is the same, salary traded within the system will remain 'neutral' to the overall cap, and thus, health of the league. The cap was *NOT* intended to "stop rich teams from being rich"

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Point #2 is one of the dumbest ideas. I can only imagine a McDavid being involved in this scenario and suffering a career ending injury while playing for his rental team. How would Edmonton be compensated for that?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
But the point of the Salary cap was to provide a fair split between players and owners so the league can stay healthy. As long as the split and total value is the same, salary traded within the system will remain 'neutral' to the overall cap, and thus, health of the league. The cap was *NOT* intended to "stop rich teams from being rich"

I thought the Salary Cap was put in place so ALL teams had a chance. I.E. Toronto buying up every player because they can over pay for them if necessary is not fair to the other teams in the league thus hurting the product, thus hurting the league.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Allowing cash to be traded would be good.

Toronto trying to make a deal with say, Arizona, and Arizona is on the fence? Hey, we’ll toss in 1M in cash

No pls, Gretzky was bought this way, and Karlsson would already be gone for a 2029 7th + 40mil in cash because Melnyk is broke.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't agree that more trades are better. Sure, they're fun to read about and we don't really care if a star player is shipped out of a city that isn't our favorite team but that doesn't make it good for the league. In my opinion, the reason we don't see as many rivalries in the NHL today is because there is so much turnover in rosters whether it's from trades or free agency. I'm all for building from within and keeping teams together but the salary cap has made it almost impossible. Think about the Flyers/Pens rivalry that was insane a few years back. That once awesome rivalry was boring in this years playoffs because between both rosters there are only like 6-7 players left from the crazy 2012 series. We're talking 6-7 players total out of 45-50 just 5-6 years ago.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
To make the league more fluid all you need to do is:

1) Implement "Buy-Outs" option for teams (essentially getting rid of guaranteed contracts)
2) Allow teams to exceed the cap by "X" percentage when making a trade (for a period of time)

You will see a lot more movement.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Mandate that teams must trade at least 3 players every year with a minimum of one player during the season, one during the draft and one after the draft before the season.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Being able to trade cap without the player just seems like a way to circumvent questionable contract signings.

Here, I'll trade you 5 million of Milan Lucic while retaining the services of a guy who will probably once again revert back to his 50 point self for a million, and completely negating all consequence of handing out such a stupid contract.

I don't like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad