a few Bauer skate questions...

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I've skated in CCM tacks the past three years and they were ok. I got fitted for a wider foot althought honestly I don't think I need a boot that wide. I have never really felt fully comfortable in them. I tore ligaments in my ankle about ten years ago and ever since I've been skating in these my ankle has felt awkward a bit. Not sure if it was just the sizing of the skate or not. I've had constant blisters as well and like I've said I've had these for little a little while and the holder is breaking, haven't been real happy with the hold up of the skates. What I'm currently looking at are the Bauer skates. I've seen some good deals on the vapors xxxx and bauer supreme 75. I would like a lighter skate since my Tacks seem to be quite heavy and wet by the end of a game. What are the pros and cons on the XXXX and the supremes? I actually could probably fit in a junior size and would like to take advantage of that in the bauer skates. My wife has a pair of low end vapors just to skate in and a size five has my toe just touching the toe cap. I would obviously get fitted,but I really just need to get a skate that fits right and is light and will provide solid ankle support. I've read a bit about the vapor xxv and the description had them listed for an intermediate player, which I am. Would the Vapor XXXX be too nice of a skate for someone like me? They seem to be for advanced players and I'm not advanced. Just decent. Don't want to get high end if they will only hurt me. Sorry these is so long winded ,but here is a brief summary..lol
1. What is the difference between vapor xxxx and supreme one 75?
2. Looking for a light skate and have had problems with an ankle...nothing too serious,but it does bother me after games...
3. Should the toe cap on the skate touch my toe? Or is that a tad too tight?
4. I'm an intermediate player would the vapor xxxx be too advanced of a skate for me and should I then look at the vapor xxv?
Thanks for the help

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
i cant answer all of your questions but i can some

the vapors run a little more narrow than the supremes and if you are an intermediate player, i would go with the XXV over the XXXX, ive ready very very good things about the XXVs. i wouldnt have your toe touch the cap too much. if it does, very slighty

you could always get a wider boot than the narrower one, ie get the EE over the D

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
i cant answer all of your questions but i can some

the vapors run a little more narrow than the supremes and if you are an intermediate player, i would go with the XXV over the XXXX, ive ready very very good things about the XXVs. i wouldnt have your toe touch the cap too much. if it does, very slighty

you could always get a wider boot than the narrower one, ie get the EE over the D

Thanks for the info...I never skated in a wider boot until now...and I never had problems with the width of the skate...I just think the guy didn't know what he was doing... Why would go with the xxv over the xxxx? Thanks

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
Thanks for the info...I never skated in a wider boot until now...and I never had problems with the width of the skate...I just think the guy didn't know what he was doing... Why would go with the xxv over the xxxx? Thanks

well you said you are an intermediate player so the xxxx are for elite level of play because of teh way they are made. you probably wont notice a huge difference in the two skates. ive read alot of great things about the XXVs. from what ive heard the only real difference between teh two are the tongue, the liner and some minor cosmetics. the liner is designed on the xxxxs to resist water and transfer it down the boot and out of the skate to keep the skate light, and avoid it from breaking down too quick, im not sure if the XXV is made of the same material, probably some kind of water resistant material but im not sure if its the same. the bottome line is if you arent playing like 5 times a week its probably not worth it

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
The Supremes(minus one75) fit wider and deeper than the Vapors. The one75 is a low volume skate that is narrower than the rest of the Supremes.

Both are pretty high cut boots, that may help with your ankle if support is needed.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Try them on. The big difference in them is the fit. Both will perform similarly.

As for the width issue, do your feet shift in the skate? Side to side, front to back? If the first, your skate may indeed be too wide. If the second, you're wearing a boot that's too big for you and you need to remeasure everything.

With the blisters issue, do you wear socks? If so, what kind of socks do you wear? And when you say that you never felt that comfortable in the tacks, what does that mean? Was the arch in the wrong place? Too high an arch? Too low?

xstartxtodayx

Dec 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
The Supremes(minus one75) fit wider and deeper than the Vapors. The one75 is a low volume skate that is narrower than the rest of the Supremes.

Both are pretty high cut boots, that may help with your ankle if support is needed.

That clears up my confusion... I tried on skates last week and will be getting the One75 this Friday, I found it fit me perfectly and had a great heel lock for me, where as the Vapor XXXX felt atleast twice as wide in any size I tried. I've been seeing members saying the Vapors are a bit narrower than the Supremes and have been dumbfounded up until this last comment... thanks for clearing it up and convincing me I'm not insane.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Try them on. The big difference in them is the fit. Both will perform similarly.

As for the width issue, do your feet shift in the skate? Side to side, front to back? If the first, your skate may indeed be too wide. If the second, you're wearing a boot that's too big for you and you need to remeasure everything.

With the blisters issue, do you wear socks? If so, what kind of socks do you wear? And when you say that you never felt that comfortable in the tacks, what does that mean? Was the arch in the wrong place? Too high an arch? Too low?

I've felt more uncomfortable side to side,but I've wondered at times if I should have a size smaller. Should the toe touch the front of the toe cap?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I've felt more uncomfortable side to side,but I've wondered at times if I should have a size smaller. Should the toe touch the front of the toe cap?

The toe should touch the toe cap when you slide the foot forward a little when unlaced. It should be damn close while skating, but not quite touching.

And define uncomfortable side to side. Is there pressure in odd places or are you lacking support in places? Rubbing?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
And you're in tacks. My guess would be that you need a boot with a higher instep. Vapors should help with that, or CCM vectors, and I'm not sure about the Supreme line. You'll probalby want to stay away from RBK or Easton.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Thanks... are the 75's as narrow as the vapors?

Depends on who you ask. The biggest problem with them is the depth/volume(from the bottom of the foot to the top and from the heel to the front of the ankle). You need a really slim foot/ankle to fit in them. The Vapors fit me decently, I couldn't get my foot in a one90 which was the original version of the one75. The one95 fits me near perfect.

raganblink

Feb 8, 2006
Mexico
If you can wait wait until the Vapor X: line comes out and get 40s for as cheap as theyll get, which would be about 300-350.

However if you see Vapors that cheap, take them when you can.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
My wife has a low end vapor skate...cost her about 60 to 70 and the fit was good. Would these fit the same throughout the vapor series or does each new generation have a different fit?

The old vapor series fit differently than the current vapor series in the toe area. The new series is supposed to return to the old fit but I have yet to try a pair on so I'm not going to give you a definitive answer.

In the vapor line, all skates in the same series fit alike. Differences are in stiffness and materials.

xstartxtodayx

Dec 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
If you can wait wait until the Vapor X: line comes out and get 40s for as cheap as theyll get, which would be about 300-350.

However if you see Vapors that cheap, take them when you can.

The Vapor XXXX's are now $399 at most places online and there's plenty of stock on them, I think that's a pretty sweet deal, I wish the One95's were down that low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad