Seravalli: A couple of teams have discussed about trading for JT Miller/ 0 interest on Tyler Myers, Myers also doesnt want to waive

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina:

Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Scott Morrow
Alexander Nikishin
2023 1st rounder
2024 2nd rounder becomes 1st if Carolina makes the conference finals in the next two seasons.

for

Vancouver:

JT Miller
Brock Boeser
Jack Rathbone
Nils Hoglander

Should work for both teams.
That's horrible for Carolina.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Looking at what’s likely to be available in UFA it’s no surprise teams may be looking to trade for Miller. After Pasta/Larkin who both likely stay with their respective clubs it’s a pretty barren UFA market. No way Miller wouldn’t get the contract he signed as a free agent this offseason.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Carolina:

Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Scott Morrow
Alexander Nikishin
2023 1st rounder
2024 2nd rounder becomes 1st if Carolina makes the conference finals in the next two seasons.

for

Vancouver:

JT Miller
Brock Boeser
Jack Rathbone
Nils Hoglander

Carolina:

Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Scott Morrow
Alexander Nikishin
2023 1st rounder

for

Vancouver:

JT Miller
Brock Boeser
Jack Rathbone
Nils Hoglander

It’s too early in the morning for me to be in the right frame of mind to even rationalize this post.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Canucks are screwed if they trade Miller, no?

What center depth do they have
If Miller is traded there will almost certainly be a Young C or D coming back as the return.

I guess we could try Podz at C has he has all the attribuates of a C.

IE if its Carolina I would be Kotkaniemi/Drury, Morrow/Nishkinen. Its a high ask but your getting a top 20 scorer and play driver in the league for the past 3 seasons doesnt come at a cheap price

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yea, something like KK, Morrow/Nikishin and conditonal 2nd for Miller would be more likely.
I wouldn't even do that. That contract is an anchor. The Canes have gotten where they are by shrewdly avoiding contracts like that while the rest of the NHL FOs hand them out like candy.

Don't want Miller.

Reactions: TooMuchMan

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Yea, something like KK, Morrow/Nikishin and conditonal 2nd for Miller would be more likely.
Vancouver would be looking at Heimosalmi or Honka. There is no incentive for Carolina to give up A-level prospects for a bad contract.

Drury + Heimosalmi + conditional 2nd

A fancier version of the Pacioretty for nothing deal. Assuming Carolina would stomach that contract, which is the opposite of everything they have built thus far.

• Haha
Reactions: EP to Kuzmenko

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Not a fair trade? IMO the Canes wouldn’t do that deal.
Cup contenders would likely prefer the ppg player over a struggling 5m young C... it all comes down to the players age difference and cap hit obviously but 5m for a guy likely not to hit 40 points ain't great cap hit to production ratio!

Maybe JK can turn it around and be a #2C as soon as next year but it doesn't look like he is able to provide that for them now. Canes should look too ad a decent C if possible but my guess is they go for P. Kane or Meier instead

That's horrible for Carolina.
No kidding, that is why its posted on a hockey forum and not a trade that will actually happen...outside of NHL 23 maybe even then I dunno!

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If Miller is traded there will almost certainly be a Young C or D coming back as the return.

I guess we could try Podz at C has he has all the attribuates of a C.

IE if its Carolina I would be Kotkaniemi/Drury, Morrow/Nishkinen. Its a high ask but your getting a top 20 scorer and play driver in the league for the past 3 seasons doesnt come at a cheap price
Podz does play a game you would think suits the C position. How often has a drafted winger been converted to a C at the highest level though...I have no clue, I know I would always select C's in a draft as they can transition to wing if need be compared to a winger going to C is much harder to do.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I wouldn't even do that. That contract is an anchor. The Canes have gotten where they are by shrewdly avoiding contracts like that while the rest of the NHL FOs hand them out like candy.

Don't want Miller.
I know where your coming from but consider this...

A) What have the Canes accomplished recently, they haven't got over the playoff hump and all their younger players on good contracts is coming up soon.

B) A player versatile like JT who can play C and is darn good at faceoffs but can also slide over to the wing if need be. Sure he is signed long term, but he has played at OVER a ppg the last 4 years, that is a pretty solid player a playoff team and hopeful Stanley Cup contender could add to their team.

C) JT has 4 years of full NTC protection, in thos 4 years I would bet JT puts up 70pts minimum in each of those years. Even if he tapers off as he ages I still see him capable of at least 60pts due to his prodcutivity and usefulness on a PP unit. That is underrated imo that is why Canucks kept JT over Bo imo, Bo is a scorer who doesn't use his linemates as well as you would like a higher paid C to imo.

D) Canes can take a flyer on Monahan I suppose as a rental #2C option, but would they consider a Boeser or Garland trade from Vancouver as well to fill the void lost by Pacorietty. Those 2 players will cost less than P. Kane, Meier. Could also see Carolina adding a Monahan if healthy and say a Barbashev from the Blues instead

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Cup contenders would likely prefer the ppg player over a struggling 5m young C... it all comes down to the players age difference and cap hit obviously but 5m for a guy likely not to hit 40 points ain't great cap hit to production ratio!

Maybe JK can turn it around and be a #2C as soon as next year but it doesn't look like he is able to provide that for them now. Canes should look too ad a decent C if possible but my guess is they go for P. Kane or Meier instead

No kidding, that is why its posted on a hockey forum and not a trade that will actually happen...outside of NHL 23 maybe even then I dunno!
Since December 1, Kotkaniemi has scored 19 points in 32 games, a 48 point pace over 40% of a season. He had a terrible start to the year, but he's finding ways to contribute on both ends of the ice and it's been turning into points as well.

And the question isn't just whether Miller would help this year, it's whether Miller helping this year is worth messing up the long-term planning for the franchise.

Trading for a rental and maintaining flexibility for your own players makes more sense than taking on an $8M cap hit for a player from age 30-37. Especially at the player costs listed here.

Henrique is another possibility for 2C who would be signed through next year and not break the bank in terms of assets.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Don't want Miller.
I agree with the bolded but the KK contract is a much heavier anchor than Miller's. You may not want him but his deal is roses compared to KK's. You guys bet on KK but lost that wager.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Overheard conversation of one of the teams

New intern. - “Hey, what about JT Miller? I have him in my hockey pool and he seems ok”

Everyone else “Hell no!”

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I agree with the bolded but the KK contract is a much heavier anchor than Miller's. You may not want him but his deal is roses compared to KK's. You guys bet on KK but lost that wager.
KK is playing at a 58 point pace over his past 24 games. Point per game over the last 8 with some big goals. He had a brutal start but is actually looking pretty good recently. Using his size and range with confidence.

Bigger players take time to develop. Kotkaniemi is 22. Maybe Carolina's management knows what they are doing?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
KK is playing at a 58 point pace over his past 24 games. Point per game over the last 8 with some big goals. He had a brutal start but is actually looking pretty good recently. Using his size and range with confidence.

Bigger players take time to develop. Kotkaniemi is 22. Maybe Carolina's management knows what they are doing?
Pace means squat maybe they know maybe they don't either way just our opinions here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Being posted on a hockey forum doesn't excuse how horrible the proposal is. There are gobs of proposals on this forum that aren't anywhere near that bad.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

Don't want Miller.
The irony of this statement when the Canes signed KK to a 8 year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad