A couple of interesting stats

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think you missed my point.

I was simply saying that the problem of the fourth line shouldn't be dismissed (I think it was another poster who said this and wanted to shift the focus to Smith).

But, if you really do want my opinion on some of the real problems (not sure this is the thread, but OK):

1. CJ's inability to shift his system based on who the opponent is. We don't have the ability to simply beat MTL into the ground anymore so we have to match their aggressive offensive game by beating them back with forward puck movement ourselves. This starts with employing a forecheck (which we didn't last night) and being more creative in passing out of the D zone. I understand Miller and McQ aren't born and bred PMD's, but they could at least be told something other than "pin it up against the boards and throw it up the wall". The simplistic, systematic ******** that has been completely nullified by the Habs' awareness has got to go or at least be largely adjusted.

2. David Krejci, the 1C, not playing with nearly enough urgency. Again, not gifted with great wheels, but it seems as if he doesn't even attempt to get his feet moving sometimes. "Slowing the play down" is not always the best play and you have to adapt based on the pace of the game and the opponent.

3. The fourth line with no identity whatsoever. Campbell and Paille bring neither goals, physicality, particularly good D (except as PK'ers), fighting/intimidation ability, speed (Paille will just trip over himself)...anything, really.

4. Reilly Smith not really finding any place to fit in. The kid has some skills, but he is one player who could really benefit from making the "smart play".

5. This isn't a big one, but it lines up with the D not moving the puck at all, but Tuukka Rask's poor play with the puck. It's certainly something that is a total non-factor when the rest of the team is playing well, but putting a puck in on Rask generally means either a rebound or an offensive zone faceoff. Granted, this really isn't all on Rask (truly might be less than 1/2 on him) and rather on the D and coaches to find a way to make plays out of the zone once Rask has the puck on his stick.

There are plenty more, but I'm actually supposed to be working right now :laugh:

Thanks for answering my question.

Not that I agree with much of it, but I now see where you are coming from.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
So you seriously think you see things in the game that the coaching staff doesn't?
I watched the game and they were not dumpiing the puck deep and getting in on top of Montreal defence.The habs Defence had a picnic.When Boston pulled goalie they still could not get puck deep.It reminded me of a tug of war with all the power by the front of the hole.No anchor.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So you seriously think you see things in the game that the coaching staff doesn't?

If we hadn't seen their performance against MTL the past couple of years I would answer this question: no.

But, I'm tempted to answer yes, however crazy that sounds.

I wouldn't be surprised that this coaching staff is way too "system obsessed" and does not make alterations for fear that it will disrupt the integrity of the holy system.

I know it's crazy to even assert that posters on a hockey board would make observations that a professional coaching staff wouldn't, but when you see the same problems game after game against the same team, you can't help but wonder.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Thanks for answering my question.

Not that I agree with much of it, but I now see where you are coming from.

I respect your difference of opinion, but given that I spent all this time answering your question, it would be nice if you could point out where it is that you disagree and what your thoughts are on what I said.

If you don't want to take the time, that's fine. But, as I said, would be nice.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If we hadn't seen their performance against MTL the past couple of years I would answer this question: no.

But, I'm tempted to answer yes, however crazy that sounds.

I wouldn't be surprised that this coaching staff is way too "system obsessed" and does not make alterations for fear that it will disrupt the integrity of the holy system.

I know it's crazy to even assert that posters on a hockey board would make observations that a professional coaching staff wouldn't, but when you see the same problems game after game against the same team, you can't help but wonder.

Shameful game plan..Habs totally outclassed them.I agree with your post.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I respect your difference of opinion, but given that I spent all this time answering your question, it would be nice if you could point out where it is that you disagree and what your thoughts are on what I said.

If you don't want to take the time, that's fine. But, as I said, would be nice.

See Bartkowski thread.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
God. I ****ing hate these garbage posts.

Hate to burst your bubble, but when you have a coach that is insistent on rolling four lines and randomly promotes fourth liners to big spots on the top line late in games and as the extra attacker, you've got something pretty important.

But yeah...Smith. Let's talk about what you want instead. As if the Reilly Smith topic has randomly been ignored around here.

The ****ing agendas...

Why don't we turn this into a thread about how the refs and the league have "ruined the Bruins" while we're into avoiding real problems.

:cry:

Nothing but whining from you lately.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
God, just gimme a break. All this time on calling me out for every little semantic thing you can, yet when it's time to formulate a response to a thought-out response of mine, it's "see this thread".

Well done. Really.

You asked me to respond to your well thought out response in 3 different threads. I only responded in one. I guess I wasn't clear enough so I will copy it and place it here just for you.

"I don't like to give my actual opinion much because I'm very sensitive and hate confrontation.

But I guess its only fair that I respond since you answer my request.

The problem is the players are not good enough.

The reasons they are not good enough is the mismanagement of the cap and poor drafting. Can't replace the players they can't afford because they haven't been able draft good enough players. So they are constantly replacing players with lesser players.

That and Chara no longer being Chara."

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You asked me to respond to your well thought out response in 3 different threads. I only responded in one. I guess I wasn't clear enough so I will copy it and place it here just for you.

"I don't like to give my actual opinion much because I'm very sensitive and hate confrontation.

But I guess its only fair that I respond since you answer my request.

The problem is the players are not good enough.

The reasons they are not good enough is the mismanagement of the cap and poor drafting. Can't replace the players they can't afford because they haven't been able draft good enough players. So they are constantly replacing players with lesser players.

That and Chara no longer being Chara."

Good on you for admitting to your sensitivity. I do wonder how you think picking on other people's opinions but not giving your own will "avoid confrontation" but so be it.

I agree with you on Chara no longer being Chara. That's a very good reason in my opinion to not have him on as an extra attacker. We tried the point shot/screen game all night versus the Habs and it was rendered completely ineffective. I don't have a clue why CJ thought that enhancing that gameplan to the max in the final minute with a man advantage was the way to go. I don't see it dude.

I've said this a couple time in past months, but the emphasis on "character" over skill has gone way too overboard at this point. I called that Chara contract as bad the moment it was signed (the second one that is). To me, it was a contract completely made out of a player's commitment historically to a team and his historical gameplay and not at all on his anticipated contribution in the future. I was roasted for it at the time. The fact is you need to have foresight in a cap era. I don't care what any player has done in the past. Signing a defenseman, who has never been overly mobile, to a HUGE contract into his 40's is destined for regret. It's not rocket science. While Kelly may be a useful piece on a team, signing him to a long-term 3 mil contract is ridiculous. It's as if there is a posse and what really matters is adhering to the almighty coach's system, and not a player's true ability. I hate that.

The Seguin trade was sketchy from the start. On Behind the B, we saw the guys saying "I just don't think he's adapting to our system". Okay...well search for an adequate replacement then. The fact that the idea was to sign a "defensive minded forward" plus grab another guy who was apparently a lucky flash in the pan for half a season is absurd. Sometimes, it doesn't seem like it's about the W's and instead it's about "playing it Peter and Claude's way".

I've also said this before, but I have no doubt now: the 2011 Stanley Cup Championship SERIOUSLY went to PC's head. You just don't make that Seguin trade or have the kind of confidence in aging stars (Seids, Chara, Kelly...I know not a star) without an egotistical GM.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I hate that it's perceived as that...but I'm pretty pissed about this team right now.

Sorry if it's annoying...I guess I'm spewing my inner annoyance with this team out onto this board. Again, sorry.

Well, I should say that you have made several good points, too. :nod:
Anyway, it's pretty hard not to be frustrated. The Habs are a pretty decent team but the Bruins should have taken at least one of these four games. On the other hand I really hope that 4 straight losses to a division rival shows Chiarelli that this team isn't getting too far without some moves. I can't see Cam Neely just letting this ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad