News Article: A Conversation with Steve Yzerman (video)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
You guys might be able to better glean from Yzerman's comments than me and it's just general impression he's giving but he seems to be confident about Edvinsson's progress. I remember he was a bit more reserved and cautious on Seider's development, atleast before his SHL stint. Just an observation.
I think he felt cautious about Seider because we had no one to play with him at the time. He is less cautious about Edvinsson because we have legit NHL players to not only play with him, but also protect his ability to develop and not have to rush him into a top 2/4 pairing in his first year. He can develop with 16-18 min/night and not feel like he has to carry the team. But if he earns a top 2/4 pairing, then we simply shift Maata/Chiarot.

If Edvinsson earns the spot, Yzerman has said he will make the appropriate moves (trades/waivers) to keep the player.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Imo, it's kind of right as "billy". "Ville" in finnish comes from "viljami", older finnish, which comes from foreign "william".

And williams are billys?

Yes, but I don't think she was thinking about it that hard. As far as I know, that's not a nickname he uses is it? I'm Finnish by heritage, so maybe I am sensitive to it. (like how it bugs me when I hear Jake virTANen :laugh:)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The part that really stood out to me is when he talked about how internal competition forces you to become a better player. I think that's something that the eternal tank crowd conveniently ignores.

Yep.

Very important. Like Zadina's roster spot with better players and on special teams is now in jeopardy.

Time to do or die.

Reactions: golffuul

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Imo, it's kind of right as "billy". "Ville" in finnish comes from "viljami", older finnish, which comes from foreign "william".

And williams are billys?
As an American William, called Wilhelm by German grandparents and called Guillaume by a French fiance, I always like hearing my name in other languages. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad