Book Feature A Confluence of Destinies: The Saga of the Winnipeg Falcons' 1920 Olympic Gold Medal Victory (by David Grebstad)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One of the Falcons, Mike Goodman, was a renowned speed skater and, when not playing hockey, would compete in speed skating at a very high level.

Sounds very interesting book!

Just wanted to raise this tidbit because I find it really interesting. I think Goodman was North American Champion in 1920 in quarter mile competition? (beating future 500m Olympic gold medalist Charles Jewtraw). And even in some years after that competed evenly against likes of Charles Gorman (Olympic 7. in Chamonix 500m competition).

So not all that surprised that people were amazed about his speed. He was one of the world fastest skaters at the time.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Very interesting video.

I don´t know if you are following this thread still, but I´m curious do you know why Harvey Benson wasn´t part of Olympic team? Granted he was only part of "Taxi squad" that season, but he was part of Falcons for so long.

Other members of reserves were to my understanding Babe Elliot (future USAHA goalie), Babs Dunlop (former Portage player) and Connie Neil (former Falcons player and future coach). Wikipedia seems to claim that Sam Laxdal and Ed Stephenson were part of the team that season too, but I haven´t found anything about that myself. Were they?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Wikipedia seems to claim that Sam Laxdal and Ed Stephenson were part of the team that season too, but I haven´t found anything about that myself. Were they?

From records I've seen Stephenson played one game for the Falcons in the Manitoba League that year, and became a regular the following season (20–21).

Laxdal I've seen last on the 1913–14 team in the Independent League. Perhaps he was part of the 1920 team as a staff member?

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
From records I've seen Stephenson played one game for the Falcons in the Manitoba League that year, and became a regular the following season (20–21).

Laxdal I've seen last on the 1913–14 team in the Independent League. Perhaps he was part of the 1920 team as a staff member?

Okay. I have missed that. I know Stephenson played in that junior team (Young Men Lutheran Club) which wsa also Icelandic rooted and later became Falcons player.

I guess it´s possible that he was loaned for the team for one game or something? Actually one of my sources of the Falcons team roster is poem credited to Mike Goodman which was published in Winnipeg Tribune. :laugh:. It had verses for all the players and staff members. I don´t think there was interemediates season that year in Winnipeg/Manitoba so I guess many good players had to sit out without proper team to join. Here are bits from the subs and reserves.

The there´s Chris and Huck, the most
used subs, always there when needed.
And many a night they showed great fight
in their showing you could read it.

In Babs and Con, and Babe and Harv,
are real good opposition,
If the Regulars do not show up well,
good-bye to their position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad