A Comeback Question (After EN Goals)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have always wondered this too. I am thinking no, because if it did happen, it would be one of those "believe it or not" tidbits that everyone knows.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I will lean towards no, but I might be wrong. I don't really want to dig that much but I know someone who might, pnep perhaps? Are you there?

I can't recall any one time that happened. There are a few instances where a team scored two goals while having the goalie pulled but it is unlikely that a deflated team can come back after allowing an empty netter. I'm going to say no until proven wrong

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm sure I've seen a box score where this occured, can't remember the details though.

Contrary to seventies and Phil, I'd actually be surprised if this hadn't happened at least once before. The decribed situation has probably occured a few thousand times in NHL history, a team has probably come back to tie at least a time or two out of all those chances.

I do remember the Oilers scoring twice with the goalie pulled in the 2001 playoffs against Dallas, the goals coming with about 50 seconds and 10 seconds left if I recall. They ended up losing in the OT period though.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm sure I've seen a box score where this occured, can't remember the details though.

Contrary to seventies and Phil, I'd actually be surprised if this hadn't happened at least once before. The decribed situation has probably occured a few thousand times in NHL history, a team has probably come back to tie at least a time or two out of all those chances.

I do remember the Oilers scoring twice with the goalie pulled in the 2001 playoffs against Dallas, the goals coming with about 50 seconds and 10 seconds left if I recall. They ended up losing in the OT period though.

Yes, that was Eric Brewer that tied it I believe. This was a time when him being an Olympian was no laughing matter

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yes, that was Eric Brewer that tied it I believe. This was a time when him being an Olympian was no laughing matter

I think Rem Murray tipped his shot. I remember this becuase the Stars tried to argue that he tipped it with a broken stick or some load of hogwash like that. But yes, 2000-01 was a fantastic season for Brewer, and in fact quite likely his high water mark. We all thought we were watching a future Norris winner starting his ascent. As it turns out, he basically peaked in his first full campaign. Career curve is very Joe Juneau-esque.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wow, of all the coincidences, this just happened! Canucks go up 3-1 with an empty netter with 55 seconds left. The Wild score with 42 and 19 seconds remaining to force OT. I guess the Canucks and Wild have graciously answered our question.

blamebettman*

I seem to recall the Rangers doing this to the Panthers back in the late 90's. I believe they were losing 4-1 in the 3rd, made it 4-2 about halfway through the period then scored twice with the goalie pulled and under 30 seconds left to tie it 4-4. I think the tying goal came from a set play at center ice with like 12 seconds left. They won in OT too 5-4.

Vomiting Kermit*

Yeah, Game 3 in 2001.

Smyth scored with 1:03 left and then Rem Murray tipped in Brewer's point shot with 6.4 seconds to go. I was at that game and have it on VHS as well.

I remember this becuase the Stars tried to argue that he tipped it with a broken stick or some load of hogwash like that.
Hmm really? I don't remember any of that and I've rewatched the play numerous times.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah, Game 3 in 2001.

Smyth scored with 1:03 left and then Rem Murray tipped in Brewer's point shot with 6.4 seconds to go. I was at that game and have it on VHS as well.

Hmm really? I don't remember any of that and I've rewatched the play numerous times.

and oddly enough, that game was on Easter Sunday, wasn't it?

hlundqvist30*

I seem to recall the Rangers doing this to the Panthers back in the late 90's. I believe they were losing 4-1 in the 3rd, made it 4-2 about halfway through the period then scored twice with the goalie pulled and under 30 seconds left to tie it 4-4. I think the tying goal came from a set play at center ice with like 12 seconds left. They won in OT too 5-4.

I know exactly which game you're talking about. Leeetch scored with something like 2.6 seconds left on a goal that was literally identical to his 1994 Game 7 Stanley Cup goal. Then Graves put in the overtime winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad