WJC: A bit overhyped perhaps?

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I love the world Juniors, but there really isn't a lot of serious competition, and the announcers/analysts often come off as very disparaging towards some/all of the European teams, seem to get this "Holier than thou" attitude. When the 2005 Russian team was being juvenille and taunting a bit, they were immature showboats with no respect for the game(I was frankly, surprised that noone suggested executions). When Canada had some players doing similar either last year or previous, it was because they were passionate young players but maybe should tone it down a little.

Well, this happens at any level, of every sport. Broadcasters are mandated to favour the home side to encourage the viewers to enjoy the game more. Its not different for local NHL broadcasts, so I don't see why it wouldn't be different for this tournament, and you shouldn't expect it to be different either.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
The hockey is really sloppy. I'd rather watch a good NHL game between two teams who play good, disciplined, hockey, but it can still be exciting sometimes.

For anyone who prefers it to NHL hockey, I really don't understand them.

I'll borrow someone else's comments I found elsewhere to explain...

The reason real hockey fans love the game is the kids are still playing for their anticipated supper, and haven't yet delved into the uniform shade of beige that smothers the pro levels.

Their talents are raw, their mistakes are closer to ours, and every once in a while, you can see a hint of playing the game for the fun of it.

Sure it's hyped beyond it's measure, but when you measure the tournament itself, just for a week at least, each game has meaning, not a means to an end like regular season NHL...

SirJordanStaal11*

I have to disagree: this WJC hockey is the best of the best in their age bracket - while some of these players don't go on to NHL careers, a LOT of them will go on to become captains and integral players in the NHL for years to come. In an NHL game, no one team has all first rounders; however, this hockey is exactly that - blue chip prospects top to bottom. We just don't see that in the NHL these days and because of it there's very few good, disciplined NHL games out there today.

Unlike some NHL'ers who just don't deserve one cent of what they're making, these guys are playing for nothing more than pride and do a damn good job at it.

It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the fact that NHL teams are practicing far more than a WJC is, and playing together for longer, and as a result are going to be better on average at executing their system and style of play than a WJC team that is just a bunch of junior players thrown together who don't have a huge amount of time to get used to the way each other play.

I don't care how talented you are, you still have to practice and it still takes a lot of time to become proficient at a certain style of play. I am not saying WJC players don't work very hard at it and don't do a damn good job considering they don't have a lot of time to get it together, but the fact remains that they are not going to be as disciplined and set up than as an NHL team.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the fact that NHL teams are practicing far more than a WJC is, and playing together for longer, and as a result are going to be better on average at executing their system and style of play than a WJC team that is just a bunch of junior players thrown together who don't have a huge amount of time to get used to the way each other play.

I don't care how talented you are, you still have to practice and it still takes a lot of time to become proficient at a certain style of play. I am not saying WJC players don't work very hard at it and don't do a damn good job considering they don't have a lot of time to get it together, but the fact remains that they are not going to be as disciplined and set up than as an NHL team.

Put that way it makes sense - the only saving grace is that some of these players at the WJC show that superstars are able to develop instant chemistry, one of those intangibles that make the great players great.

Now if only all NHL teams that practiced and played together all season had instant chemistry and were more disciplined than some of these junior teams, we'd have some better quality NHL hockey.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'll borrow someone else's comments I found elsewhere to explain...

The reason real hockey fans love the game is the kids are still playing for their anticipated supper, and haven't yet delved into the uniform shade of beige that smothers the pro levels.

Their talents are raw, their mistakes are closer to ours, and every once in a while, you can see a hint of playing the game for the fun of it.

Sure it's hyped beyond it's measure, but when you measure the tournament itself, just for a week at least, each game has meaning, not a means to an end like regular season NHL...

"Real hockey fans"? So to be a real hockey fan you must love the WJC?

"delved into the uniform shade of beige that smothers the pro levels"

This is pure nonsense...

"their mistakes are closer to ours"

This makes it better? Then you must love to watch Malik play..

"you can see a hint of playing the game for the fun of it"

Again utter nonsense, a hint of fun? You can see hints of fun on all levels of hockey, while you might think every pro player does it for the money, I can assure you that most of them find it fun and enjoyable.

"Sure it's hyped beyond it's measure, but when you measure the tournament itself, just for a week at least, each game has meaning, not a means to an end like regular season NHL"

You said you did take these quotes elsewhere from, are you sure you understand the meaning of it?

One of the most hilarious posts ever, you try to sound like a seller who tries to sell a poor product with empty phrases..:shakehead

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
"Real hockey fans"? So to be a real hockey fan you must love the WJC?

"delved into the uniform shade of beige that smothers the pro levels"

This is pure nonsense...

"their mistakes are closer to ours"

This makes it better? Then you must love to watch Malik play..

"you can see a hint of playing the game for the fun of it"

Again utter nonsense, a hint of fun? You can see hints of fun on all levels of hockey, while you might think every pro player does it for the money, I can assure you that most of them find it fun and enjoyable.

"Sure it's hyped beyond it's measure, but when you measure the tournament itself, just for a week at least, each game has meaning, not a means to an end like regular season NHL"

You said you did take these quotes elsewhere from, are you sure you understand the meaning of it?

One of the most hilarious posts ever, you try to sound like a seller who tries to sell a poor product with empty phrases..:shakehead

Wow, I hadn't anticipated such a strong reaction :laugh: I guess I should not have used "real" hockey fan. The rest I stand by... I still love the NHL but it has changed over the years for me - its a business oriented game now more than its ever been ( both for owners and players ). I guess you didn't get most of the comment - its OK.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Wow, I hadn't anticipated such a strong reaction :laugh: I guess I should not have used "real" hockey fan. The rest I stand by... I still love the NHL but it has changed over the years for me - its a business oriented game now more than its ever been ( both for owners and players ). I guess you didn't get most of the comment - its OK.

But would you not say that your WJC's are business oriented more now than its ever been too?
I would say there is a clear difference between what you see now and the days of your "punch up in Piestany".

AvsFan

Dec 24, 2009
Canada love the WJC's. I like them too, I mean it's hockey I'll watch regardless who is playing. But I'm finding the hype to be getting a bit too much. TSN pushes this thing like it's the olympics or the FIFA world cup. Today there was a full slate of NHL games, 5 Canadian teams in action, and a Raptors game, and they lead off with the Canada-Czech Republic tune up game.

This tournament is actually very boring in comparison to the World Championships. It's basically let's watch Canada demolish everyone until they face the one or at most two other good teams that tend to show up every year. Sometimes it's the US, Russia or Sweden. Canada's depth is so much bigger than any other country's (although the US has been making strides), that they will always be the favorites. I like cheering more for the Canadian team in the World Championships where they aren't usually favored to spank everyone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to watch or anything, but I just think had it not been for the TSN publicity machine pushing this thing like crazy, it would probably be something that really only mattered to die-hard fans who are interested in prospects.

International Hockey always has the National Pride strings attached, NHL teams change over so quickly now, players seem to sometimes call it in for certain games, or in some cases call in entire seasons and have less loyalty to teams then was the case in years past.

Junior kids play for their countries and a chance to make it to the NHL, they play hungry and give it their all every game, the energy of such tournies is often higher then the average NHL game.

Watch Canada - USA, Canada - Russia last year, two of the best hockey games I watched all year. Even Canada Sweeden was a good game.

Rivalries like Canada - USA, Canada - Russia, USA - Russia, Sweeden - Finland etc equal that of The NHL's modern rivalries

WJC is for me being home with family during christmas it has become as much about a tradition in itself as it is about the hockey, which IMO is pretty good compared to some of the NHL Games (Carolina Vs Florida Whipee!!)

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
WJC is more interesting than WC by far. In fact, the only international tournament I enjoy more is the olympics and that's only every four years.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
The games may be exciting but the overall level of hockey itself isn't all that great. A lot of times it looks like all 10 guys on the ice are chasing the puck with little to no concern about position, system etc

I prefer a slightly more structured and organized hockey game rather than 10 guys pretty much freewheeling out there.

As much as I love seeing offense, I HATE seeing offense as a result of poor defense, which is what you generally find in the WJC. It's no secret defensemen take longer to develop than forwards, and at this age the disparity doesn't bring out the best hockey.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
This junior hockey has good entertainment value, but value of the WJC tournament is near zero imo. If there are only few countries which can compete with Canada in men's tournament, the depth is a real problem in U20 type tournaments.

Personally I don't care of the outcome of this tournament. It may be a big thing in Canada, but it's barely known in handful of countries (besides hc fans). There simply aren't enough good teams participating because of lack of depth.

Well, Canadians could say that others should put more stakes on hockey, WJC etc. Little European countries may disagree. Why to put more stakes on marginal sport and specifically on some junior tournament.

If we take a look at all time olympic medals stats (both winter and summer), Finland has more medals than Canda and the difference is quite big if we take account that Canada has 6 times more population.

My point is that it's admirable that small nations can get medals in many sports and still compete with Canada in men's ice hockey. It would be stupid if small countries (like Slovakia or Finland) would make all their young men to play hockey just to get more depth and success in some single marginal sport.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah there's a serious problem when highlights from an exhibition game lead off Sportcentre.

There are NHL and other pro sports going on tonight, including the Leafs and Habs and TSN leads off with Canada exhibition highlights? are you kidding me?

Who cares!!!! it's a freaking exhibition game. OMG Taylor Hall scored!!!!!!! wow.

I agree. American media are the same with pro football. In the middle of the summer, Brett favre was getting more coverage for scrimmaging with a HS team than actual meaningful baseball games.

The WJC are EXTREMELY overhyped. I mean, people were calling Jordan Eberle "a national hero" for scoring a tying goal in a game that wasnt even a championship.

I know here in america, the games get buried in the news if they are ever covered, even when hockey was at it's peak in popularity in the mid-90's. In fact, ESPN shows the Beanpot highlights higher up in the newscast than any WJC I can remember. If America wins the whole tourney, then it may get a blurb in minute 35 or min 40 of an hour-long broadcast

One thing you cant deny is that the top scorers in the NHL usually play in the WJC's. But that get's filed under the "Biiiig Deal" category, as in "Yeah, I saw Brendan Shanhan play in the 1987 WJC's. He was great"....Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Deal.

Personally, I just like to watch my team's prospects. However, as in the Hodgson/Del Zotto, people should use caution when they use the WJC as a barometer/measuring stick. And the massive media coverage the tourney gets in Canada is part of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad