Post-Game Talk: A bad defensive performance

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I mean I agree Nurse is better than Keith but your takes on Keith have been “lmao” since it was rumoured we were getting him.
well tbf I haven't been wrong

not to say he hasn't had good games for us but overall he's been a negative factor on the ice and his AAV has handcuffed a lot of moves we could have made off the ice.

that being said, I understand we don't have a better replacement for him and he is obviously well liked in the locker room so I do see his value to the team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why not? Plenty of other guys have taken discounts to make their teams competitive, see McDavid.

By all means, nurse is within his right to squeeze every penny from the organization, but you damn best be sure that he will get criticized making that amount of money. And rightfully so.

It’s not his fault for signing the contract given to him, but it’s damn sure 100% fair for people to criticize his play when he’s making boatloads of money, which he isn’t living up to.
McDavid is taking a discount? He's getting paid 3.5M more than Draisaitl, who the team rides harder and in more capacities. Thus Drai getting 25mins last night and appreciable EV, PP, pk minutes.

How much discount you think we're getting on McD?

For sure its fair to critique any player. On a discussion board its fair to get push back, just like when I open my big yap about guys like Benson. Unfortunately I'm usually right.

In anycase while one can say Nurse is overpaid theres several factors I outlined that led to the pay being exactly what it was. What do you think McD would cost if the team blew their mind and gave him a couple show me bridge contracts. I wonder if he'd still be here..

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What a joke of a post. Yeah, Nurse should be doing charity work for the OIlers. Unlike any other player in pro sports he should be coming to the Oilers office giving filthy lucre back. ;)

As others have mentioned Nurse earned all of what he's getting paid. The contractual situation, and the team situation of Nurse being absolutely needed, and the show me contracts led to the pay.

What an absolute joke of a post, to quote you. Earned it my ass!!

He got paid that $ cuz of 1 year in which we played 5 teams over and over

If this was his contract year or the one before he wouldn't sniff that contract regardless of what Jones got paid

I'd be investigating Nurse and his agent for starting covid infact

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's actually the easier way to go. They weren't at altitude long enough to get any adaptive advantages, though. The real issue was apparently they didn't get into their hotel in Dallas until 4 am. The sleep science (and yes, some pro teams have sleep scientists to help them properly travel) would definitely say the Oilers were at a major disadvantage heading into the game. If that makes a person more or less likely to excuse some of their gaffes in the 3rd period, well, YMMV.

I know some like to downplay the lack of sleep thing, but you take away that fatigue and you can pretty much guarantee that they come out of that game with at least a point.

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

not to say he hasn't had good games for us but overall he's been a negative factor on the ice and his AAV has handcuffed a lot of moves we could have made off the ice.

that being said, I understand we don't have a better replacement for him and he is obviously well liked in the locker room so I do see his value to the team
That is wrong.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
there are days where I scoff at the Nurse contract too but I think people need to realize, we can't just replace Nurse.

Draft -> it would most likely take another top10 pick and 3-4 years of development to get another home-bread top pairing defender.
UFA -> we would have to OVERPAY a #1 dman to come to Edmonton over other destinations (just like we did for Nurse)
Trade -> we would have to give up valuable assets and then some more to get someone close and everyone knows how HFOil hates to give up assets

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid is taking a discount? He's getting paid 3.5M more than Draisaitl, who the team rides harder and in more capacities. Thus Drai getting 25mins last night and appreciable EV, PP, pk minutes.

For sure its fair to critique any player. On a discussion board its fair to get push back, just like when I open my big yap about guys like Benson. Unfortunately I'm usually right.

In anycase while one can say Nurse is overpaid theres several factors I outlined that led to the pay being exactly what it was. What do you think McD would cost if the team blew their mind and gave him a couple show me bridge contracts. I wonder if he'd still be here..
Still baffles me when people thinks McDavid took a discount at 12.5M. He's essentially making UFA money and Draisaitl is making RFA money

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Please get a proof reader. Its becoming hard to read stuff like this. ;) That you write this with a Klefbom name makes it worse.

• Haha
Reactions: KlefDown

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The thing that really sucks about losing that game is that it would've been a big character builder for the team to win like that. That move to put McDavid and Kane out there on the PK was awesome, I was so pumped after that. Hopefully the team takes lots of positives from the last two games, despite losing both.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Mcdavid 100% left money on the table, and it was commonly known when he signed his contract. It was rumoured to be 13.25 but he took 12.5. And we both know he’s fully worth every penny.

And yes, I agree Nurse is a victim of his circumstance - we bridged him and got burned. But I just don’t feel bad for wanting more out of this player, considering what he makes.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I think people should begin to realize that Draisaitl would make close to McDavid money (at least $12M IMO) on the open market.

They should realize it fast, because his contract is up in 3 more seasons. And while the team might have the requisite success in that timeframe to assuage any hyperbolic fears of him “wanting out”, the team might not be able to afford to keep him.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I disagree that overall he’s been a net negative factor on the ice. However I do agree his contract is brutal. Holland is going to have to get really creative this summer because of it and so far he has shown zero ability to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KlefDown

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The thing is he did.

this isn’t new knowledge
I would hardly say Chia being an idiot and offering a crippling 13.5M to McDavid and then McDavid settling down with 1M less a discount. A discount would be 10M or less on a RFA deal and give your team a chance to ice a great team year in and year out.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I disagree that overall he’s been a net negative factor on the ice. However I do agree his contract is brutal. Holland is going to have to get really creative this summer because of it and show far he has shown zero ability to do that.
Fair enough.

He would still be in the top 4 in my oilers lineup right now but wish he had a better impact

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I would hardly say Chia being an idiot and offering a crippling 13.5M to McDavid and then McDavid settling down with 1M less a discount. A discount would be 10M or less on a RFA deal and give your team a chance to ice a great team year in and year out.

That is a discount though, whether you think it is or not. McDavid would get offered 13.5 from any team in the league and he would be worth it.

He could have easily demanded more, is what my point is.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
McDaivd, Nurse, Drai contracts are not what is killing this team.

Gving out two year deals to every jag player that you immediately are tryng to get away from. Taking on the hilaruolsy awful keith cap hit, the joke of a kassian contrct, the arleady potentialy dubious hyman contract for what he has brought.

Reactions: Bobieque

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That is a discount though, whether you think it is or not. McDavid would get offered 13.5 from any team in the league and he would be worth it.

He could have easily demanded more, is what my point is.
Any team would give McDavid 13.5M but it'll cripple that team lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad