Post-Game Talk: A bad defensive performance

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Any team would give McDavid 13.5M but it'll cripple that team lol

Now ask yourself if any other team would give nurse a 9.25m deal.

I get that we were in a tough situation and realy it would have been a lose-lose situation had we not signed nurse for that much, but let’s not compare the value of McDavid’s and Nurse’s contracts, because we all know who is more important to this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The toi forward usage last night was a gongshow in a B2B game. Gee lets play a few players way over 20mins and meanwhile McLeod, one of the best all zone players on the club this season is sitting around on the bench at 7mins.

Meanwhile look at the fiction that is NHL stats. This GA was miscredited with Ryan being on the ice. He gets a minus and he was on the bench. Its Yama being spun around like a corkscrew. The NHL got it wrong, and aren't even correcting it. Thats the quality of on ice stats..

see if I'm wrong

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Which is interesting, isn’t it? Not saying that you shouldn’t pay that for him, but people sure do downplay how difficult it makes it to build a team around that sort of cap hit (not that Chia or Holland did themselves any favours)
Everything would have to go perfectly for McDavid to be worth 12.5M. Nurse, Kosko, Keith, Barrie, Kassian and Foegele contracts all have to be net positive. On top of that Broberg, Yamo, Bouchard and Pulju have to be good. Otherwise we ain't winning sh*t

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Now ask yourself if any other team would give nurse a 9.25m deal.

I get that we were in a tough situation and realy it would have been a lose-lose situation had we not signed nurse for that much, but let’s not compare the value of McDavid’s and Nurse’s contracts, because we all know who is more important to this team.
No teams would give Nurse 9.25M lol. That's crippling. Only the Oilers would. If Yzerman was managing this team, he would let Nurse walk or talk him back down to reality and say he's a 7.5M Dman at best.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If we play the kings in the playoffs I’m willing to bet that they don’t. You have such tunnel vision for losses. We just went punch for punch with the avalanche. We aren’t a bad team.
Didn't say we are a bad team, but a vet laden team like the Kings (who skirt that wonderful penalty line we love so much) would be a nightmare to deal with. Throw in that we can't use Archibald in any road game, and Quick being able to win Cups singlehandedly... Can't say I love our chances.

Also I was very positive about this team winning the last two series we had. ...We all know what happened.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Everything would have to go perfectly for McDavid to be worth 12.5M. Nurse, Kosko, Keith, Barrie, Kassian and Foegele contracts all have to be net positive. On top of that Broberg, Yamo, Bouchard and Pulju have to be good. Otherwise we ain't winning sh*t

Indeed. It’s great having elite players that command top dollar on your team but you need to have some astute value contracts surrounding them to be competitive. Leafs are another example where having all the cap go to a few players makes it more challenging. They’ve had more success with value contracts but still struggle to be relevant in the post season

Reactions: Canovin

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The toi forward usage last night was a gongshow in a B2B game. Gee lets play a few players way over 20mins and meanwhile McLeod, one of the best all zone players on the club this season is sitting around on the bench at 7mins.

Meanwhile look at the fiction that is NHL stats. This GA was miscredited with Ryan being on the ice. He gets a minus and he was on the bench. Its Yama being spun around like a corkscrew. The NHL got it wrong, and aren't even correcting it. Thats the quality of on ice stats..

see if I'm wrong

Looking at that, McDavid has to recognize the danger of his man, and finish the check. He did well to get in position to do that, but for some reason, he stopped skating and was gliding at the end. No question he could have caught him. It's called the same thing as finishing your scoring chances, which is bearing down. Apologies to the other poster who brought this up earlier and repeating his point, but after looking at this in slow mo, it really hammers it home.

Also,did McLeod only get 7 minutes? That is as freaking crime and a bad mistake. With his effortless skating, in a game where we're bagged, we need to take advantage of that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
How often does Edmonton win in Dallas?
Not very f***ing often.
I didn't expect a lot on the 2nd of a back to back road game.

Move on and win the next game after new bodies arrive and this underperforming game is soon forgotten.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How often does Edmonton win in Dallas?
Not very f***ing often.
I didn't expect a lot on the 2nd of a back to back road game.

Move on and win the next game after new bodies arrive and this underperforming game is soon forgotten.
Dallas is like Minnesota. They both play a style that exposes the Oilers defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad