Value of: 9th overall pick

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hypothetically - let’s say the lottery passes and Edmonton stays where they are, which is the 9th overall pick.

Taking team needs into account, what would you give up to move into the top 10 of this year’s draft?

Edmonton needs productive wingers with decent contracts - term is important so please refrain from offering guys with a year left on their deals as raises are going to be in short supply here - and a right handed defenceman that can run a powerplay.

I’d also consider moving down in the first round for extra picks.

Report cards:

NYR - Zuccarello+Namestnikov+Tampa or Boston 1st - B+ grade. Child shows promise.
OTT - Cody Ceci. Failing grade, sent home with a stern letter to Eugene Melnyk.
MTL - A pick they don’t have yet in the 13-16 range and 35th overall. Or 3 2018 2nd rounders, or Gallagher/Danault/2nd for RNH and 9th. Collectively, D- grade for having the two worst offers in the thread.
DET - Athanasiou, Vegas 1st, pick 36. Another version has Nyquist added. Collectively, A- grade. Disconnect on AA’s value but very fair. Class valedictorian thusfar.
WPG - Edmonton trades down to 16th, picks up a 2nd, then trades 16th overall to Winnipeg for Tyler Myers. Failing grade, recommend student’s locker be searched for drugs and alcohol.
COL - 9th overall + 2019 1st for Tyson Barrie. D grade. Huge difference of opinion in Barrie’s value. Recommend child repeats grade.
VAN - Chris Tanev + 37th overall. Definitely not bad, but with Adam Larsson already in the fold I’m not sure we could field a defence corps with almost no puckmoving ability. Would require further moves and Tanev’s injuries are always a concern. B grade.
WSH - Burakovsky and 2018 1st. Solid, simple offer that’s been beaten by others in the thread, but has potential. B- grade.
LA: Complicated offer of Carter, Martinez and a 2nd for 9th, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Russell. D- grade. Believe child is suffering from EPE syndrome - Early Playoff Exit. Edmonton will not move that many futures for two 30+ year old players, one of whom is seeing injuries catch up to him. Recommend child sees school nurse.

Last edited:
Reactions: SantaClaus

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
cody-ceci-2018-54.jpg

Reactions: Zamasu

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Zucc+late first? I want a dman in Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist at 8th and then grabbing Farabee with the Oilers pick would be amazing. Gives Edmonton winger depth and a veteran with playoff experience... Zucc is also a player who gives maximum effort when he's on the ice and maybe he could lead by example. I'd be willing to add even more honestly(due to my unhealthy obsession with Farabee) but I think that's around fair.
Most I'd do for that pick would be something like
Vladdy+Zucc+either of the late firsts for that pick although a lot of Ranger fans would consider that an overpayment.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Zucc+late first? I want a dman in Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist at 8th and then grabbing Farabee with the Oilers pick would be amazing. Gives Edmonton winger depth and a veteran with playoff experience... Zucc is also a player who gives maximum effort when he's on the ice and maybe he could lead by example. I'd be willing to add even more honestly(due to my unhealthy obsession with Farabee) but I think that's around fair.
Vladdy+Zucc+either of the late firsts for that pick although a lot of Ranger fans would consider that an overpayment.

Not bad. Pending free agents don’t do much for us but definitely value there.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I should have added the ‘offensive’ defencemen with less points than Kris Russell also need not apply provision. Foolish of me.

I would not give up the 9th overall pick for Ceci either, but assuming there is any truth to the Taylor Hall to Ottawa rumours that came out earlier this year, he's been rumoured to be linked to Edmonton in the past.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would not give up the 9th overall pick for Ceci either, but assuming there is any truth to the Taylor Hall to Ottawa rumours that came out earlier this year, he's been rumoured to be linked to Edmonton in the past.

At the time of the rumours Ceci was a 22 year old defenceman coming off a season where he was strongly positive and had 10 goals and nearly 30 points.

Now...?

Reactions: ottawa

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Habs can somehow trade Pacioretty for a 13-16OA and a prospect. I would offer this pick + Habs 2018 2nd for the 9OA and be sure to draft best available center with that pick.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Habs can somehow trade Pacioretty for a 13-16OA and a prospect. I would offer this pick + (Habs 2018 2nd) for the 9OA and be sure to drfat best available center with that pick.

This is a poor draft for centres, and again pending UFA’s, especially ones coming off horrible seasons, have very limited value to a team like us that’s going to be in an absolute dogfight to make the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Obtain a 1st rounder 16th+ (either via moving back or acquiring an additional pick...Philly will likely have 2 1sts in the 14-20 range, maybe try to acquire both and send the later one over? idk) and Tyler Myers might be available from the Jets. Offensive RHD for you :)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
This is a poor draft for centres, and again pending UFA’s, especially ones coming off horrible seasons, have very limited value to a team like us that’s going to be in an absolute dogfight to make the playoffs.

Humm, i guess i wasn't specific enough. I'm not offering you pacioretty. I offer 13-16OA (that we'de get for Pacioretty in another trade) + 35OA for 9OA.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
At the time of the rumours Ceci was a 22 year old defenceman coming off a season where he was strongly positive and had 10 goals and nearly 30 points.

Now...?

He's used in a completely different role than he was used under Dave Cameron. He almost never gets PP time. Plays over 23 minutes a game against other team's top players in a shut down role. He's rarely on the ice paired with offensive minded forwards.

Whether or not he excelled in that role (most people would say he didn't), isn't really the point. The point is, you admit he has offensive upside based on seasons where he was used in a more favourable offensive role, if a team's management liked what they saw from Ceci when he was used in a more offensive role under Cameron/MacLean, there's no reason to believe that he could not play that role again.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Humm, i guess i wasn't specific enough. I'm not offering you pacioretty. I offer 13-16OA (that we'de get for Pacioretty in another trade) + 35OA for 9OA.

Ah. That makes more sense. Depends what you get but I don’t think that’s enough to move up that much.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's used in a completely different role than he was used under Dave Cameron. He almost never gets PP time. Plays over 23 minutes a game against other team's top players in a shut down role. He's rarely on the ice paired with offensive minded forwards.

Whether or not he excelled in that role (most people would say he didn't), isn't really the point. The point is, you admit he has offensive upside based on seasons where he was used in a more favourable offensive role, if a team's management liked what they saw from Ceci when he was used in a more offensive role under Cameron/MacLean, there's no reason to believe that he could not play that role again.

Ceci would be a target I can see the Oilers looking at, despite my misgivings. I don’t think 9th would be in play in any way for him though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
AA + VGK's 1st.

Hm. I’m not sure AA has that kind of value to anyone but Detroit.

AA - 24 in August, .44 PPG, 76 points in 172 games in 3 year career.
Ryan Strome - 25 in July, .41 PPG last 3 seasons. 92 points in last 222 games.

I wouldn’t expect a team holding 8th or 10th overall to accept Strome+24th-31st overall to move up.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Rangers fans and their vast overrating of Zuccarello is a really bizarre thing I have seen a lot around here lately. Seems every thread involving a top ten pick he is mentioned.

Reactions: travis scott

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hm. I’m not sure AA has that kind of value to anyone but Detroit.

AA - 24 in August, .44 PPG, 76 points in 172 games in 3 year career.
Ryan Strome - 25 in July, .41 PPG last 3 seasons. 92 points in last 222 games.

I wouldn’t expect a team holding 8th or 10th overall to accept Strome+24th-31st overall to move up.

Fair enough. But I think AA's speed with Drai or McDavid is ugly for teams trying to defend.

What if DET adds pick #36?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair enough. But I think AA's speed with Drai or McDavid is ugly for teams trying to defend.

What if DET adds pick #36?

Probably Drai, RNH and McDavid were deadly together so we don’t want to break that up anytime soon. Draisaitl driving his own line is ideal for us because he’s a much better C than RNH.

Adding pick 36 probably makes it fair value wise and gives us a chance to package 36 and 39 or 40 or whatever our 2nd is to try to move into the 20’s for another 1st.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Obtain a 1st rounder 16th+ (either via moving back or acquiring an additional pick...Philly will likely have 2 1sts in the 14-20 range, maybe try to acquire both and send the later one over? idk) and Tyler Myers might be available from the Jets. Offensive RHD for you :)

Myers concerns me because he’s made of packing peanuts and again that nasty little UFA issue. That’s also a lot of salary to take on while sending nothing back.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Myers concerns me because he’s made of packing peanuts and again that nasty little UFA issue. That’s also a lot of salary to take on while sending nothing back.
he was healthy all of this year if that means anything lol. yea he would be an upcoming UFA at the end of next year... If you guys are out of it at the 2019 TDL you probably could net a 1st for him if healthy. WPG can't take additional salary at this point. IDK how available he truly is, he would be a cap casualty if anything...

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers fans and their vast overrating of Zuccarello is a really bizarre thing I have seen a lot around here lately. Seems every thread involving a top ten pick he is mentioned.
What? We're underrating him if anything. Legit all we ask is a mid first for him. I'm also adding Namestnikov and a late 1st to him for 9th overall.. I think that's an overpayment from us but I'd be willing to do it.
Not bad. Pending free agents don’t do much for us but definitely value there.
i get he's a pending UFA but I think he'll resign at a good price for sure. Zucc is a team first guy and I think he'll come pretty cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad