97/98 NHL Swedes vs 2013

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A bit bored, but it came as a thought when I saw a thread in The business of hockey forum about decline of Europeans in NHL.
I then constructed two teams from each season 2013 and 97/98 just for fun. What would the boxscore be (they are as good as they were the actual seasons, bar injuries)?

Zetterberg – Bäckström - Alfredsson
Sedin – Sedin - Franzen
Landeskog - Berglund - Stålberg
Steen – Zibanejad - Silfverberg

Enstr̦m РKarlsson
Edler – OEL
Kronwall – Hedman
Hjalmarsson – Gunnarsson

Lundqvist

1997/98
Näslund- Forsberg - Alfredsson
Modin РSundin РNiklas Sundstr̦m
Holmström –Nylander – Mikael Renberg
P.J. Axelsson - Mats Lindgren – Andreas Dackell

Lidstr̦m РKenny Jonsson
Calle Johansson – Fredrik Olaussson
Mattias Öhlund –Marcus Ragnarson
Ulf Samuelsson – Tommy Albelin

Tommy Salo

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Goaltending: 97/98 < 2013

Defence: 97/98 > 2013 (Right now we probably have a more talented group than ever, but they are still young and inexperienced)

Forwards: 97/98 >2013 (Not by a whole lot, I believe Landeskog should be on the team though)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sry of course, Landeskog in.

And maybe Berglund? :)

How I see it..
1st line: -98
2nd line: -13
3rd line: wash
4th line: -98

1st pair: -98
2nd pair: -13
3rd pair: -98
4th pair: wash

goalie: -13

Pretty close.. Little edge to -98.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Should'nt Arvedson be in the 97/98 group, and where is Mattias Norström? For 2013, first of all, where is Eriksson? Also i think it's better to use Zetterberg and Steen as centers, getting Hörnqvist in and perhaps Thörnberg.

Last edited:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Berglund yes of course. Arvedson could have a case over Holmström, but it is not clear cut to me.

What is fun with this thread is to see the development of Swedish hockey, not only in NHL by seeing these two squads. Further there is a reason I did not list backup goalies, it has happened stuff.

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
Zibby, yes on potential but no no no, not yet.
Out with Zibby and Silf. In with Hornqvist and Eriksson and move Steen to center.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What, you don't have Loui in there?

Well I had a "right now 2013" approach (i,.e. playing well now) to it at first, in order to balance up the "right then 97/98" approach (which most likely have some similar things/omissions which stings the eye, but people knows the contemporary better). That way it made sense to leave some out, but my stance kind of eroded when I gave way to suggestions (suggestions which are perfectly fine in themselves) but not in the spirit of "right now 2013".

Anyway the line-ups shows an upside of quality regarding Swedish hockey in NHL. These days you can field two full squads up to the cap with Swedish players and in 97/98 you couldn't go for the cap and not even get two teams together (lack of proper centres but most important, goalies)

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
You know it's really hard to take a team with Zibanejad in it seriously, especially on the fourth line.

Jörgen Jönsson should be heavily considered for the 1997/98 team. Mats Lindgren probably was gonna be injured anyways so that is a good slot.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You know it's really hard to take a team with Zibanejad in it seriously, especially on the fourth line.

Jörgen Jönsson should be heavily considered for the 1997/98 team. Mats Lindgren probably was gonna be injured anyways so that is a good slot.

But the OP is comparing the NHLers, Jörgen was playing in Sweden at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad