Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Another point. Tbh he looks like a complete stud at this level. Skating forward and Backwards is off the charts.

He's at 2.0 PPG right now. Doing this without first unit PP time.

Any chance he gets a look for the World Juniors?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Another point. Tbh he looks like a complete stud at this level. Skating forward and Backwards is off the charts.

He's at 2.0 PPG right now.

Any chance he gets a look for the World Juniors?

The US world Junior team is probably more political than the Canadian team, they are so biased towards the USNTDP program.

Hughes - Lock
Samberg - Lock
Anderson - Lock

4 spots for guys like Miller, Walsh, Rathbone, a few guys in the CHL

Reactions: Knight53

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The US world Junior team is probably more political than the Canadian team, they are so biased towards the USNTDP program.

Hughes - Lock
Samberg - Lock
Anderson - Lock

Bode Wilde?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he steps into the ncaa out of a prep school program with no usntdp time and after 3 games is top pair and 2ppg?

amazing. let's hope he keeps it up.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Where would you guys currently rank Jack #2 on our defensive prospect depth chart? haven't yet seen enough of him to take a swing at it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Where would you guys currently rank Jack #2 on our defensive prospect depth chart? haven't yet seen enough of him to take a swing at it.

still a longshot but keeps showing more which is really encouraging. behind juolevi, chatfield, hughes, brisebois, and woo in terms of likelihood of making the nhl for now.

if he is still doing this at christmas he will move up that list very rapidly especially on upside.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
he steps into the ncaa out of a prep school program with no usntdp time and after 3 games is top pair and 2ppg?

amazing. let's hope he keeps it up.

I agree it's amazing. But it's early days, and after the whole McNally fiasco, during which as a grad I kept in touch
with some university inside sources, I also feel wary like I would about any late-round draft pick. I'm a huge Rathbone
fan, but he has some stiff competition ahead of him on Harvard's offensively-talented D corps.

Rathbone isn't always on the top pairing because he's not always paired with Fox. I checked on this with one of the two
Crimson reporters on the hockey beat and that's what she told me. However, this info will only be be provisional so early
in the NCAA season, with a coach who likes to juggle pairings (so I'm told) and a team unable to keep pucks out of the net.

The reporter said Rathbone had been paired with junior John Marino, an Ivy and ECAC standout defensive D, which makes
sense as a "balanced" pairing at even strength. But what I don't get from the stats alone is why Marino is currently a minus 6
while Rathbone is a zero. Protected minutes as a rookie?

Adam Fox, a junior, is the D stud, and 3rd-rounder (NJD) sophomore Reilly Walsh also has class and draft status on Rathbone.
The good news for our freshman guy is that those two D ahead of him in the pecking order both shoot R, while Rathbone
shoots L . . . and so far, at this early date, he's handily outscoring Walsh though not Fox.

Canuck fans who can watch the games will see how our guy (wearing #3) is paired as time goes on. I expect he'll get more
first-unit PP time if their system uses more than one D on the PP. If not, he'll have to bide his time and rack up ES points like
he's doing now. I don't think he'll get any of Fox's minutes until Fox either signs a contract, graduates, or gets injured. However,
it's my impression that Rathbone is a more gifted offensive D than Walsh, and that Harvard will increasingly need his offence to
help bail out the leaking goalies. Also, shooting L is an advantage when the two offensive D ahead of you shoot R.

I'm not watching the games so game commentary would be greatly appreciated!

The Harvard roster, schedule, and individual stats are here, if anyone's interested:
2018-19 Harvard Men's Ice Hockey Roster

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So he wants to stay for four years at Harvard? Hmmmm that doesnt sound good for him wanting to sign here. Not saying he wont but hopefully doesnt turn into a stud and then sing somewhere else

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
So he wants to stay for four years at Harvard? Hmmmm that doesnt sound good for him wanting to sign here. Not saying he wont but hopefully doesnt turn into a stud and then sing somewhere else

Did he say that? Does anyone know that for a fact? Even if he did say it, things can change as we all are aware from our own experience as teenagers.

For an ambitious and talented young man there could be a million reason$ to cash in on a shortened ELC a year or two before graduation. Besides,
Vancouver will soon be a more attractive destination as Pettersson's fame spreads and Hughes joins the fold. I'm aware that the Harvard degree
is a big draw in the USA, but the degree is not by any means over if you leave early for your career or other life experience. You can always finish it later.

Having said all that . . . I agree there's also cause for a bit of pessimism. It's been widely reported that a family member has challenges that this
good kid Rathbone is very serious about helping out with, and the family lives in the Boston area. Also, Harvard's a fun place to be and most students
I knew didn't want to leave when their four years were up. But then again, neither they nor I had a million bucks a year at hand, as a sophomore
or a junior, for the mere stroke of a pen.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I agree it's amazing. But it's early days, and after the whole McNally fiasco, during which as a grad I kept in touch
with some university inside sources, I also feel wary like I would about any late-round draft pick. I'm a huge Rathbone
fan, but he has some stiff competition ahead of him on Harvard's offensively-talented D corps.

Rathbone isn't always on the top pairing because he's not always paired with Fox. I checked on this with one of the two
Crimson reporters on the hockey beat and that's what she told me. However, this info will only be be provisional so early
in the NCAA season, with a coach who likes to juggle pairings (so I'm told) and a team unable to keep pucks out of the net.

The reporter said Rathbone had been paired with junior John Marino, an Ivy and ECAC standout defensive D, which makes
sense as a "balanced" pairing at even strength. But what I don't get from the stats alone is why Marino is currently a minus 6

Adam Fox, a junior, is the D stud, and 3rd-rounder (NJD) sophomore Reilly Walsh also has class and draft status on Rathbone.
The good news for our freshman guy is that those two D ahead of him in the pecking order both shoot R, while Rathbone
shoots L . . . and so far, at this early date, he's handily outscoring Walsh though not Fox.

Canuck fans who can watch the games will see how our guy (wearing #3) is paired as time goes on. I expect he'll get more
first-unit PP time if their system uses more than one D on the PP. If not, he'll have to bide his time and rack up ES points like
he's doing now. I don't think he'll get any of Fox's minutes until Fox either signs a contract, graduates, or gets injured. However,
it's my impression that Rathbone is a more gifted offensive D than Walsh, and that Harvard will increasingly need his offence to
help bail out the leaking goalies. Also, shooting L is an advantage when the two offensive D ahead of you shoot R.

The Harvard roster, schedule, and individual stats are here, if anyone's interested:

Superb post.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not worried about Rathbone not signing at this point. Of course there is a risk of that happening. He may want to stay close to his younger brother. But it seems he comes from a great family who will probably encourage him to do what's best for himself. He's been attending Canucks' prospect camp. Since he stayed behind, he's also a bit older. He'll be 20 at the end of next season. I think the Canucks can look to sign him after his 2nd year and gauge their chances. They can always trade him like Calgary did with Adam Fox.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Hughes - Lock
Samberg - Lock
Anderson - Lock

I think Miller is a lock too. He's ppg in the ncaa and he's a first rounder.

There's also Keane and Samuelsson as well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not worried about Rathbone not signing. Usually the non first rounders are looking for opportunity to crack a lineup as they don’t have the draft pedigree. There is probably not many better opportunities than Vancouver for a young guy looking to have a shot at playing defense in the NHL. Even a few years down the road there looks like an excellent opportunity.

Reactions: Tv9924

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think Miller is a lock too. He's ppg in the ncaa and he's a first rounder.

There's also Keane and Samuelsson as well.

You could technically think that, but the selection committee is crazy biased.
They left Kyle Connor off the selection committee roster, and later off the team and he was well over the Point Per Game in the NCAA at the time.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
You could technically think that, but the selection committee is crazy biased.
They left Kyle Connor off the selection committee roster, and later off the team and he was well over the Point Per Game in the NCAA at the time.

Yeah but Miller played with the USDP all the way up whereas Connor played for Youngstown for 3 years. Them leaving off Connor was ridiculous though.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018

Great info, thanks for this. Nice start for him, ECAC ROW and 2 PPG will get him some attention. Other comments here are speculating on Rathbone not signing but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he also has a connection and history with Brackett. Can anybody confirm?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah but Miller played with the USDP all the way up whereas Connor played for Youngstown for 3 years. Them leaving off Connor was ridiculous though.

Yeah but he isnt right handed
Samberg and hughes both are left handed. So he is competing with Samuelsson, and with Cam York among others for that bottom pairing.
If he was a right he has an easier shot as anderson is the only returnee on the right.
That's why he probably isnt a lock, Favorite, but not lock.
If they go with pure speed, york is the favorite.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Rathbone starting to get a ton of recognition now in the States.

Cresible posters who follow USA HOckey have even mentioned that they would not be surprised one bit if Rathbone makes Team UsA wjc.

Wow that team would be incredible to watch with Hughes and Rathbone on the back end.

Feb 19, 2018
His best friend is Thather Demko.
Signing will not be a problem with him.
Not to mention opportunities here it’s almost a lock.
Also lots of Americans on the team around the same age bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad