Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
No. Every other day schedule.

Green_Bay_Press_Gazette_Fri__Jun_16__1995_.jpg

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The Devils completed the sweep of the Wings on June 24th. Had the series gone seven, would we have seen July hockey for the first time ever?

Yes, I remember talking about this at the time, I think Game 7 was scheduled for July. I'm not absolutely sure, though. It's possible it was scheduled for the 30th, and we were just talking about it being almost July, which, of course, was very unusual.

Edit - thanks, Doctor No, for confirming it was the latter.

Reactions: Doctor No

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
The "Site TBA" note is also interesting. There was some possibility of switching hosting arenas for game 5 and 6 because of some other events?

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The "Site TBA" note is also interesting. There was some possibility of switching hosting arenas for game 5 and 6 because of some other events?

Good question - I believe that this was back when everyone was tired of flying cross-country in the Finals, and so I think that someone had the option to go 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-1-1-1.

I don't remember whose option it was (or if this was even still a thing), but I'll try to find some documentation.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Good question - I believe that this was back when everyone was tired of flying cross-country in the Finals, and so I think that someone had the option to go 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-1-1-1.

I don't remember whose option it was (or if this was even still a thing), but I'll try to find some documentation.
The 1984 and ‘85 finals were the only two 7 game series to use the 2-3-2 format. They returned to the 2-2-1-1-1 in 86 after the league was dissatisfied with Edmonton winning the cup twice on home ice in game 5, games which normally would have been held at the other teams arena. It was an attempt to copy the MLB and NBA which both used it as their setups at the time.

More then likely, seeing as the season was delayed one of the buildings probably had an event scheduled for that evening and the building might not have been able to get out of it, thus the switch.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
As much as I am enjoying the playoffs this year, it is too damn late for hockey. Late May is late enough for me, I don't watch much of the finals usually unless I am interested in a team. Too much to do this time of year for me. I know the US doesn't want to start earlier due the NFL so looks like it won't change.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There is no reason the NHL season can't start on October 1st. What was it, October 9th this year? That's too late. Training camp doesn't need to be so long. But either way, October 1st is perfect.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
As much as I am enjoying the playoffs this year, it is too damn late for hockey. Late May is late enough for me, I don't watch much of the finals usually unless I am interested in a team. Too much to do this time of year for me. I know the US doesn't want to start earlier due the NFL so looks like it won't change.

I know that's the stated reason for starting a bit later in October, but it really makes very little sense. The NFL is still only in Week 5 or 6 when the NHL starts. I don't see how starting during NFL Week 4 would make any sort of difference.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Baseball too...the playoffs in shared markets is a big deal...given how rare playoff games are in baseball, they draw a lot of attention, even if on the road...

Good example...2011-12 Dallas Stars vs. 2011 Texas Rangers.

10/7/11 Chi @ Dal -- attendance: 15,285 -- the Rangers had no game, as they finished off Tampa back on 10/4.
10/10/11 Phx @ Dal - attendance: 6,306 (!) - the Rangers hosted game 2 of the ALCS that same night.
10/13/11 StL @ Dal - attendance: 7,949 -- Potential clinching game of the ALCS for Texas that night in Detroit.
10/15/11 CBJ @Dal - attendance: 8,305 -- Game 7 of the ALCS in Texas that night.
10/27/11 LA @ Dal - attendance: 8,443 -- Game 6 of the World Series (Tex vs. StL)

World Series ends on 10/28

Just in time for a 10/29 home date against New Jersey...attendance immediately spikes to 11,740 in their first eastern home date of the year (unless CBJ was already east by then, but I don't believe they were).

And that's without factoring in the Cowboys or to a far lesser extent, the Mavericks. Or the fact that people probably blew their paychecks on the Rangers haha...

You can't compete with the NFL until it wipes itself off the map, I don't think the NHL is really trying to avoid that...I think it's more so the overlap with the MLB playoffs...look at that above, Dallas basically threw away 4 of 41 home dates...it's a tough enough market...if that team is out of it too early, that's another 4, 5, 6 home dates perhaps on the back side...all of a sudden you're at a fifth to a quarter of your earning power just wiped out...you can't really want to strive to augment that possibility...

What you can do, however, as I do sympathize...when Seattle comes in, just go down to 76 games. 2 x 24 non-divisional opponents and 4x7 divisional opponents. Easy peezy and everyone gets to see everyone...

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Still crazy to think that it would end June 30th potentially.

Can you imagine if the Bruins were in the finals with the Garden on its last legs and playing games there in a heat wave in late June? Could've happened (though I'm glad it didn't)

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I do think the season should start earlier, and thus will end earlier, but what does "Too late for hockey" even mean?

I love hockey and I would love it the same in August as I would in December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad