GDT: #9 CBJ @ NJD - Cinco de winno

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Kalinin is a beast right now, he's making me seem like a clueless idiot for giving up on him after only a few games.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Nope.

This wasn't about breaks. We got out worked in the third. Columbus was more willing to get into dirty areas and win puck battles. This wasn't about luck. They earned those goals, and we deserved to have them hung on us for the cowardly play that period.

No, simply no. Did you only watch the game after the first goal the Blue jackets scored? Everything I said was pretty spot on. That rebound goal was not what you described. It was just a case of being in the right place at the right time, after a fortunate rebound. Devils did plenty of that, and just didn't get the break. If the Blue Jackets worked hard, the Devils did 3x that.

If you're referring just to how the Devils played after giving up the first goal, maybe you have a case, But a game isn't 10 min long.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Controlled first 2.5 periods but no goals to show for it.

Too much over-passing for my taste.

Bad move to mess with the winning lineup and 7 d-men.

Merrill played awfully bad.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Missed this game. Sad that they lost, but from what I'm reading it sounds like the Devils played well and just didn't have the talent to win, which I can't be too upset about, since it isn't the team's fault that most of them aren't too skilled. Hopefully the Devils can rebound with a win against the Flyers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Missed this game. Sad that they lost, but from what I'm reading it sounds like the Devils played well and just didn't have the talent to win, which I can't be too upset about, since it isn't the team's fault that most of them aren't too skilled. Hopefully the Devils can rebound with a win against the Flyers.

Not really a lack of talent.
IMO, too much over passing and Bob made a few great saves to keep them in.

Top line also didn't bear down on some chances.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not really a lack of talent.
IMO, too much over passing and Bob made a few great saves to keep them in.

Top line also didn't bear down on some chances.

I almost threw my phone when Cammalleri passed up that one chance to shoot and tried a fancy pass to Stempniak instead.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Anyone know what the fight was about in section 4 during the third period? Haven't seen one of those in awhile.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Kalinin is a beast right now, he's making me seem like a clueless idiot for giving up on him after only a few games.

Very good game by him. Might have needed some time to adjust. Interested to see if he can play better from here on out. Could be a solid bottom 6 player.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 11m11 minutes ago
Both of Kyle Palmieri's goals this season were scored 6-on-4 with team trailing 3-0.

lol need better than that from our supposed top six addition

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 11m11 minutes ago
Both of Kyle Palmieri's goals this season were scored 6-on-4 with team trailing 3-0.

lol need better than that from our supposed top six addition

Or Hynes needs to pull the goalie whenever we have a PP.:sarcasm:

GDDevils*

No, simply no. Did you only watch the game after the first goal the Blue jackets scored? Everything I said was pretty spot on. That rebound goal was not what you described. It was just a case of being in the right place at the right time, after a fortunate rebound. Devils did plenty of that, and just didn't get the break. If the Blue Jackets worked hard, the Devils did 3x that.

If you're referring just to how the Devils played after giving up the first goal, maybe you have a case, But a game isn't 10 min long.

You couldn't be more wrong. That rebound goal was a direct result of Jenner being physical. Legal or not he drove the net and hits Merril into Schneider which causes the events leading to the rebound.

The second goal, Larsson gets hit behind the net and chases the man to return the favor leaving Greene alone in front against two forwards. **** coverage from our forwards but Lars usually makes that read differently.

The Fartsmell goal was pretty obvious. Destroy Gio, score goal.

Every goal was scored due to them being physical. You could see it coming even before their first goal. Guys were starting to flinch because they knew they were going to get hit.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
This is what happens when you don't put away a team you have on the edge. It usually comes back to bite you in the ass. And I agree that Columbus was never has bad as their record, just like the Ducks. Still no excuse when you outplay a team for two periods.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The team got too cute this game.

The top line tried to make way too many nice passes instead of just taking the shot at times. The main reason we've been having success of late is because we have been getting shots through and getting rebounds. That's how we're going to win games and they seem to forgot that last night.

The confidence got to them and made them think they were super skilled when they're not.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
The team got too cute this game.

The top line tried to make way too many nice passes instead of just taking the shot at times. The main reason we've been having success of late is because we have been getting shots through and getting rebounds. That's how we're going to win games and they seem to forgot that last night.

The confidence got to them and made them think they were super skilled when they're not.

Agreed completely. Their only goal came from throwing it on net and driving the net hard.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Eh, we were due for a game like this. Decent effort but when you control the game for 2.5 periods and can't get a lead, it never ends well.

My only big concern is Severson. One of my big hopes for this season was that he would get back to looking like that sure fire top pairing defenseman we saw at the beginning of last season. He's been underwhelming overall and particularly bad last night IMO. He might need another game up in the pressbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad