Post-Game Talk: 9 AM May 19th, 2024 - Garbage Bag Day at Warrior Arena

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Keep those future 1st for Sure. I think you seen Linus back for his final run. I don’t think Jake does not Return to Boston Just a hunch . Maroon might be back for the vet minimum. Shatty did what he was asked to do nothing earthshaking. Mason got valuable experience and solidified a spot. Beecher showed some positive signs. And glad Justin showed he can play in the nhl. I think this be a big off-season for Donny and he has to get the right guys in here. No clue how he getting a true Center but this is a must. Linus is a wildcard here

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Spent the day painting trim and shopping for rugs. I lost count of how many times I stepped off a ladder, or out of my car, then had to let out a quick grumble and a sigh because there was no Bruins hockey on tonight.

Today was worse than the last two. Tomorrow it will start to get easier.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
The Bruins are not going to overpay for Jake take that to the bank. Linus is another issue not sure what is going to happen will he accept a trade or the Bruins decide to make one run for the cup. I am happy the Progress Mason made and hopefully Matthew puts on some bulk and can play Center down the line. I think Justin can make an Impact on that 4th line.I like the Peeke and wotherspoon combo on that bottom pairing. But it will come down to what Donny pulls off in the offseason with that extra cap money.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
An off the wall thought:

Have NESN sign Louie DeBrusk, Jake's Dad, as part of the new hockey broadcast team and may be the Bruins can get a contented Jake at a reasonable contract.
Yeah, the owner of NESN, and the Pittsburgh Penguins laughs his ass off.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think Marchy has at least two more seasons in him.

At this point they need to just cut bait with DeBrusk. If he really wanted to be here, he would have already signed. He’s the only one so far today that wasn’t emphatic about staying in Boston. Trade him at the draft to get picks and be done with it
Not sure if they can get any picks for him. Probably a 4th because he's a UFA anyway on July 1. Maybe a team wants a leg-up on the others for the right to negotiate with him but I'm not sure what that's worth and if there are precedents?

I think a lot of people forget that he came right off of rehabbing from back surgery into the lineup at the very end of the regular season. I don't think we saw the best Pat Maroon out there, as you say he was playing fine with the Wild until he went for surgery.
Right. Didn't Foligno have an iffy season until 22/23 when he was very good. I expect that after a summer rehabbing etc he'll have a bounce back season (no pun intended).

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS QUOTES

End of Season Media Availability

May 19, 2024​

BOSTON BRUINS CAPTAIN BRAD MARCHAND…

On the season ending..

“Yeah, obviously, it's disappointing when you don't achieve your goal, regardless of where the expectations were to start the season, not internally. I think internally, we all expected to have a good year. But from the outside noise and kind of where everyone projected our team to be, you know, we grew a ton. There were a lot of things we had to overcome this year. A lot of changes. We had a ton of new guys, a lot of young guys come in, and we lost some huge pieces with [Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci]. Some of the older guys, the way we came together, and what we built, the team, and coaching staff did an incredible job at putting a game plan in place that was going to allow us to have success, and we grew so much as a group, but at the end of the year, we were doing so well, and we thought that we could get it done and that's the tough thing about playoffs is that you know, you're one play away from changing the series and changing the outcome. There's a lot of things you can look at in this series that if we would’ve capitalized on an opportunity or two, it could have been a much different series and it's tough to see it end the way it did when you look at that, but definitely a lot that we can take away and be happy about and look forward to improve upon next year. I think with the base what we have and now that new outlook of our group and the new core, you can look at next year and be excited and look to improve upon that. So yeah, I don't want to sit here and say it was a huge success this year because at the end of the day, we play for a cup, and that's what you build for the entire season is an opportunity to be in the playoffs and to ultimately win. So we accomplished a goal by getting in the playoffs, but you know, we didn't accomplish the ultimate goal.”

On his goal to improve the team as a leader…

“It'll be a lot easier next year coming into the season than this year. There were a lot of unknowns, even who was going to be the captain and how our team was going to look. But you know, going into the summer and then going to next training camp, it'll be a lot more comfortable, and I'll be way more confident in the role in the position, just understanding what it's about what comes with it and I think that the year will be a lot easier to start next season. Personally, but you know, as a group as well, I think that again, I speak about the new core that we have and the way the guys grew this year and new positions and new roles. We have a much better idea of where our lineups gonna look next year. Obviously, there's some holes every year, but they need to be filled. But I think that the foundation of our team is there, and we'll be back again next year. Structure and coaching staff that we have, I think it's exciting about the opportunity to accomplish some big things in the next year. So you know, it's still fresh, but I'm excited to get going already.”

On any contract extension discussions…

“I can't believe how quick it came. It's not on the table. It will definitely be a conversation at some point and we'll go from there. Obviously, I've been here for my whole career and would love to continue that. We’ll deal with that when the time comes.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD DAVID PASTRNAK….

On winning the first round of the playoffs and his thoughts on the team’s progression…
“Yeah one hundred percent. I'm super proud of the group. We got much younger, we had some experienced guys who came in who have won cups and did an unbelievable job that any player could learn from. Guys that grabbed the opportunity, they came in and did a good job so I’m very proud. A lot of people were saying that we weren’t going to make the playoffs or that we’d be in the wild card spot, and I think we put ourselves in a good spot going into playoffs. It’s definitely a much younger team, and it’s a good experience for some guys to get that first playoff series win and good motivation going into the summer for next season.”

On what injuries he dealt with this season…

“Yeah, I had a couple of groin issues this season that were coming back a lot, but the main thing was the groin.”

On if the groin injury affected his play in the playoffs…

“No.”

On how much he enjoys playing for the Boston Bruins…
“Yeah, it’s my home here, home away from home. The people here are a big part of me loving it here. You guys know, I love this city and playing for the people. It's unbelievable to play in such a sports city, and for my family, it became a big part of it and felt like home. I don't see myself anywhere other than here."

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN CHARLIE MCAVOY…

On the season ending…

“You know, it's tough. It’s never easy, a lot of processing, a lot of different emotions you feel. You always hate when the ride’s over, we wish we were still playing. But the more you internalize it and look at it, and the overall picture of what the season was, and what this group was, you start to see a lot more positives come to mind of what we were able to put together this year. I think the biggest thing is just, you know, with what transpired over the last offseason and the pieces that we lost. And then seeing what this group was able to accomplish, you know, putting that together over the offseason, you had a lot of young guys step up, which I think is the most important thing is. You're seeing the depth from within your organization start to start to show itself, which was massive for us this year. Seeing a lot of guys step up and create roles for themselves. You know, and the veteran guys that we brought in were outstanding for us, and great people and leaders. Sort of what this team was able to accomplish and putting it together in the offseason, you know, what people might have thought we would have done and what people might have thought we could have done in here. I think we were able to really beat a lot of those expectations, we were able to put something special together, and for that I’m just so proud of everybody.”

On his personal performance this season…

“I really liked my year. It was a different season for me as far as sort of coming into more of a leadership role, which is something that I take an extreme amount of pride in. You know, I really feel like it's hard to look back on the regular season, and sort of put that into, into perspective. And so many games and September feels like such a long time ago. But more recently in the playoffs, I really feel like I did everything I could and I always put my heart and everything. And leave it all out there, and I know that everyone on this team did the same thing and for that I feel like we can be proud.”

On if he had any injuries…

“I had an [acromioclavicular], which kind of sucked. I've never heard that before. And that's really an annoying injury like, a couple of people were like, you're gonna deal with that all year. Couldn’t wait for that. But yeah, they weren't wrong. Like, it's annoying, but, you know, it's none of those things that you can't overcome things, everybody deals with stuff like that.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN BRANDON CARLO…

On his personal growth this season…

“I think it's experience for sure. This year for myself, I kind of just really focused more so on cultivating the side of me that wasn't a hockey player. I feel like a lot of times I got caught up just putting in too much of my identity in what I do in my job and I'm grateful for the perspective that I've learned this year and I feel like that helped my game a lot. You know, babies will do that. Family will do that. And there's just so much outside of the game that I feel so good about so blessed for just recognizing that this is the game that I played since I was a kid and how fun that I'm still able to do it. I think about so many teammates that I played with over the years and to still be here and never really working like a real job has been pretty incredible. So no, I love it. I never want it to be over.”

On if he had to play through any injuries…

No injury-wise, I felt good. You know, that was something that was tough my first couple years. I think I had my fair share of disappointments there but I'm very thankful for the way that I've been able to remain healthy in the playoffs. It's something that I've wanted to personally accomplish. I would say a couple years ago, maybe I was in my head a little bit more about that. Nowadays, I just want to go out and play as hard as I can and kind of let everything handle itself. So injuries will happen but no, aside from that my body has felt pretty good. You know, for all that you can ask for going through the playoffs.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD PAVEL ZACHA…

On his health this season…

“Health was you know, it was pretty good. I think. Nothing major there even the playoffs. So that was good that I could kind of go through the season and playoffs but you know, just minor stuff.”

On if the team needs more help at the center position…

“I think the team did a pretty good job. I think going into the season, I think no one expected us to be where we were, and I think you know, Charlie Coyle and [Morgan Geekie] in playoffs, you know, playing center, I think they took over the role, and I think they did a great job. So, it's always nice to get help and stuff. That's something that I feel like the management is going to look into this offseason. But I think there's a lot of good things that we can build off of this offseason to be an even better team next year, which is really exciting.”

On what he hopes to work on in the offseason…

“I think just building off what I got to finish the season. I think the face offs, you can always get better at. It's something that especially in the playoff time, you know, it's really important if you want to play the big minutes, you know, six and five, five and six. It's important and I think just being in better shape than average this year. Just getting better with that and I think overall just me being physically ready for next season that kind of gives you the confidence to make the place after anything every year. You're getting more confident with. This is gonna be my third year next year too with the Bruins, so it's gonna be even better.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD CHARLIE COYLE…

On learning curves for playing center…

“There always is, it doesn't matter where you play or how many years you play in a certain line. There's always that learning curve you can always get better and learn and that's what's special about this game. You can never be complacent. You're learning every day. Yeah, for me personally, there was a little more responsibility and a role that I've wanted for a while and wanted to do well in. I'm a tough critic on myself and I always have been. I like that about myself because it pushes you to do more. I think you know, there was some strides that were made but there's some things that I can get better at and will get better at and I'm always looking to increase my ability and what I do and to come back and be a better player for this team. That's what you have to do. That's what I strive to do. And we all strive to do that. That's what makes guys in here and our team so good. Everyone has that mindset, so it's no different going into the summer but it gives you confidence to have that increased role in. Playing time and you just want to do better when you have that.”

On the team’s bond…

“I think there were a lot of positives in that form with a lot of guys playing increased roles. Younger guys coming up and whether expectations were low or whatever guys rose to the occasion, took on more responsibility, more playing time, playoff experience, like that's all valuable stuff and we saw that a lot with a lot of guys. I mean a whole team as a whole but just guys coming up and playing and doing a great job and exceeding expectations. That's what you want. It's great to see that growth from a lot of individuals and that's just valuable stuff that we're gonna take and it's going to be huge moving forward. I'm really excited about this group. There's no consolation for losing, it sucks, and put that first and foremost it sucks but to look ahead, you have to look ahead and see what you have and what we have and what we can continue to grow on. I'm really excited about that. And it gives you a little spark for the summer to go out and get better and come back better for your team. I love our core and what we have, we have a special. The culture in here is special. We always talk about that. And I think that says a lot on why guys come in and even younger guys and kind of relish in their roles and play well. It's because of the culture that enables guys to do that. And that always excites you. So I'm excited to get going and look forward to next year.”

BOSTON BRUINS GOALTENDER LINUS ULLMARK…

On how difficult it was to watch…

“So this is the thing about playing professional sports, one of the hardest things is to be off to the side, because you want the team to succeed, but you want it to succeed with you as well. So it's definitely one of the hardest things, but I wasn't alone in it. Obviously there's other guys that wanted to play as well. I thought that having the support system that I have and also having the conversations that I had with people around it… I felt that I did what I could, I did what needed to be done, I tried to carry myself very professionally and support every single one of my fellow teammates throughout this stretch.”

On his future with the team…

“My future here? I’ve got one more year. I'm very excited about what's to come. We’re in for a heck of a summer. I'm very motivated, mixed in with some revenge, obviously some inspiration this fall, but most of all, excitement of what's to come. Obviously everybody thinks about, for me personally, that it was a year that wasn't as good as it was prior. For me though, it's all about personal growth, and I learned a lot about myself and different aspects of the game and also how I am as a human being.”

On how he navigated trade talk discussions...

“It’s hard to not hear it, but you can't be isolating yourself because then you would live in a shed in the woods and you’d show up here for practice sometimes. But I mean, I have you guys. You're always going to ask questions, you want to know what's happening, you can ask questions, obviously, to get to the answers that you might want, but I'm not going to give you any good answers other than that. So for that matter, that's also one of the things that was new for me this year. I have never been a part of any trade talks before, so that was a new experience. Was it hard? Yeah, it was hard, because you're very comfortable where you are, you don't want to move when you feel like you're playing well, and you have the team, you have the bonds that you’ve made with your teammates. So, with that popping up now, I'm not the only one that was in trade talks, obviously. There were other goaltenders out there in the league as well that there were a lot of rumors about, and they might get those, and there might not be any opportunities for any of them. For me, it's above my pay grade as well, really. I don't have the luxury to choose that. If I could, I'm probably going to say the same thing as everybody else, but I want to stay, and I'm going to stay. But we live in a world where professional sports is, you’ve got to deal with the hand you've been dealt with. Like I said, I have one more year. I wouldn't want anything else than to come back here, get a bit of a revenge tour. I'm very excited and motivated for what's to come, especially now to be a father first, that's what my goal is, catch up on what the kiddos are doing and attend soccer practices and enjoy life a little bit with them because it’s very hectic during the playoffs, and they get they get lost a little bit, obviously, during that time.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD TRENT FREDERIC…

On what he wants to improve in the offseason…

“Me personally? I think like just my touches with the puck and simple stuff. If you watch a lot of good players in this league, are making a lot of plays behind the net, rims, and stuff like that. I think this summer, it's something I want to try to focus on. It's something simple, but I feel like I see it a lot and it's almost like every shift so it's something right now I've been thinking about. I really haven’t been thinking that much, to be honest.”

On becoming a leader on the team…

“I try to do leadership my way. I don't have as much of a voice with a lot of older guys in our league and on our team. I try to just be a good guy, show up on time and work hard. We have a lot of guys that are great leaders and very vocal and have great points throughout the whole year. And I try to just kind of feel like, years and years of kind of doing this you start learning situations and understanding kind of what those are talking about, it’s cool.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN HAMPUS LINDHOLM…

“Obviously, a little down pointwise from last year. I also got a little bit of a different role this year. A little more defensive starts in defensive minutes, which I'm all about. When I see myself as a player I want to make everyone else around me better. When I go out on the ice. I want to try to help my team have the best success to win hockey games. Looking at our roster that was kind of where I fit in the best this year to contribute and bring the best out of the team from my side of things and obviously like you still want to find ways to be even more productive because I know I have had that in my game. And I've shown it that last season but overall, I always work my butt off here for the [Bruins]. It's a team that I feel like I've only been here for like two and a half years now but it feels like it's a lifetime. I love playing for the Bruins. I think we have the best fans. It's so much fun when you have success, so much fun coming and even we're a hard-working culture here but coming in working harder feels easy compared to other teams I may have been on, and it's something I love being a part of, and the guys here, the culture, like I said we have, the staff, we always find ways to be competitive and go out there and it's really fun.”

On if his game is still evolving…

“Oh, 100% yeah. I've always been that guy even a little in my Anaheim days. So I take a lot of honor in that. Being the guy that can play with anyone. I want to be the kind of army Swiss knife that the coach knows he can throw out there with anybody in any situation and then obviously depending on what the team needs just then and there from me. I want to be out there and help because that's the way you win hockey games. You want to be that guy that comes out in all situations helping a team win and like I said, I'm still evolving. I think when you stop evolving in this league, that’s when you fall out of it so I’ll go home to the drawing board and find ways to come back even bigger, stronger next year.”

BOSTON BRUINS GOALTENDER JEREMY SWAYMAN…

I think, a lot of growth. That's what I'm most excited about, and to be a part of a longer playoff run to understand what it takes to be successful, and just how difficult it is to achieve the ultimate goal. That's what I'm gonna have in the back of my mind all summer long.”

On being a part of the Bruins organization…

“That's everything to me. I think it's obvious how much I care about this organization, how much I care about this team and the city. And I wouldn't want it to be any other way. And so that's what allowed me to come to the rink every day and just give my absolute all because I know I'm representing more than myself and my family. I’m representing the city and an organization and a great history. You talk to guys around the league that don't have that experience, and I feel bad for him. So I couldn't be more, more happy to be a Bruin.”

On goals of signing a long-term deal…

“I am, and I'm confident that my agent and I and management will figure out the details this summer. And I'm looking forward to it.

On his relationship with Linus Ullmarrk during the playoffs…

“Just endless positivity, and and we thrive off that with each other and and knowing that it's not easy when you're not playing games. And I've been in his shoes where you really are being the ultimate teammate, and his demeanor was to bring, to compete every day understanding that if I wasn't being my best, you could be in that net just as fast. So my job was to maintain the competitiveness, maintain the edge, and not have any days off. Because if I did, then, again, he could take that net just as fast. So knowing that he's such a quality goalie and a quality human, it was such a privilege and an incredible thing that we had going, because only going to make one another better and of course, indirectly, our team better.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD JOHN BEECHER…

On how he wants to improve his game…

“I think the biggest thing for me moving forward and you know, going to the offseason, next year is just consistency. You know, finding a way to bring it you know, each and every night. I mean, it's an extremely hard league and you can have weeks where you play three or four games so you got to be ready to go in every single game and every night and you know, I think that'll be my main takeaway from this year and moving forward is just, you know, whether it's the mental side or the physical side of the game, just always being ready to go.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN MATT GRZELCYK…

On approaching free agency in the offseason…

“Yeah, I haven't had a chance to meet with coaches or management yet so we talked about pushing that to the offseason. So yeah, I guess just have a conversation with them and go from there.

On what he’s looking for from the organization as a free agent…

“I don't know, I'm not really sure. No, this is the only place that I’ve known and the place that I grew up wanting to be. It's been an unbelievable experience since I've been here and I'm so grateful for the opportunity and not only getting to play here but to be around a special place and special people that are within the organization. So those are things that I'm starting to look back on and cherish.”

On if he played through any injuries…

“Early in the year I just tore my oblique, so that was why I had to go on LTIR for about a month there. I think that that kind of derailed me a little bit, not even just from the injury, just having to miss 10 games. I think that kind of was tough to get back from and I had a tough time finding my groove after that.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN KEVIN SHATTENKIRK…

On his experience in Boston…

“Yeah I think I was pleasantly surprised right off the start. You know, being an Anaheim in the last three years, it was an uphill battle there to win games and create a winning culture. And I think I was blown away when I came here just to see what they have in this locker room. And it’s fun, I think it’s, even at my age, like, it's, great to be in a competitive atmosphere every day. We have healthy competition up and down, our lineup which pushes you to be a better player. And I think it drove me this year. It made me hungry and I learned a lot from a lot of guys here and was able to be a leader in the locker room. And you know, I give a lot of credit to Brad [Marchand] for the way he handled this year. I mean, it’s not easy to become a captain of a team. But, he handled it with ease, it seemed like and allowed guys like me to still have a voice in the locker room and, and feel comfortable. So all that combined for a great experience for me and obviously upset with how things ended but again, I think when I look back and reflect on the whole year, it was a great experience.”

On if he wants to keep playing…

“Yeah, I do. I think again, this year was good for me in that sense to realize that. I think the three years in Anaheim were tough in that regard, and you feel like maybe you're losing it a little bit, and then you come back to play for, you know, a great team like Boston, and a competitive team and realize that you still have some value and you can have you have a role. The thing that I've kind of learned the most obviously, is that, I’m a different player now, I have to accept the different role. And you know, I’m comfortable with that. I think that’s not something that I’m expecting, you know, to get Charlie McAvoy minutes and be leaned on heavily like that. So I think I’m happy to play and accept my role and do what I can.”

On what next season looks like for him…

“Yeah. I mean, I would again, I would love it to be here. You know, I love this group, and am excited about where they're going. But, for sure, I think at this point, you know, I'll be looking at somewhere that is a good fit for me, and I think that's going to be probably the same thing for teams. You know, it's not like they're trying to bring in a young guy with, you know, with maybe a higher different ceiling than me, I think it's, it's something that, you know, I'm gonna have to just see how it plays out and see what teams are looking at. Like I said, hopefully it's Boston.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK…

On his reflection of this season…

“I think it's interesting to look at maybe the expectations for the team coming off the year that they had last year and all the change, maybe the expectations were a lot lower. So it's fun to be a part of this group and just kind of the standard that's been set here over the years. Obviously, a lot of things to kind of put forward the way that we did and to kind of have, obviously, the regular season that we had to put ourselves in the position to be in the playoffs and where we finish and things like that. I thought was a good thing. Obviously, at the end of the day, we all play to win the last game of the year and we weren't able to do that. But I think as far as looking when you take some of the emotion out of the sting of that and look at the expectations coming into the year, there were some positives in that in that vein, but ultimately any year you don't get a chance to win it does staying in it does suck and it hurts so obviously lots of different kinds of feelings overall all that.”

On what he’s looking for in free agency…

“I think for sure, at this stage of my career, it's all about having a chance to win and obviously being in a place where it's a good fit as far as with what you bring to the table and the role that maybe you're going to be envisioned and see try to obviously align a lot of that so I love my time here this year. Certainly would love it if I was able to come back. So obviously all that stuff kind of gets worked out over the course of the summer and things like that. But can't say enough good things about my experience here and about the group of guys that we have here and the staff and things like that. So it was again that that whole atmosphere was awesome. So a great experience overall.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD PAT MAROON…

On his experience playing in Boston this season…

“I want to first thank my trainers for getting me back to playing the game I love playing every day. I can't thank them enough. [Scott Waugh, Joe Robinson and Dustin Stuck] did an amazing job to get me back and get me back, a system that at the end of the game I walked into the locker room not knowing anything and they made me feel at home. I truly believe that it's a good group of guys and they care. It's really close group. And it was so easy for me to come in here and transition to be myself and just be me. And the leadership group in here is amazing. And to be a part of this group was really special. We really do have a close-knit group in here and I was so fortunate to be a part of that. We came up short, it’s unfortunate but you gotta give Florida a ton of credit for bringing their game every single night. We can sit down, point the finger but we're not. But for me, I had the best experience in my life, in my career to be a part of this group and be a part of this. These guys that really truly care. I can't thank them enough for welcoming me, my wife, and my daughter, my son to be part of it. When you go through teams and we go through a bunch of teams. I felt like this team was it. I really did. Just because of how everyone is and how they act and how they treat everyone. You could tell the leadership group, it's a trickle-down effect in this group and it goes a long way.”

On what free agency will look like for him…

“Listen, I'm a guy that's happy to be anywhere. I would love to be here. I think my role has never changed since I've been a player. You have to adapt on the fly sometimes and I adapted on the fly to be a guy that wanted to play NHL and everywhere I went I put up points. And unfortunately, if you want to make it you got to do something else. And I showed that and so I just keep being myself and be who I am and never changed.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD JAKE DEBRUSK…

On what he will prioritize in free agency…

“To win. I think that's something that I want. I think, I’ve been now, this is my seventh time in the playoffs. I've got a lot of experience playing games obviously, was close in 2019. That's the biggest thing. I think that's all I want to do now is to win a Stanley Cup. So that's number one priority. Just going to go and it's probably what I’ll look for.”

On how he would characterize his personal season…

“Yeah, I think that it was kind of like you said honestly. I think there was a lot of ups and downs. I think that starting the year off playing with [Matt Poitras] kind of helping a young guy through this first goal. I remember his goal in Anaheim and it was, it was an awesome moment. But I remember playing with him playing at the top lines, pretty much at the get-go of the season. Kind of switching around through… Trying to find out you know, obviously our best lineup for our team. I think that there's a lot of differences where I was playing the left and the right and you know, lots of different PK minutes and just different situations. So I felt like I was kind of learning honestly a lot this year. I think that the defensive side of the game is something that takes years for guys to master and I think that I made some positive steps in there. I made some big mistakes as well, but you do when you try and get better in that area and then I think for me personally ended up pretty well in the playoffs. Wish I still could’ve done more but in saying that, I think that I did. I guess what I wanted to do.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD MORGAN GEEKIE…

On his personal performance this year…

“Yeah, I mean, for me, it was definitely a different year. Like, I didn't try to put too many expectations on coming here, and I was just excited to be part of something. So for me, I thought I grew a lot as a player. I think there's still lots of room to grow for sure. You know, I probably played, you know, a little more than even I expected to but you know, that's something that you kind of just take in stride and something that you're never gonna say no to. So it was a heck of a year and I had a lot of fun. So I'm just excited to do it next year.

On how he wants to grow his game…

“You know, just a little bit more finishing a little bit more in the offensive zone. You know, when you get those starts with those kinds of players that I had the fortune of playing with, being able to convert on those opportunities and that and my face offs too, for sure. That was something that you know, was a strength for me and seemed to slip a little bit this year, so it'll just be getting on top of it again.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN DEREK FORBORT…

On his surgeries during the season…

“I got both of my groins done, and there was a torn ligament in my thumb, so they fixed that too.”

On what has stood out to him throughout his time in Boston…

“I mean, yeah, it's just been a dream come true. I mean, growing up in Duluth, we had Tommy Williams in there, and he was one of the first Americans to play in the NHL and it was with Boston. Boston was always kind of my dad's team, and to be able to wear the jersey for the last three years, I guess, two and a half. It's been a dream come true. I’ve loved every second of it.”

On if he wants to come back to Boston…

“Yes, definitely. Jim [Montgomery] is someone that I love playing for, the way he thinks about the game and the way he explains things. I love the guys in the locker room, I’ve been on other teams and this is a pretty special group in here.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD DANTON HEINEN….

On how he felt about his season…

“I think looking back to where it started, starting on a tryout and the way it kind of played out, I would say it's been a positive season considering the way it started out. Like you said, there's different parts of business and everything, but I was grateful to be here and be a part of it and be part of this group.”

On how the organization had stayed the same since his first time playing in Boston…

“Yeah, to me I think it stayed the same a lot, just with culture and things like that. I mean, the way you go about it day in and day out, the details, the want to win. That's something that I think is ingrained here, and no matter what, even coming in here, I don't think everybody had us as a team that would be that competitive. I think it's just the organization itself always sets that drive to win, and that pressure to win is always there. It seems like it's always a competitive group.”

On if he’s had any conversations about extending his contract…

“No, not yet. Obviously the season just ended, so hopefully that will be coming in the future.”

On if he’s open to doing this before July 1…

“Yeah, I mean, I would like to, but we'll see what happens and we’ll see how those talks go.”

On if there were any injuries he was dealing with during the playoffs…

“I just had some lingering stuff. Yeah, I don't really want to get into it. It was just frustrating to not be able to be out there battling for a few games there, but yeah, we’ll discuss.”

On if this injury is something that needs to be addressed in the offseason…

“I don't think we're going to look it over and talk about the options, but I think I should be able to make a full recovery.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD JUSTIN BRAZEAU…

On his journey this season…

“Yeah, obviously for myself, it was a bit of a crazy year. Obviously starting just on an AHL deal in Providence, and then finishing the year here. Definitely came a long way this year. I thought parts of my game really took a big step forward and I was really happy with how the year ended.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN MASON LOHREI…

On how much of a confidence builder that the playoffs were for him…

“Yeah, it's been incredible. I was just telling my parents that it’s the most fun I've had playing hockey with the playoff run we had. Being able to come in and jump into a role and run with it is huge for confidence going into the summer. It gives me a lot of motivation to stay at it.”

On playing for the Boston Bruins…

“Everything is first class. It's truly an honor to play here and wear that Spoked B on my chest, playing in front of the best fans in hockey. So much support from them, and then just the guys in this locker room. I mean, that's really that's really what makes it so special here. I obviously haven't been anywhere else, but hearing other guys talk about how special it is, and coming in they made me feel so welcomed right from the start. It’s an unbelievable place.”

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A few nice comments amongst the interviews but with one exception nothing particularly interesting. Which I suppose is normal. Nothing either in the way of injuries that had an impact on the playoffs specifically, apart from Heinen's. Good. Removes any temptation to get into 'would haves' or 'could haves', can't pretend that the roster doesn't have a few holes. The players did their best and just weren't quite good enough.

The only player whose interview stands out to me is Ullmark's. I know on one level he's just saying the 'right' things about his future. But I think he genuinely really wants to stay in Boston. And of course that's simply not possible or sensible. If I were him and were a recent Vezina winner who'd done nothing wrong but nonetheless been firmly relegated to the backup role for the playoffs, I'd be pissed and wanting out. Friendship and the comforts of a familiar home be damned. Especially when that friend has what I want and is no longer in the mood to share it. But to each their own, seems he sees it a bit differently.

Which probably means that the parting is going to be sad but Linus is just going to have to reconcile himself to a future elsewhere. He's a pro athlete, he knows the score, so I'm sure he will eventually. I do hope though that he winds up somewhere that suits him and his family.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A few nice comments amongst the interviews but with one exception nothing particularly interesting. Which I suppose is normal. Nothing either in the way of injuries that had an impact on the playoffs specifically, apart from Heinen's. Good. Removes any temptation to get into 'would haves' or 'could haves', can't pretend that the roster doesn't have a few holes. The players did their best and just weren't quite good enough.

The only player whose interview stands out to me is Ullmark's. I know on one level he's just saying the 'right' things about his future. But I think he genuinely really wants to stay in Boston. And of course that's simply not possible or sensible. If I were him and were a recent Vezina winner who'd done nothing wrong but nonetheless been firmly relegated to the backup role for the playoffs, I'd be pissed and wanting out. Friendship and the comforts of a familiar home be damned. Especially when that friend has what I want and is no longer in the mood to share it. But to each their own, seems he sees it a bit differently.

Which probably means that the parting is going to be sad but Linus is just going to have to reconcile himself to a future elsewhere. He's a pro athlete, he knows the score, so I'm sure he will eventually. I do hope though that he winds up somewhere that suits him and his family.

@Aussie Bruin Jacobs fought for a CBA that he felt was best for the NHL overall knowing it would hurt the Bruins.

Managing the Cap is a nightmare for any GM

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Bruins are not going to overpay for Jake take that to the bank. Linus is another issue not sure what is going to happen will he accept a trade or the Bruins decide to make one run for the cup. I am happy the Progress Mason made and hopefully Matthew puts on some bulk and can play Center down the line. I think Justin can make an Impact on that 4th line.I like the Peeke and wotherspoon combo on that bottom pairing. But it will come down to what Donny pulls off in the offseason with that extra cap money.
One of your top 6 LW is 36 year old Marchand. Don't want to be depending on him
staying productive and healthy.

In 74 case The Devil you know is way better than the Devil you don't know in FA.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Keep those future 1st for Sure. I think you seen Linus back for his final run. I don’t think Jake does not Return to Boston Just a hunch . Maroon might be back for the vet minimum. Shatty did what he was asked to do nothing earthshaking. Mason got valuable experience and solidified a spot. Beecher showed some positive signs. And glad Justin showed he can play in the nhl. I think this be a big off-season for Donny and he has to get the right guys in here. No clue how he getting a true Center but this is a must. Linus is a wildcard here
Need to trade Ullmark not spend $12M on goalies.

Beecher is going to be a 4th line defensive center or at best, sub par 3L LW.
His offensive IQ is very limited.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

I have to see far more from Beecher before I am willing to call him anything more than a fringe 4th liner. With his speed and size he has two great assets, but he has to learn to use them more effectively ,soon if he wants to be anything more

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
My best guess on his NTC teams All west coast so Utah/Seattle/LA/Anahiem/SJ/Col/LV. All Canadian teams so Win/Van/Ott/Tor/Oilers /Canadians/Cal and buff. That is 15. He signed prior to bedard and hawks were trash so they were prolly 16. Seems clear he won’t waive the NTC so I guess base our trades on balance of league.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Driving to DD to get my morning iced coffee - GHS on WEEI

WEEI Wiggy & Scheim but worse the callers (probably folks here)

1. Sweeney & Neely on hot seat or should be fired
2. Get rid of everyone but Swayman
3. Get both Reinhart & Stamkos

Stopped listening after the get both stuff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Bussi has to go thru waivers but more importantly looks like could be really good

Agree on Beecher

To me there are two questions I want to see how go in next 45 days (yup that quick )

What about DeBrusk

How is Ullmark situation resolved

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad