9-5-4 22 points in 18 games. 7th in the East

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Are we great? No! Are we in almost every game all season? Yes!

What did you expect?

We are literally the 30th team in cap payroll.

We have had few injuries. Methot is a key injury... But no one else of consequence.

We are potentially in greatly difference situations if we either win or lose the next 3-4 games.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Believe it or not, even though it looks like we're overachieving... I think quite the opposite.

Karlsson only recently has been playing like the Karlsson we've come to know and we still have major injury that'll change entire set-up of our defense.

Not to mention Cowen-Ceci are getting better and better.

Zibanejad hasn't been producing much at all and Ryan has been meh. Turris and Mac have been good, not great(maybe Mac has).

Kid line only good consistent threat all season(not just them but Hoffman, Stone and Lazar).

I believe we can maintain this pace... even though some players may regress, others will improve and so on. Goaltending has won us many games but also lost us games too so it's not been lights out completely.

Methot back+ possibly another acquisition= should finish near what our position now potential playoff spot. We could also crash too but I don't think we've been playing at a high level at all to warrant that much of a crash.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Our PDO is through the roof. It won't last long.

Our PDO is being propped up by our goalies right now - our shooting percentage is about league average, so there's not much regression (if any) to be expected in that regard.

We go as our goalies go. No surprises there.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Also, we're playing an awful lot of backup goalies compared to other teams.

I've noticed this as well. Are teams just being nice to us or do they just not fear us or is it just luck of the draw?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think Ottawa is doing better than expected. You have to wonder how money spent differently on 9MM and Greening would translate, but I guess it's water under the bridge.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
We are the lowest spending team? Really? Jebus.

Man is that embarrassing/good going forward.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Just checked cap geek. "Space today" was 17m. I don't know how I feel about that, no long term commitments or albatross contracts provide organisational agility, (aye the rub) which only matter if management has strong leadership. A situation which is in flux right now and should be treated sceptically based on precedence.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

It's not always by design though... it just seems that way because of the last two games.

Chicago couldn't play their starter either game because he was hurt.
Varlamov was hurt for the Avs game.
Bobrovsky was hurt for the 2nd Jackets game.
Harding was hurt for the Wild game.

I wouldn't count Reimer because he played because he is good in Ottawa, not to give Bernier a rest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not always by design though... it just seems that way because of the last two games.

Chicago couldn't play their starter either game because he was hurt.
Varlamov was hurt for the Avs game.
Bobrovsky was hurt for the 2nd Jackets game.
Harding was hurt for the Wild game.

I wouldn't count Reimer because he played because he is good in Ottawa, not to give Bernier a rest.

To be fair, Foligno hurt mcBackup so we faced Bob in the first CBJ game even though they started their backup.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sens are doing way better then I expected. Ill enjoy the wins while waiting for the regression, if it comes.

I can see us either making the wild card or finishing in the bottom 10.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
You know what team we look like right now? Last season's Maple Leafs. The Sens are likely to impode in the same way if we can't break the puck out of our end and start getting consistent pressure on the opposition. Our goalies are very unlikely to keep this up for a full season.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
To be fair, Foligno hurt mcBackup so we faced Bob in the first CBJ game even though they started their backup.

Yup, on the flip side, some teams threw in their backup on purpose:

Columbus (one of two)
Calgary
Nashville (one of two)

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I don't think we make the playoffs once our goaltending comes back down to Earth, but no biggie, because we need a good draft.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
You know what team we look like right now? Last season's Maple Leafs. The Sens are likely to impode in the same way if we can't break the puck out of our end and start getting consistent pressure on the opposition. Our goalies are very unlikely to keep this up for a full season.

Last years maple leafs were being outshot every night with one goalie bailing them out. When one got injured thats when they collapsed.

This years senators are getting outshot every night with two goalies bailing them out.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

The facts don't really back this statement up.

Top starting goalies play ~60 games a year. We have played 18 games, so proportionally that means we should have faced backups 5 times. Maybe we have played backups 6 times or something? Not a big difference, and also as someone else mentioned this is due to injuries.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Playing well as of late, definitely finding a way to win games. It's good to get this thread in before the tough schedule next week :sarcasm:

If we can go 3-2 by next Saturday, I'll be happy.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Anyone else find that we are physically taking it to other teams in a sort of casual way?
It doesnt seem to be the team identity but i find the Sens have zero fear of any teams.

Id like that to get a little more play in the media and the narrative for the team.
We are big and for the size reasonably fast. Its a tough team IMO and i think its having an impact in these games.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This upcoming stretch until the end of the month will be interesting. We have a pretty tough schedule, and a number of back to backs. I think we'll fall down to earth, but I'm a pessimist at heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad