GDT: 9/26 Bruins 4 Detroit 3 OT - Highlights Post #176

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
I like what I saw tonight.. Detroit iced 15 of there Vets against just 8 on our side. Subban made a few very nice saves.. I am not a big fan of his but I can be if he plays as well as he did. I told you Krug played a bunch of minutes and that is a good test for him.. Bruins are 4-0 yes pre season. :)
Normally I'd say preseason results don't matter, but given how atrociously things went last year and how many new faces we're icing to start, they need to use every positive to build confidence and chemistry. Team will need to jell quickly with three big games right off the bat (at least we're not starting off on the road this time), and do it without at least one top d.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Normally I'd say preseason results don't matter, but given how atrociously things went last year and how many new faces we're icing to start, they need to use every positive to build confidence and chemistry. Team will need to jell quickly with three big games right off the bat (at least we're not starting off on the road this time), and do it without at least one top d.

The Bruins are undefeated in preseason. You know the other team that's currently undefeated - with 5 wins?

Edmonton.

Sorry to burst the bubble. But yeah, I see your point that, as long as you're keeping score, it's better to win. I'm just not too sure there's all that much correlation or carry over.

More importantly, how does the team look? From what I've seen, overall pretty good. I'm impressed with Hayes - looks great on the PP, especially on the first game. And I love the Discount Double Czech line....and I think Beleskey will eventually emerge as a contributor to the line as well (just as he emerged from a pile of teammates). Loui's doing okay with Marchand and Bergeron. And the non-Rask goaltending at least hasn't been the horror show I was bracing myself for.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
DeBrusk's skill set was on show on that play, looked real good. I can't wait for the season to start, I know its the pre season...but the Bs, even with so many youngsters, are playing very slick hockey.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
That was a pretty nice rush and net drive for DeBrusk in the highlights. Very smooth and effortless. He looks like a natural sniper.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
After reading a few posts saying Detroit should beat us easily, I hope the Bruins adopt the "Us against the world" attitude and prove people wrong.

Their roster of vets were outplayed by the young Bruins team which to me, shows that we aren't as some think and the future is bright.

I may be in the minority but you can't count this team out.

CrazyEights

Apr 18, 2015
After reading a few posts saying Detroit should beat us easily, I hope the Bruins adopt the "Us against the world" attitude and prove people wrong.

Their roster of vets were outplayed by the young Bruins team which to me, shows that we aren't as some think and the future is bright.

That's what I've been thinking lately as well. That this team can surprise a lot of people and being the underdog for once might serve them well.

It's going to be a very different team from last year's one and that is a good thing.

That's why I cringe everytime I see Haggerty or someone else say, that the Bs won't make the playoffs this year. Because:

1) it's too early to tell
2) even though the team may not look as good on paper, they seem to be slowly finding some chemistry (some quicker than others) and if they find the right line combos early, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be a threat to other teams (intangibles, hello?)
3) healthy Krejci - I can't stress this enough, if he can stay healthy, he's going to be a beast
4) full year of Pasta

I could probably list a few more reasons, why I think that this team stands a chance this season. And I won't accept loser talk, certainly not this early. I'm not saying they won't be a bubble team or that it'll be easy for them to get into the playoffs, but I refuse to give up on this team when they have yet to play their first regular season game.

Ugh, rant over. Carry on. :D

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Subban strong in net in win over Red Wings
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/26/bnotes/Pveao5hYrwcN0yHdMaoLYO/story.html

DETROIT — The athleticism is evident. The question now is whether the rest of Malcolm Subban’s game measures up, whether he’s ready to take on a backup role at the NHL level.

Subban got a full 60 minutes — plus 1:58 of overtime — in Saturday night’s 4-3 Bruins’ win over the Red Wings, demonstrating the abilities he can bring in the crease. He stopped 18 of 21 shots, allowing a power-play goal to Henrik Zetterberg and even-strength goals to Tomas Tatar and Jakub Kindl.

“Overall, he made some big saves,†Bruins coach ClaudeJulien said, qualifying that he wanted to go back over the videotape to see if Subban could have been in better position on the goals he allowed. “There was a lot of traffic in front of him tonight and that’s one thing he had to do, he had to battle through traffic. They always have a guy in front and it makes it hard for the goaltender to se those pucks.â€

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's what I've been thinking lately as well. That this team can surprise a lot of people and being the underdog for once might serve them well.

It's going to be a very different team from last year's one and that is a good thing.

That's why I cringe everytime I see Haggerty or someone else say, that the Bs won't make the playoffs this year. Because:

1) it's too early to tell
2) even though the team may not look as good on paper, they seem to be slowly finding some chemistry (some quicker than others) and if they find the right line combos early, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be a threat to other teams (intangibles, hello?)
3) healthy Krejci - I can't stress this enough, if he can stay healthy, he's going to be a beast
4) full year of Pasta

I could probably list a few more reasons, why I think that this team stands a chance this season. And I won't accept loser talk, certainly not this early. I'm not saying they won't be a bubble team or that it'll be easy for them to get into the playoffs, but I refuse to give up on this team when they have yet to play their first regular season game.

Ugh, rant over. Carry on. :D

I agree with number 1.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the Bruins have always played best when they have something to prove so being coubted out may be a good thing.

I also think the roster changes will bring something else-hunger to win. Last season this team seemed to lack hunger and some players just seemed to have given up on trying. The kids and new players hopefully change that.

Pre season wins arent super meaningful in the long run but with so many new players it at least will bring some confidence. Plus a good preseason with a wiining record is better than a losing one.

Pasta and Krejci seem to be gelling and thats good for the regular season.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
Subban seems to be out of position quite often. He's going to give Clode (and us) fits if he is ever called up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I hope we go into the season with the attitude of no one is going to outwork us like Krug said yesterday.

The kids look better than the vets . Which I guess is a good thing when fighting for spots .

That has been great to watch, just have to hope we keep our words and give the spots to those who truly deserve them.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Ferlin impressed me last season and he's impressing me now.

Would much prefer him getting a shot on the fourth line to Rinaldo or Talbot.

Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad