GDT: 9/11/20 - 8:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #6 New York Islanders [ECF Game 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He had one mistake that ended up in the net after the Minor he was called for. Weak clearing attempt, turned it over and we paid. He was fine other than that. He's a rookie and our mistakes fed the Islanders all night. More patience and better puck management and we'll be just fine. The Islanders are a counter-punching team. We have to limit our mistakes and thus limit their chances to counter-punch.

Good sign? Cirelli on that top line was still dangerous. Still not a replacement for Point, not many are. But they were terrorizing the Islanders.

I think Verhaeghe might be more of a threat on that top line than the current version of Cirelli. Any other center, with the type of space Kuch/Palat create, would get more touches than this ghost of Cirelli we're seeing. And I mean, yeah, he's gradually getting his legs back, but something is still very, very wrong there. He's completely lost the ability to pounce.

This is one area where the "next man up" mentality hurts us, because Cooper will stick with it even if the next man up is a shadow of what he usually is. The only time Cirelli's remotely effective is when he's parked in place and tipping pucks.

Last edited:

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
McDonagh's turnover on that GWG was awful. Chance to go up 3-1 this Sunday!

It was soooo bad. He's been playing really well so you can't fault him for making a mistake. It's just the mistake could not have been more egregious (he literally could have skated the puck out or sent it out in any other direction) and could not have been worse timing.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
McDonagh literally could have iced it or even shot the puck over the glass and it would've been better, lol.

Reactions: JFleegs

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I waited over night before I posted about last nights game so I could give my perspective. I said before the game that they should of played Tyler Johnson with Kuch, and Palat to form the triplets line. Instead Cooper played Cirelli on that line and he did nothing. I know Tyler has not been great at times But Cooper didn't see that Tyler was playing like old Tyler last night. So Cooper plays him 10:59 last night less than Maroon, and The two players that dressed do to injuries. I will say coaching cost them this game as Cooper continues to over play players that are not going that night. My opinion is he has moved Tyler around from line to line every night he has ruined him as a player. Jon Cooper wins because he has great players it has nothing to do with his coaching.

Reactions: GeneseeScreamer

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I waited over night before I posted about last nights game so I could give my perspective. I said before the game that they should of played Tyler Johnson with Kuch, and Palat to form the triplets line. Instead Cooper played Cirelli on that line and he did nothing. I know Tyler has not been great at times But Cooper didn't see that Tyler was playing like old Tyler last night. So Cooper plays him 10:59 last night less than Maroon, and The two players that dressed do to injuries. I will say coaching cost them this game as Cooper continues to over play players that are not going that night. My opinion is he has moved Tyler around from line to line every night he has ruined him as a player. Jon Cooper wins because he has great players it has nothing to do with his coaching.
We're not in 2015 bud.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

johnson is a Center watch a team trade for him in October and put him as a second line Center and his career will be back on track again

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Btw guys it's wrong to say that the McDonagh turnover cost us the win.
Because nobody can guarantee that, without that mistake, we would have won the game.
Who knows...maybe we would have scored again or, maybe, we would have lost the game in OT...really, who knows.
The truth, imho, is that the McDonagh turnover wasted our chances to win the game.
(Glass half full ---> mode on).

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think Verhaeghe might be more of a threat on that top line than the current version of Cirelli. Any other center, with the type of space Kuch/Palat create, would get more touches than this ghost of Cirelli we're seeing. And I mean, yeah, he's gradually getting his legs back, but something is still very, very wrong there. He's completely lost the ability to pounce.

This is one area where the "next man up" mentality hurts us, because Cooper will stick with it even if the next man up is a shadow of what he usually is. The only time Cirelli's remotely effective is when he's parked in place and tipping pucks.

I think Verhaeghe is more of a threat than this useless version of Killer. That said we would never bench Killer

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not the least bit upset we lost. I was prepared for that possibility all day. But as for this "getting hurt all the time" shit? I've had enough. I don't even know what the word is for it. Can you be so fed up with something and yet be in complete awe of it?

Just for the hell of it, I took time to recap important injuries at the time of our eliminations. Take a moment and digest it

2013: Bishop hurt before playoffs start Stamkos is on the mend for a broken leg and looks bad
2014: Bishop and Johnson hurt just in time to lose the Cup and I know Kucherov got really banged up in that net collision
2015: Bishop hurt AGAIN, Stralman is as at like 30% by the ECF and Stamkos misses the whole run minus ECF game 7
2016: Tampacuse jokes all year and we miss the playoffs by a point
2017: Probably our healthiest run and yet Palat and McDonagh are so banged up they're borderline bad at times
2018: Hedman gets a concussion, Stralman hurt again, Vasy with an LBI, Point has a hip problem -embarrassing sweep ensues
2019: By the time we get to game 3 of the ECF we've basically played 2 full games without Point, Stamkos and Killorn

There's "Every team deals with injuries" and then there's whatever the hell THIS is. I have never in my life heard of a team that's been this unlucky this many times in such a short period. The Gods have shown us absolutely no mercy

For the love of God we all thought for a brief, terrifying moment we were gonna lose Hedman because he fell over without anyone touching. That's how bad it is

Edit: Fabio with the clutch "Point had a hip problem" recollection
The team is cursed

Even with the 6 months off everyone got we should have been at full strength for the first since 2015.... then Stammer, something wrong with Cirelli, now Point.

The hockey gods hate us. It's getting ridiculous at this point

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The team is cursed

Even with the 6 months off everyone got we should have been at full strength for the first since 2015.... then Stammer, something wrong with Cirelli, now Point.

The hockey gods hate us. It's getting ridiculous at this point
Yeah, but they also gave us Hedman. So we played a game with half our top six and looked like the better team. In the ECF no less.

Point will be back. Cirelli might heal up enough to be effective. Stamkos... Well, f*** it, we can get by without him.

We can beat the Isles even with the roster we iced last night.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
yeah I love seeing the resiliency displayed by this team night after night even when we make some shit turnovers. To come back down 3-1 in the 3rd against a strong defensive structured team like the NYI is saying a lot. It is just too bad they couldn't finish them and ended up finishing themselves.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gotta disagree with you there. Kucherov started the scrum at the end of game by needlessly slashing the guy as he is scoring the empty net goal. And then Kucherov was the guy running and hiding. Not the first time he has done that.
I'm not really a fan of Komarov but I think he is tougher than Kucherov, not near as cheap either.

Running and hiding? He was about to beat the shit out of Pagaeu until the refs stepped in and saved his life.

Reactions: PJ817 and Master P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kuch just handing out receipts from all the hacks and slashes that jabroni Pageau was giving to Kuch all night

This is exactly what happens. The difference is Kucherov will do it when every camera in the building is on him, and the ref is looking right at him.

I don't like when Kuch crosses a line like we saw last year. But giving a little bit back at the end of a night? I'd rather him do that than just take it, really. He gives as good as he gets, and the more players know that, the better.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
You guys should happy you are up in this series because the Islanders were the better team in game 2 and probably should have won that game.
But we were the better team in game 3 and we lost.
So maybe being up 3-0 does not show what happened on the ice, but also being down 2-1 is not the right result.

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

Multipass

Oct 30, 2014
I get the frustration with Kuch letting his emotions get the best of him and doing dumb shit sometimes. But I am giving him a pass on this one. Guys were taking nasty runs at him all game, including Pageau who wacked him good in the face. If he wants to get his two pence with a little slash after the game is over so be it. It's hockey.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I get the frustration with Kuch letting his emotions get the best of him and doing dumb shit sometimes. But I am giving him a pass on this one. Guys were taking nasty runs at him all game, including Pageau who wacked him good in the face. If he wants to get his two pence with a little slash after the game is over so be it. It's hockey.

That’s my take on it as well. He was ready to fight after the slash, so it’s not a bitch move in my eyes.

I’d rather he does it at the end of game 3 than in the beginning of any game (or to actually fight and be off the ice for extended period of time).

If the Islanders really took the slash hard, they are all in the same hotel and can fight at any time between now and game 4.

Reactions: Multipass

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah I was gonna add taht too, I'm pretty sure Kucherov was up in Pagaeu's face until the refs got between them. Running and hiding? lol

The only player who's been running and hiding is Barzal. He looks like a figure skater out there, skating(running) around in circles in the offensive zone without doing anything. It would be nice to see a triple sow cow every once in awhile. And he's hiding on the scoresheet, couple of measly secondary assists.

Reactions: DFC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad