3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hajek looked great least year before we started holding him accountable and getting him to do the non-negotiable things.

Pionk has been great for Winnipeg.

Something has gone sour in this organization. It can't be every player.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Exactly.

This is why I'm talking about structure coming before effort.

Guys aren't going to bust ass for you if they don't believe in what you're asking them to do.

I haven't seen anything from Quinn that inspires confidence. It's chickens without their heads just like late AV was.

Ok, so the left side is rancid, but frankly, the right side of our defense is one of the better ones in the NHL. There's no reason they should be this bad defensively.

The Oilers came in and played a decent defensive structure with one good center and an even worse defense than we have.
Defense is a 5-man unit.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

effen

Feb 3, 2018
So you think every defenseman to play for this team since October 2015 has individually decided they will almost never step up at the line?

Seems realistic.
Is this random ranting or is there a villain for this you have in mind? I dont think Quinn mastered space and time (yet!)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is this random ranting or is there a villain for this you have in mind? I dont think Quinn mastered space and time (yet!)
I don't know who the villain is but there's clearly problems here and it can't be every player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We've chosen to believe that multiple players over multiple seasons have character issues instead of questioning the people running the team.

Like @Oscar Lindberg said last night, at what point is the organization left holding the bag?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our veteran forwards are pretty good defensively.

There's no excuse for this. They're literally a 40% possession team.
Panarin and Zibanejad. What about the other 10 forwards?

This is a young team with a weak forward group that has played a small sample size of games with a ghastly schedule. There are a plethora of valid reasons available for anyone interested in avoiding the oldest sports cliche of all time, aka blaming the coach for everything.

Reactions: The S5

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Exactly.

This is why I'm talking about structure coming before effort.

Guys aren't going to bust ass for you if they don't believe in what you're asking them to do.

I haven't seen anything from Quinn that inspires confidence. It's chickens without their heads just like late AV was.

Ok, so the left side is rancid, but frankly, the right side of our defense is one of the better ones in the NHL. There's no reason they should be this bad defensively.

The Oilers came in and played a decent defensive structure with one good center and an even worse defense than we have.

um hello have you seen that tire fire D the jets roll out nightly ??

they've won 6 games.

Reactions: Machinehead

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Something has gone sour in this organization. It can't be every player.

This is the thing. I refuse to believe every one of our players is this clueless and everyone one of our top prospects (considered the best prospect pool in the NHL by EVERYBODY, NHL insiders and HF nerds alike)actually aren't very good. Look at the common denominator(s).

Its impossible to prove obviously but I would bet Kakko would be doing really well on nearly any other team right now.

Reactions: Machinehead

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Like this board wants to let the rookies run wild but also wants to see tight defensive structure every night. It’s absurd.
The absurd part is the refusal to recognize that they have two rookies, one sophomore, one vet who is running on fumes and one player who is woefully miscast as a top- 3 defenseman. Bring in Jacques Lemaire and he could not make it work with such a base.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Like this board wants to let the rookies run wild but also wants to see tight defensive structure every night. It’s absurd.
That's not true at all.

I want the kids to do well. I don't care if they lose right now and frankly, I don't really care about defense. Neither do most of the elite players in this league aside from a handful.

I don't want our kids getting benched and called out while we're flat and giving up 7 goals anyway. It's one or the other.

If we're gonna flip our lids over Kakko and Kravtsov not buying in and not competing, then why isn't anyone else doing it?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This is the thing. I refuse to believe every one of our players is this clueless and everyone one of our top prospects (considered the best prospect pool in the NHL by EVERYBODY, NHL insiders and HF nerds alike)actually aren't very good. Look at the common denominator(s).

Its impossible to prove obviously but I would bet Kakko would be doing really well on nearly any other team right now.

Oh come on with this.

The Rangers have been a relatively well run team for going on a decade now.

There might be something they are doing wrong currently but let's not go crazy.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yeah and they made Pionk good. Amazing stuff.
Something like this is a real indictment on the organization IMO. We can talk all day about usage and whatever but Pionk couldn't get out of his own way for 100 games in a Ranger uniform, now he's doing a good job in Winnipeg playing with Ville Heinola and Carl Dahlstrom.

Doesn't add up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Something like this is a real indictment on the organization IMO. We can talk all day about usage and whatever but Pionk couldn't get out of his own way for 100 games in a Ranger uniform, now he's doing a good job in Winnipeg playing with Ville Heinola and Carl Dahlstrom.

Doesn't add up.
I know it's cliche to blame the coach for everything but if not him, who?

Is it Ruff? Is it Gorton? Is it the AHL staff?

It's not the players. They nuked the whole roster. And again, they're rebuilding, but this isn't about losing games. It's about lack of progress on an individual level. If they were 0-9 but Kakko had 9 points, I'd be thrilled.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I know it's cliche to blame the coach for everything but if not him, who?

Is it Ruff? Is it Gorton? Is it the AHL staff?

It's not the players. They nuked the whole roster. And again, they're rebuilding, but this isn't about losing games. It's about lack of progress on an individual level. If they were 0-9 but Kakko had 9 points, I'd be thrilled.
Who the hell knows. It's not all on the coach either, obviously the roster isn't good and it is young but I can't remember a team that was worse at the simple things in hockey like making and recieving passes, protecting the puck along the walls and winning 50/50 pucks. I don't have any numbers to back it up but I would guess the Rangers lose 75% of the puck battles on the ice, that's how it seems anyway.

Like you I am not all that concerned about wins and losses but the process is just awful right now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who the hell knows. It's not all on the coach either, obviously the roster isn't good and it is young but I can't remember a team that was worse at the simple things in hockey like making and recieving passes, protecting the puck along the walls and winning 50/50 pucks. I don't have any numbers to back it up but I would guess the Rangers lose 75% of the puck battles on the ice, that's how it seems anyway.

Like you I am not all that concerned about wins and losses but the process is just awful right now.
And we'll attribute losing those battles to effort but it's anyone actually teaching them positioning or puck support?

Are we teaching Howden to use his size and speed to make plays or are we continuing to reward him for sprinting around the ice at random and not playing a position?

You can't exactly quantify it, but this seems like a very poorly coached team. It's actually more important for this team than for a competitive team.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Preach brother.
It's almost as if there are people posting here who don't really understand how the game is played.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So if every player is bad then it's Gorton's fault. At some point, we have to hold the New York Rangers accountable which is the thing nobody wants to do.
I'm okay with that. Seems to be a problem with teams playing at the Garden. So, how do you fix it? Mark Messier only comes around once in a generation.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
brady skjei hasnt just gotten worse. hes gotten worser. thats bad.

hes like a young vet guy who was supposed to take the next step. hes taken no steps. hes flat out awful. why do i believe if he played for the piles, he would be like +7 right now ?

this defense gives up scoring chances like a college freshman. we arent out shot, we are embarrased by the other team biotch slapping us. its like a shooting gallery and we can t even answer back.

we dont really play defense. we back up. we collapse. we give ground. we never stand up at the blue line and we always leave the net mouth open for business.

the entire defense- yes including the forwards too, just caves in and allows our opponent to over run us.

there is no system other than bend, survive, chip it off the glass and run around playing "stevie wonder" man to man.

fire everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad