Prospect Info: 8th IceHogs, Fuel, NCAA/Jr./Int'l Prospects thread - Offseason in Rockford

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
No, not the only way but you take it out of the game and you have a blase product. Ever watch an All-Star game?

All-Star games are awful because guys are not trying.

The only guy on the Hawks D that plays the body at all is Seabrook, and he only does it occasionally. Are the Hawks blase to watch?

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Rockford is shaping up to be way more interesting next season. After being almost devoid of prospects this season they figure to have some combo of
DeBrincat, Highmore, Hayden, Motte, Knott, Fortin, Sikura, Louis, Bondra, Baun up front and Forsling, Dahlstrom, Snuggerud, Norell on the back end.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Rockford is shaping up to be way more interesting next season. After being almost devoid of prospects this season they figure to have some combo of
DeBrincat, Highmore, Hayden, Motte, Knott, Fortin, Sikura, Louis, Bondra, Baun up front and Forsling, Dahlstrom, Snuggerud, Norell on the back end.

god bless. This season has been rough.

Luke Johnson is an intriguing prospect

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Just in time for your podcast/blog:handclap:

Johnson doesn't skate well enough for me, which is unfortunate because I think he has the hockey IQ.

Wooo!!!!

He isn't super speedy but has really good positioning. I will be more interested in seeing him next season after a full year in the AHL and a summer of training.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He is actually very very Competent and can rub guys off pucks..Unlike anyone we currently have on defense. ALSO does not lose his stick as our Hawks d-men consistently do ...nor break his stick on stick-checks like sp many of our d-men do..In other words Competent in defending
..such that when he is on the goalie on for his team is not going to see many shots fired at him nor have to stop way to many grade A scoring chances...in other words..Q will not like him..too Competent in defending .Not soft for Q....Uses body not "quick stick"...stick does not get dropped out of the blue or break on a check (when you rub guys out with the body and holdup you do not have to worry about lost or broken sticks and essentially being out -manned which is the opposite of competence.

Yep, our D is incompetent.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I'd be lying if I said that diddn't worry me a bit. We should be pretty loaded at the wing position when he's looking to sign an NHL deal. Could see him leaving for greener pastures.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I'd be lying if I said that diddn't worry me a bit. We should be pretty loaded at the wing position when he's looking to sign an NHL deal. Could see him leaving for greener pastures.

In that case trade his rights at the draft for a first rounder ..if he is so coveted ,a team with a scoring wing need may do it convinced he will sign with them for a spit waiting for them.

Hey..I woukd give up rights to Sikura AND our first rounder IF we coukd move up this draft and get Nick Suzuki (also a RW) ..the difference is that Suzuki is a 200 ft player and I think given his finish after Top Prospects Game till end of 9HL regular season ,he looks like the best and safest see thing in this draft . I THINK he is the very best of this draft ... no flaws unless you move him to Center which he can play well except for faceoffs (that darn bugaboo again).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Doesn't exist. Ask Kayes and the ring he doesn't have.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The problem with these college kids is when they play for good college teams. They are playing in the tournament and don't have enough time to get there NHL game or two in to burn a year off their contract at the end. Sikura's team... eh.

See Hayden's situation compared to the Hayes situation.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sikura did not make Craig Button's Top 50 draftees not yet in the NHL list (cane out Feb.21st)..but his Northeastern team-mate,Soph. Adam Guadette (Van) did.

I think Gaudette will be Sikura's center next season as he was a lot if this season at Northeastern..so one might speculate Sikura may go Ufa to join Gaudette in VAN after the coming season because probably after a good year together Gaudette leaves after his Junior year to join the Canucks ..So the linemates could stay together as a duo and surely Van will have open spios for them at that time .

Just speculating on my part but it is a left fear ..so rather than lose him for nothing ,we should explore the idea if trading his rights to get a 2018 pick ...perhaps another team who is contending has a more attractive opportunity to challenge for a Cup and a top six wing spot for him that is more enticing than probably a bottom feeder Vancouver situation. .So maybe by mid-season next year we find such a destination for him that would appeal more than merely going to VAN with no chance while re-building just to sta with his colkege center?

In any case the appeal to play in Rockford probably is not going to get him signed for us ..

Had hecdigned here with us ...Maybe a spot opens due to cap turnover (Panik out prices himself if he does not accept home discount bridge deal and even if he does it still might be too expensive to retain him ) ..But as to "ready " issue. .I think Sikura still needs his Sr. Year to get a bit more muscle on before he turns pro ...he should be "ready" for the pros after this coming season..Had hecdigned with us he probably needed a year in Rockford anyway to muscle up some more before the show.

BTW ...the Button Top 50 draftees not yet in NHL as of Feb 21st 2017 ...he either discounted all college Seniors who were drafted not yet in tge NHL by that time ...or thought that if they did not sign by after Jr. Year they were not worthy ..because John Hayden at that time was still unsigned and was not in the top 50 ..and yet..here we are ..he is a top line player for us and already producing a point a game for his first 3 GP ..I guess if there are 50 better they will all produce at a better pace than a point a game ..but a point a game is 82 ..do that and you are an $8 million or more player.So I guess Button thinks the forwards in his top 50 are gonna do that?

BUT actually how do we know Hayden can't IF he stays on the line sand meshes with Toews and if Panik stays and keeps developing ias an offensive force?

One never knows why lines click or who comes with unexpected production.But should it continue as Hayden benefits from Toews -Panik and they benefit from him ..then 1. Button looks like a fool for missing Hayden off the list abd 2.How the Hell do we pay and keep the line going when Panik and Hayden needctongetvre-uppedvfrom from RFA on next contracts?

In a Cap world.. success causes problems ..And so hard to keep a top six together. .especially with the added issue of the Hossa contract for a 3rd-4th liner the next 4 more years.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

It's foolish to think Chicago is the only desirable destination in the entire league for a player to land, not to mention false. It's also a lot more complex than simply "where can I get a ring?"

Agree with Blue Liner. Kevin Hayes has done quite well for himself. An east coast boy stayed on the east coast. Surprising. Many factors go into team choice.

Didn't need him in 2015 to win. That said, he would have been great for us last year, and this year even better.;) There was definitely a spot for him on the team should he have chosen the Hawks.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Agree with Blue Liner. Kevin Hayes has done quite well for himself. An east coast boy stayed on the east coast. Surprising. Many factors go into team choice.

Didn't need him in 2015 to win. That said, he would have been great for us last year, and this year even better.;) There was definitely a spot for him on the team should he have chosen the Hawks.

I can think of worse things than living and playing hockey in Manhattan in a historic building for a historic franchise that's competitive and closer to home and family that had a greater chance for playing opportunity.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The same goes for how green various pastures are.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

As far as opportunities go there are far greener pastures as a winger. Most young guys aren't worried about coming in and winning a cup right away. The important thing is being put in a situation where they can establish themselves as NHL players as soon as possible.

And fiddy - UFA college prospects rarely go sign with their college teammates. If they go UFA they're looking for a team they can step in to right away. Not saying van isn't that team but there will be quite a few more suitors if he goes Ufa.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I was sort of trolling with my doesn't exist comment. Of course I think the Hawks are one of the best orgs as far as developing talent but obviously Sikura is free to make that judgement for himself and evaluate the org that will give him the best chance to make the show.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/3/14/14923934/wouter-peeters-blackhawk-prospect-ato-rockford-ahl-2017

Hi sabres fan here, but seeing you guys drafter the first true belgian player last year in wouter peeters I thought I'd ask you guys about him a bit.
Saw he signed an ATO with the hogs, won't play a game, but a bit surprised he is your #1 goalie prospect in the hawks system according to this article.

Would appreciate any feedback you guys have on him :D

Here is our thread on WP.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/3/14/14923934/wouter-peeters-blackhawk-prospect-ato-rockford-ahl-2017

Hi sabres fan here, but seeing you guys drafter the first true belgian player last year in wouter peeters I thought I'd ask you guys about him a bit.
Saw he signed an ATO with the hogs, won't play a game, but a bit surprised he is your #1 goalie prospect in the hawks system according to this article.

Would appreciate any feedback you guys have on him :D

He is our ONLY goalie prospect..the few others are more suspects..Which is why Stan has gotta start draft g more goalies ...we are either going to lose Darling to Ufa or they trade Crawford for a haul of picks and cao savings if Darling re-sign at a big hone town discount (eg. $2 million or more less than the Crawford cap hit of $6 million per year)...Either way we are going to be perilously thin in goalie depth till Stan starts filling that cupboard. .IF we had ready prospects in net to be a vack-up in the show they could be groomed till the Crawford contract is up several years on yet..Or we could groom them ready to start 3-4 yearscout after say Darling is our #1 next year (at a big discount off the Crawfirdbprice) and signed gor 3 or 4 years.Point is it takes a goalie longer to be ready for the show after getting drafted st 18 ..sp you gotta fill that goalie cupboard and wait as they develop. GET enough depth at the position of goalie and hope 1 of them emerges to the level he can give you .920 to .930 save% in the show.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Nalimov is only 22. I've never seen him play but he has been a starter in the KHL at a young age. He puts up inconsistent numbers, but that is not unusual for a goalie in their early 20s, especially when he isn't playing for one of the top Russian teams. Seems way too early to write him off.

Just look at recent Hawks goalies. Crawford, Darling and Niemi didn't become NHL goalies until they were 26. Turco became an NHL goalie at 25. Raanta was 24 and wasn't good until he was 25. Emery was 23. Carter Hutton and Cristobal Huet didn't make it until they were 28.

If the Hawks start drafting goalies now it isn't likely to matter until 4+ years down the road. Obviously they need to restock the pipeline, but it isn't something that drafting alone is going to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad