Robot City
Montreal Royals:

Manager - Dick Williams

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Darrell Porter | SP1: Satchel Paige (R) | 1. Tris Speaker (L)
1B: Johnny Mize | SP2: Carl Hubbell (L) | 2. Craig Biggio (R)
2B: Craig Biggio | SP3: Stan Coveleski (R) | 3. Frank Robinson (R)
3B: Ken Boyer | SP4: Jim Kaat (L) | 4. Johnny Mize (L)
SS: Alan Trammell | SP5: Ted Lyons (R) | 5. Albert Belle (R)
LF: Albert Belle | Long1: Roy Oswalt (R) | 6. Ken Boyer (R)
CF: Tris Speaker | Mid1: Darren O'Day (R) | 7. Darrell Porter (L)
RF: Frank Robinson | Mid2: Mike Stanton (L) | 8. Alan Trammell (R)
Bench: Kenny Lofton (OF) | Short1: Jeff Reardon (R) | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Bobby Abreu (OF) | Short2: Tug McGraw (L)
Bench: Ben Zobrist (2B/SS/OF) | Closer: Dennis Eckersley (R)
Bench: Bill Freehan (C) |
Bench: Darrell Evans (3B/1B) |
Bench: Orlando Cepeda (1B) |

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Pittsburgh Pirates:

Manager: Chuck Tanner

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Roy Campanella | SP1: Warren Spahn (L) | 1. Richie Ashburn (L)
1B: Lou Gehrig | SP2: Juan Marichal (R) | 2. Paul Molitor (R)
2B: Billy Herman | SP3: Kevin Brown (R) | 3. Lou Gehrig (L)
3B: Paul Molitor | SP4: Zack Greinke (R) | 4. Vladimir Guerrero (R)
SS: Pop Lloyd | SP5: Jon Matlack (L) | 5. Willie Stargell (L)
LF: Willie Stargell | Long1: Teddy Higuera (L) | 6. Pop Lloyd (L)
CF: Richie Ashburn | Mid1: Rick Aguilera (R) | 7. Roy Campanella (R)
RF: Vladimir Guerrero | Mid2: Terry Forster (L) | 8. Billy Herman (R)
Bench: Minnie Minoso (OF/3B) | Short1: Koji Uehara (R) | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Lenny Dykstra (OF) | Short2: Randy Myers (L)
Bench: Jimmy Dykes (INF) | Closer: Kent Tekulve (R)
Bench: Russell Martin (C) |
Bench: Charlie Keller (OF) |
Bench: Babe Herman (1B/OF) |

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm going to go out of the box here and against this heavy RHP rotation, I will platoon Bobby Abreu for Albert Belle in those matchups. Abreu's OBP vs RHP is a career .408, along with a .508 SLG%, so I am comfortable with him hitting 5th. This will also help on the defensive side as Abreu is a better fielder and this Pirates lineup has some pop, there will be a good amount of balls hit to the outfield. Frank Robinson will play LF as he had 834 games there, Abreu will take his spot in the RF.

I will also switch Mize and Robinson in the batting order against RHP so I have a lefty following Biggio (Mize has a career .412 OBP against RHP).

Hopefully my boys see the ball better in this series after conquering the three headed rotation of Young-Ford-Seaver. This is a really good lineup though. Good luck to the Pirates!

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
A heavyweight matchup to say the least....off we go

Prior to Game 1 Dick Williams and Chuck Tanner reminisced about the photos on their 1983 Topps cards. Williams called his "stately" while Tanner steadfastly argued his was much much more stately. You can find these and decide for yourself which photo is most stately. Paige and Spahn embarked on a lengthy pitchers duel which ended when Paige helped himself by singling home Alan Trammell in the bottom of the 9th to walk it off.

Game 2 saw Carl Hubbell flummox the Pirates bats specifically Lou Gehrig who considered himself not so fortunate to have to face that nasty screwball. The Royals squeaked out another close victory by the score of 3-1.

Game 3 moved to Pittsburgh and the Pirates bats might have just needed a change of scenery to alter the series. Pops Stargell and Pop Lloyd popped a homerun each and munched on popcorn in between innings as the Pirates ran away and hid by the final of 8-2.

In Game 4, Zack Greinke earned his ATD stripes by limiting the Royals offense to 2 runs over 7 innings en route to a 5-2 Pirates win and a series tie.

In Game 5, Tris Speaker tallied 8 total bases and Johnny Mize homered and drove in 4 as the Royals took the series lead in a pivotal game 5 by the count of 5-1.

In Game 6, this time it was Marichal getting the best of Hubbell as the Pirates hurler struck out 9 Royals and Paul Molitor banged out 3 hits. When the dust settled the series was tied on the back of a 6-0 Pirates win.

Montreal was the scene for a frantic Game 7 as Pirates manager Chuck Tanner created a straw poll to gain support for his 1983 Topps picture. Dick Williams, more concerned with the game at hand, had his Twitter account hacked and voted for Tanner. In the game itself, Vladimir Guerrero jumped and hit a ball a foot over his head, tomahawking it into CF for a single. Gehrig scored from 2nd and the Pirates took a 1-0 lead into the 8th. Montreal tied the game on an Albert Belle RBI double but Pop Lloyd's homerun to lead off the 9th off Dennis Eckersley was the difference as Tekulve nailed down the 9th.

Congrats guys, awesome series.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good series Pirates!

Disappointed I lost but that's a good lineup. Good luck in the pennant fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad