OT: 88th Obsequious Banter Thread: Starts with incredible optimism; ends with the same disappointment

If trees were made of flesh instead of wood, would we still soak pancakes in their blood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
emma-raducanu.gif

giphy.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
2nd happiest people in the world, according to the World Happiness Report:

Happiness, trust, and deaths under COVID-19

Finland is first but Danish is much easier to learn than Finnish.

And Copenhagen is twice the city Helsinki is.

Hopefully I will be back there in a few months. Have an opportunity coming up.

Just a very liveable place. Amazing civic spaces, good pay, fantastic public services, super clean, great transport... stuff happening every day. You can swim in the city centre, safely, clean water etc. Just awesome.

If it were not for the winters... I would say it was the city I would want to live in in future. But alas, while summer is amazing everything kind of dies down from October to February as the wind, rain, snow, ice and cold mean it is hard to do much outdoors. Though that is same for most of Northern Europe.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
And Copenhagen is twice the city Helsinki is.

Hopefully I will be back there in a few months. Have an opportunity coming up.

Just a very liveable place. Amazing civic spaces, good pay, fantastic public services, super clean, great transport... stuff happening every day. You can swim in the city centre, safely, clean water etc. Just awesome.

If it were not for the winters... I would say it was the city I would want to live in in future. But alas, while summer is amazing everything kind of dies down from October to February as the wind, rain, snow, ice and cold mean it is hard to do much outdoors. Though that is same for most of Northern Europe.

Well, living as I do in Maine, none of that sounds too bad.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Im not sure if this is near you at all, but any recommendations for the Portland area, in terms of things to do or food?

I live right outside Portland. If you visit you will want to head down to the Old Port, that's the waterfront area. Pretty much all the shopping and restaurants are in that area. You can also stroll along the waterfront and gawk at the boats. Freeport is about 30 minutes north of Portland, right up I-295. Definitely worth a visit- tons of shopping and some good eating.

If you're looking for some local flavor I can recommend Sweetster's Orchard in Cumberland- great selection of apples and stuff made with apples (cider, pies, tarts, etc). Also Toots Ice Cream on Rt 115 in Yarmouth. It's a dairy farm (you can visit the animals) and they make their own ice cream. Excellent.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I live right outside Portland. If you visit you will want to head down to the Old Port, that's the waterfront area. Pretty much all the shopping and restaurants are in that area. You can also stroll along the waterfront and gawk at the boats. Freeport is about 30 minutes north of Portland, right up I-295. Definitely worth a visit- tons of shopping and some good eating.

If you're looking for some local flavor I can recommend Sweetster's Orchard in Cumberland- great selection of apples and stuff made with apples (cider, pies, tarts, etc). Also Toots Ice Cream on Rt 115 in Yarmouth. It's a dairy farm (you can visit the animals) and they make their own ice cream. Excellent.

Appreciate it! Any recos on a 'nice' restaurant? The wife and I were supposed to go to a wedding next week in NOLA, but the venue got wrecked in the hurricane so it got cancelled. Going to do a little NE roadtrip instead.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Appreciate it! Any recos on a 'nice' restaurant? The wife and I were supposed to go to a wedding next week in NOLA, but the venue got wrecked in the hurricane so it got cancelled. Going to do a little NE roadtrip instead.

That's such a bummer :(

I could have given you a ton of great recommendations for Nawlins too

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I can give you some recommendations of places I like, I don't go out much these days and when I do it's usually when family is visiting so we generally go to "family" type restaurants. That said:

Benkay Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar in Portland. Very good Japanese food. Benkay Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar: Portland, Maine

Royal River Grill in Yarmouth. Good food, nice setting right on the river by the boatyard. Yarmouth is in between Portland and Freeport. Royal River Grill House

Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro in Freeport. Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro

For more upscale places I can give you two, I haven't been to either but I'd be pretty confident that the food will be good. In Portland there is DiMillo's, right down in the heart of the Old Port. I believe this is one of the "must go to" places in Portland, specializing in seafood. You might need reservations. https://www.dimillos.com

The other place is the White Barn Inn, in Kennebunkport (about 40 minutes south of Portland). My niece actually works at the hotel and my understanding is they have two restaurants there- one VERY nice, the other just very nice. I think I'm the only one in my immediate family that hasn't been there yet but everyone else says the food is excellent. Probably a very nice place to stay too. White Barn Inn & Spa | Luxury Hotel in Kennebunkport - Auberge Resorts

Portland is definitely a "foodie" town though, so you can probably find something you will like with an internet search.

If you're in the Boston area and find yourself in Salem- stay away during the month of October. Not kidding, Halloween is a month long thing there and traffic and crowds are crazy (I used to live there). But the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem is worth a visit.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane

I recommend you try Moxie

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I can give you some recommendations of places I like, I don't go out much these days and when I do it's usually when family is visiting so we generally go to "family" type restaurants. That said:

Benkay Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar in Portland. Very good Japanese food. Benkay Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar: Portland, Maine

Royal River Grill in Yarmouth. Good food, nice setting right on the river by the boatyard. Yarmouth is in between Portland and Freeport. Royal River Grill House

Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro in Freeport. Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro

For more upscale places I can give you two, I haven't been to either but I'd be pretty confident that the food will be good. In Portland there is DiMillo's, right down in the heart of the Old Port. I believe this is one of the "must go to" places in Portland, specializing in seafood. You might need reservations. https://www.dimillos.com

The other place is the White Barn Inn, in Kennebunkport (about 40 minutes south of Portland). My niece actually works at the hotel and my understanding is they have two restaurants there- one VERY nice, the other just very nice. I think I'm the only one in my immediate family that hasn't been there yet but everyone else says the food is excellent. Probably a very nice place to stay too. White Barn Inn & Spa | Luxury Hotel in Kennebunkport - Auberge Resorts

Portland is definitely a "foodie" town though, so you can probably find something you will like with an internet search.

If you're in the Boston area and find yourself in Salem- stay away during the month of October. Not kidding, Halloween is a month long thing there and traffic and crowds are crazy (I used to live there). But the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem is worth a visit.

back in 2010 I think it was the wife and I went up to Portland for playoff hockey against the Monarchs. We went to this wings place that was right across from the arena. Place was great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad