Post-Game Talk: #82: Flyers at Islanders, Sunday, April 10, 2016

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Really happy to see Medvedev, Laughton and Umberger all score.

Even to see Vinny do well in LA at the end of the day is nice. All our scratches did a good job of being professionals and not being a distraction. Oh and can't forget Gagner. Accepting his assignment showed a lot of character.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Schenn ability to be a top 6 player and elevate his game when needed is one of the flyers biggest successes this year. Now he needs to be more consistent.

As for Couts, he proved what everyone already knew in that he can be a 2C. All it took was proper wingers and better match ups. I'm not big into advanced stats but I bet his ozone starts were higher. He did improve his puck handling ability by slowing down and not trying to play at top speed through the neutral zone.

He was pretty damn consistent this year, IMO that was one of his biggest improvemnts this year. Strength on the puck being the other.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Even to see Vinny do well in LA at the end of the day is nice. All our scratches did a good job of being professionals and not being a distraction. Oh and can't forget Gagner. Accepting his assignment showed a lot of character.

Gagner played well this year when he was in the line up. His knock forever has been he can't play defense, yet he was consistently deployed out there with Couturier. For forwards only Simmonds, Couturier and Read had lower 5v5 Zone Start pcts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
"Cup contenders" trying to dodge a team they've eliminated last 2 years. While calling isles pathetic for "tanking" ignoring the fact the Islanders just mopped them 72 hours ago.

The Penguins were also a bad team the last two years. They aren't this year.

Got to say, a lot of these goals today coming from some of the guys you want to see. Laughton, Medvedev, Umberger, 3 point game for Raffl who has had a few games where his ice time was down. Umberger sucks forever, but a sign these guys are staying sharp in practice.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
The Penguins were also a bad team the last two years. They aren't this year.

Got to say, a lot of these goals today coming from some of the guys you want to see. Laughton, Medvedev, Umberger, 3 point game for Raffl who has had a few games where his ice time was down. Umberger sucks forever, but a sign these guys are staying sharp in practice.

I understand that, but the way Rags fans been carrying on the last few years one would think they were in the midst of a dynasty. Just funny to see them dodging a team they've beaten past 2 years.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
He was pretty damn consistent this year, IMO that was one of his biggest improvemnts this year. Strength on the puck being the other.

I didn't mean consistent in that he disappeared as times this year, I meant consistent more in a confidence way. And I agree his number one improvement was his improved strength and balance. He use to get knocked off the puck like a child. He has also learned to skate around defenders rather then try to skate directly through them. I find Laughton is similar in That regards. I always wonder if it comes from bad habits formed in the CHL when they become bigger and faster then most D. I watched a lot of Laughton in the 'shwa and in his last year that 1on1 skate through and/or toe drag was his go to moves, both don't work at this level.

PensBrony 6 9*

That Gudas hip check..hahaha

I had to watch the islanders' stream of the game and the best part of that to me was that their announcers had been joking around the whole time about how bad gudas looked once he wasn't hitting, etc. because the game was meaningless. That hit came in the midst of them literally laughing out loud about him getting dangled or something. They definitely stopped laughing once they saw their boy trying to pry his hip bone out of the boards. the timing was so perfect it was almost like someone told gudas

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I had to watch the Islanders feed tonight. There color guy has to be the worst in the league. He sounds like a senile old man just blabbering played out hockey clichés.

As for hockey, Ghost looked unreal slick tonight.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
.500 hockey. 96 points is a hell of a lot higher then I thought it would be to start the year. Happy to be in the playoffs.

Its actually almost .600 hockey. After the abysmal first 1/3 of the season, pretty impressive.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Indeed, what a moron

Ditto that. He is a moron. I mean, even Meltzer would throw him a bone "Hey, Bill, I don't know much about anything, can you give me a good question to ask so I can get my 200 word article in on time and can go back to sleep? - thanks bro". Bill "click and crickets chirping".

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
What's impressive with Schenn is that in 5 years as an NHL player he has improved his point total in every season.
That's the kind of development you want to see from an offensive player.

The thing about Schenn is that he plays in all the dirty areas and is not afraid. I am amazed about his resilience when getting smashed and his continual commitment to go to those exact same spots where he gets smashed. While he might not be the "best player not playing in the NHL", he is a damn good hockey player and plays a style that O&B love.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I wonder if that was Umberger's last ever game?

As a Flyer for sure. He is a pro and perhaps some teams that need a guy that is good in room and can play 7m a night is okay. The problem is the money. If I was a gm on a bottom team needing some veteran leadership, i'd give him 1M.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
As a Flyer for sure. He is a pro and perhaps some teams that need a guy that is good in room and can play 7m a night is okay. The problem is the money. If I was a gm on a bottom team needing some veteran leadership, i'd give him 1M.

Yea, it was just a bit sad seeing him out there today. He was good in his prime.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
As a Flyers, I think so. He could still be picked up somewhere else on the cheap, if need be.

You and I think alike, but there is a buyout, right? I mean I don't care regarding cap, particularly if it opens a roster spot.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Yea, it was just a bit sad seeing him out there today. He was good in his prime.

I think that was a rare hextall decision. Everyone knew RJ would not play a meaningful game for the flyers again. That was a "thanks for being a good soldier" thing. Bye, RJ. Good luck in your future and be happy to collect those 4+m paychecks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schenn ability to be a top 6 player and elevate his game when needed is one of the flyers biggest successes this year. Now he needs to be more consistent.

As for Couts, he proved what everyone already knew in that he can be a 2C. All it took was proper wingers and better match ups. I'm not big into advanced stats but I bet his ozone starts were higher. He did improve his puck handling ability by slowing down and not trying to play at top speed through the neutral zone.

Significantly higher.

11-12 to 12-13 under Laviolette: 275 OZFO - 473 OZFO = 36.8%

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=22&type=corsi&sort=DZFO&sortdir=DESC

13-14 to 14-15 under Berube: 576 - 823 = 41.2%

15-16 under Hakstol: 241-299 = 44.6%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad