GDT: #82 ⋅ ANA @ VGK ⋅ 7:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I honestly thought Colangelo was one of the best players not on the top line. He was really effective at slipping past Vegas' defensive pressure to bring pucks towards the net. If he keeps playing like that, I see no reason why he shouldn't be on the third line next season.
I like Colangelo because he brings something we don’t have much of: he can fight through contact and use his size to make forward progress.

On another note, he might be out of our ideal age range, but Marchessault was dangerous tonight and he would look great on our team.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
A nice way to end the season. Cutter, Carlsson, and Dostal looked fantastic. I really like Colangelo's game - he could be a difference maker in the bottom 6. Vatrano with the hat trick. And screw Vegas forever.

The future is bright!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Depends on the make-up of the lineup

Cutter-Leo-UFA
Vatrano-Mac-Terry
Colangelo-Zegras-Killorn
Strome fourth line island

Could work...maybe. Problem is if you want Colangelo in the top 6, who do you bump?

Mac and Terry play different ES styles, but both want the puck on their sticks and both love to score goals. They work okay on the PP, but not on ES play.

As for wanting RW Colangelo in the top-6...

Cutter - Leo - Strome
Vatrano - Mac - Colangelo
Killorn - Zegras - Terry
Lundy - Leason - Nesterenko

I want youth pairing forwards. It's much easier to find chemistry between two players than three, especially if we're going to run three Line 2's.

If we're going with our best top-6, then it's mostly the youth group.

Cutter-Leo-Terry
Zegras-Mac-Colangelo
Vatrano-Strome-Killorn (League of Extraodinary Gentlemen)
Lundy-Leason-Nesterenko
McGinn

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like Colangelo because he brings something we don’t have much of: he can fight through contact and use his size to make forward progress.

On another note, he might be out of our ideal age range, but Marchessault was dangerous tonight and he would look great on our team.
I'd be all for it but I'll say he's at his best with a seasoned playmaker like Eichel. So. Maybe a partner for Z. Leo is maybe a couple years off from getting close to his potential. And it would have to be a short term deal if he's even interested in going over to Anaheim to begin with.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Mac and Terry play different ES styles, but both want the puck on their sticks and both love to score goals. They work okay on the PP, but not on ES play.

Cutter - Leo - Strome
Killorn - Zegras - Terry

I want youth pairing forwards. It's much easier to find chemistry between two players than three, especially if we're going to run three Line 2's.

Cutter-Leo-Terry
Zegras-Mac-Colangelo
Lundy-Leason-Nesterenko
McGinn
Well you can say that about any line. Leo, Z, Terry and Mac are all guys that want to control puck possession and be the straw that stirs the drink. The thing is Terry is the most reluctant to pass out of all of them. And I am just loathe to see Cutter and Leo get whatever potential chemistry they're building up get waylaid by Terry's hero puck tendencies.

It's just a common issue I have any time I contemplate next year's lines. Terry just has to figure out a way to play with his teammates better. He can't keep getting by trying to dangle his way between 3 to 5 guys without ending up a possession liability.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well, gentlemen, ladies. We survived another year.

There were a couple of heavy hearted, tear jerkers, though, in Rico's interview post-TDL and all the Silf well-wishes, including Derek Lee's piece at THN.

The old era will be completely gone soon, but how they went out (or away for some) is truly saddening. First the 2021-22 TDL (Lindholm, Manson, & Ricky) and then Getz' exit. Two years later, it's Rico at the TDL and Silfy's exit. We're down to Fowler and Gibby.

Reactions: Yemeth

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well you can say that about any line. Leo, Z, Terry and Mac are all guys that want to control puck possession and be the straw that stirs the drink. The thing is Terry is the most reluctant to pass out of all of them. And I am just loathe to see Cutter and Leo get whatever potential chemistry they're building up get waylaid by Terry's hero puck tendencies.

It's just a common issue I have any time I contemplate next year's lines. Terry just has to figure out a way to play with his teammates better. He can't keep getting by trying to dangle his way between 3 to 5 guys without ending up a possession liability.

They all want puck control, but Leo, Z, and Mac are willing to pass the puck around. In Mac's first 20 games of the season, he scored 10 goals, but he was also to lift Vatrano and Strome's offense simultaneously. Z can pass and score. Leo is still trying to figure out how to play center on NA ice like a NA center, when he's a finesse guy like Z and Terry.

With Terry, his hero puck tendencies stems from the fact that he's the eldest of the youth core and feels compelled to carry the team like Getz after Getz retired. The problem is Terry isn't Getz and that Terry probably isn't the most talented guy from the youth core. Z passing up Terry in scoring last year helped to relax Terry some. It didn't help that the problem re-started itself when we got a new head coach and Terry, again, put everyone all on his shoulders.

Getz retired too early for Terry's sake. Maybe Terry getting demoted to the 3rd line in the last game sent a message to Terry, but I think it was a token message when it should have been sent earlier. I still believe in Terry, but it might take some time for him to finally get it. It took some time for Terry to finally become an NHL product, but, unfortunately, it came on Getz' last year in the league.

IMO, keep Terry with Z. Terry is most productive with Z and Terry can trust Z.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Didn't watch the game but good to end the season on a positive note. I hope that this game is the turning point and a sneak peak into the brighter future.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just finishing up watching this morning, so nice to wrap up a tough year on a very positive note. Dostal was very sharp and the top young guns were buzzing - bodes well for the future.

Hopefully this was the last season as a bottom feeder for many years now. Not expecting a miracle run to contention next year, but it's time to improve and be more consistently competitive.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It’s almost weird the season is over after that one because they played well and because of the excitement around Gauthier jumping in. Almost felt like last night was the first game of next season, hopefully it was a metaphor for next season.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Cutter - Leo - Strome
Killorn - Zegras - Terry

Cutter-Leo-Terry
Zegras-Mac-Colangelo
Lundy-Leason-Nesterenko
McGinn
If you don't like Terry with Mac, how can you like him with Z? I like Z with Mac. I would run Terry with Lundy and Leason/Colangelo.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
How did you guys feel about Leason at center last night? Better/same/worse than he is at wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad